Anybody following VW's fuck up?

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

ccrow
Gunny

Re: Anybody following VW's fuck up?

Post by ccrow »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
ccrow wrote: For decades car makers have gamed the mileage tests in a less blatant way. Cars are designed / tuned for good mileage on the EPA tests, which are the only mileage stats you can put in an ad, often at the expense of real world mileage. In reality nobody drives 55 mph like the test, so real mileage doesn't match up with EPA mileage.
This hasn't been the case for a while. Hyundai was 1 or 2 MPG generous on their assessment, the EPA said it didn't match up with real-world driving, and Hyundai paid a fine and had to repay owners the difference in the amount they spent on gas.
I think they got fined for exaggerating their EPA mileage. Fudging test results is not the same as tuning to the test rather than real world driving, the test does not involve a real world speed. Optimizing the car for mileage at the test speed would not be illegal, as long as you don't make any false claims about other speeds. But I believe the law prohibits auto makers from advertising mileage claims about anything but the EPA tests.

I imagine that with modern electronic controls that sweet-spot effect may be reduced but I doubt it's been eliminated. It's not strictly software.

BTW, Hyundai and Kia have also been fined for misrepresenting emissions.
But when I stand in front of the mirror and really look, I wonder: What the fuck happened here? Jesus Christ. What a beating!

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:Regardless of disbelief in global carbon being an issue, the specific problem with VW was higher than allowed NOX emissions which have well understood, very serious impacts in terms smog and particulates.
The specific problem with VW was that they tried to do for the consumers what consumers would most likely do themselves.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Turdacious wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Regardless of disbelief in global carbon being an issue, the specific problem with VW was higher than allowed NOX emissions which have well understood, very serious impacts in terms smog and particulates.
The specific problem with VW was that they tried to do for the consumers what consumers would most likely do themselves.
Far be it from me to hold out as the law and order candidate but I would say the problem is that they committed fraud and sold a very expensive product that did not perform as billed. That's a problem.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

dead man walking wrote:
DARTH wrote:OK so the issue is they fudged their chips so you can pass emissions inspection? is that what this is? Am I reading this right?

If that's all it is good for VW owners!
so break the laws you don't like? thus an afghan can fuck a boy.

I, not owning a VW have not broken shit. And it's not the consumers fault either. I am just saying unless you are overly micro concerned with air pollution ( again seeing as the developing world, China and India spit all kinds of shit into the sky like it was 1930s Pittsburgh x 10) I just can't see why anyone other than the powers at be really give a fuck. Especially how fucked up an emissions inspection can go.

So people with newer VW diesels like my buddy sleazed and will sleaze through inspections without they doing any sleazing of their own. No, I don't give a fuck and no boys got goat mucus tainted dick up the ass.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

you have no understanding about air pollution. given your ignorance about the harm it has caused--lung disease, aggravating heart disease, asthma, emergency room visits, premature death-you have no business commenting on it.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape »

I was going to put it more nicely, but yes: soot emissions are distinguishable from GHG emissions. PM-10 and PM-2.5 are bad news for the local - not global - environment (soot emissions do affect the global environment but I'm trying to keep this local).

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Turdacious wrote:
Far be it from me to hold out as the law and order candidate but I would say the problem is that they committed fraud and sold a very expensive product that did not perform as billed. That's a problem.
But now they are buying very expensive products (politicians and lobbyists) that they will expect to perform as billed. Balance pertains.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Turdacious wrote: But now they are buying very expensive products (politicians and lobbyists) that they will expect to perform as billed. Balance pertains.

=D> =D> =D>

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

dead man walking wrote:you have no understanding about air pollution. given your ignorance about the harm it has caused--lung disease, aggravating heart disease, asthma, emergency room visits, premature death-you have no business commenting on it.

I'll slit your throat and comment on your wife's dicksucking skills as you die. My business is what ever I make it.

So all the VW diesels are worse than all the other shit in the air, ground and water?

I'm not saying the powers that be should not go after them for this fraud but I don't see why a regular person is going to get incensed about VW diesels being a bit dirtier than they should be.

Let's see a fucked up POTUS race, ISIS and the Russians in the sandbox, the economy still sucks dick and where it was when the dems first screamed RECESSION! The former catamite in the white house wants and army of beaners and jawas imported, ect. Yeah a dirty VW here and there bothers me.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

DARTH wrote: So all the VW diesels are worse than all the other shit in the air, ground and water?

I'm not saying the powers that be should not go after them for this fraud but I don't see why a regular person is going to get incensed about VW diesels being a bit dirtier than they should be.
40 times dirtier

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

So they are like a semi each. Like I said, it's one thing for EPA and other regulatory agencies to be going ape shit but unless you are an environmentalist. Sure I think VW needs it's weinerschnetzel smacked, it's just I've had it with outrage over little shit when so much in the world is more immediately fucked.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

DARTH wrote:

I'll slit your throat and comment on your wife's dicksucking skills as you die. My business is what ever I make it.
Gentlemen, we are all friends here. Please let's not let the above gem pass unnoticed in all this other rhetoric.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Just trying to keep the spirit of this place alive. Everyone has become too friendly. :butthead:

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

go fuck yourself, darf, and the horse you rode in on

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMVTOxELjfU[/youtube]

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Shapecharge wrote:
DARTH wrote:

Gentlemen, we are all friends here. Please let's not let the above gem pass unnoticed in all this other rhetoric.
I'm nostalgic for the Clawhammer Era.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Soft cuntery abounds. Even those who formerly had backbones have skittered away to their various masturbatory Bardo dream states.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I saw Harris County is going to sue VW for emissions fuckery. Why didn't the Texas mandated emissions testing pick this up? Is the programming that powerful to detect an third party emissions test done yearly?

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I saw Harris County is going to sue VW for emissions fuckery. Why didn't the Texas mandated emissions testing pick this up? Is the programming that powerful to detect an third party emissions test done yearly?
It was apparently triggered (not sure this is legit) when the engine was revved and the steering wheel had no recent input. Even driving straight requires minor steering corrections, so the computer determined that gas pedal use without steering was a potential emissions test scenario.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

i expect about every state is suing or looking into suing, plus there are something like 25 class-action lawsuits filed, last i knew.

sometimes an ambulance chaser is the good guy.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I saw Harris County is going to sue VW for emissions fuckery. Why didn't the Texas mandated emissions testing pick this up? Is the programming that powerful to detect an third party emissions test done yearly?
It was apparently triggered (not sure this is legit) when the engine was revved and the steering wheel had no recent input. Even driving straight requires minor steering corrections, so the computer determined that gas pedal use without steering was a potential emissions test scenario.

That's clever....and very easy to set up.

Topic author
Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

I'm still wondering how VW techs diagnosed problems plugged into the same port under nearly identical conditions to the emissions testing. Maybe if your VW dealer or specialty shop and you buy their diagnostic computers they talk to the car on "real" terms.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Fucking krauts

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Fucking krauts
They're know to be expert managers of gasses.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 »

Edit: 10/01. B100VW @ 23.55 today-UPDATE from my training journal
edit: 10/02 B100 shr @ 22.75
edit: 10/12 Sold 200 shrs VW @ 30.03 for $1376 profit. I will go back to this in coming weeks & months.
I'm tracking my dipping into VW on my training journal, and will revisit this until I think it's done. So I only netted 1376 bucks during the first six days of the scandal. If I'd had any real balls I'd have bought 2000 share instead of only 200, but will keep going back to this opportunity. Still hoping for more bad press to knock it down into the teens.

Last edited by DikTracy6000 on Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Topic author
Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

Wait for the actual fine amounts to roll in, and then watch the stock tank and make some quick bucks off the dead cat bounce. Should be able to do the same for the lawsuits that follow, but those could drag out for a couple of years.

If you think VW in it's current form is going to pull through and regain market share, sitting on the stock for the long haul is a better strategy. Maybe look at it on a 5 year term.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.