Are there any BBQ people here?

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

newguy
Sgt. Major

Re: Are there any BBQ people here?

Post by newguy »

Ironically enough, the female partner last weekend pointed out that I had an unopened, unbuilt BBQ in the garage. A thermos 22.5 inch grill. Essentially a low rent Weber. This thing has to be 15 years old. But whatever. We decided we were going to grill this weekend.

Built the BBQ last night. Decided to rethink my old BBQ process with idea being KISS.

Grilled hamburgers and hot dogs. Charcoal with some wood chips for a bit of smoke. Best burgers and dogs I've had in forever. Much better than what we've been cooking on the skillet.

The main thing I'm doing different is simplifying the cleaning process. Food was done. Gave the grill a quick scrub with the bristle brush. Covered with the vents closes. I'll empty the ash pan tomorrow. I'm leaving all the charcoal that's left in there. I don't know if that is standard procedure and I was just stupid before, but whatever. Next time I grill I'll scrub the grate, get it hot, scrub it again, and oil it before I cook.

Next up I'll do some chicken breasts. Then a tri tip.

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke »

newguy wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:45 am Ironically enough, the female partner last weekend pointed out that I had an unopened, unbuilt BBQ in the garage. A thermos 22.5 inch grill. Essentially a low rent Weber. This thing has to be 15 years old. But whatever. We decided we were going to grill this weekend.

Built the BBQ last night. Decided to rethink my old BBQ process with idea being KISS.

Grilled hamburgers and hot dogs. Charcoal with some wood chips for a bit of smoke. Best burgers and dogs I've had in forever. Much better than what we've been cooking on the skillet.

The main thing I'm doing different is simplifying the cleaning process. Food was done. Gave the grill a quick scrub with the bristle brush. Covered with the vents closes. I'll empty the ash pan tomorrow. I'm leaving all the charcoal that's left in there. I don't know if that is standard procedure and I was just stupid before, but whatever. Next time I grill I'll scrub the grate, get it hot, scrub it again, and oil it before I cook.

Use new charcoal next time. Or at least scoop all the used coal out, brush the ash away then pick out the good lumps from the little bits and bin those.

Have you got a chimney starter? It’s life changing in terms of charcoal cooking.

Wood chips need to be soaked in water before you chuck them on.

If your bbq is basically a Weber then tbe KISS method is to put the coals on one half of the base and cook on the opposite side of the grill so there is no direct heat rising up to the meat. Cook with the lid on and try not to look.

You could do chicken breasts that way then move them over to directly over the coals at the end if needed.

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke »

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

aussie luke wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:56 pm
newguy wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:45 am Ironically enough, the female partner last weekend pointed out that I had an unopened, unbuilt BBQ in the garage. A thermos 22.5 inch grill. Essentially a low rent Weber. This thing has to be 15 years old. But whatever. We decided we were going to grill this weekend.

Use new charcoal next time. Or at least scoop all the used coal out, brush the ash away then pick out the good lumps from the little bits and bin those.

Have you got a chimney starter? It’s life changing in terms of charcoal cooking.

Wood chips need to be soaked in water before you chuck them on.

If your bbq is basically a Weber then tbe KISS method is to put the coals on one half of the base and cook on the opposite side of the grill so there is no direct heat rising up to the meat. Cook with the lid on and try not to look.

You could do chicken breasts that way then move them over to directly over the coals at the end if needed.
Many thanks for the advice. Wood chips were soaked. But I cooked it the opposite of what you suggested. Put the meat over the flames for a few minutes each side, then moved them to the non heat side and shut the lid. I'm going to do what you suggest the next time. Meat on non direct heat side and then move it for a sear.

Do you put a pan of water on the non charcoal side? I haven't done that yet.

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke »

I never bother with water. Just a drip pan under the meat side.

For things that you want to cook quickly like burgers you were right to grill them directly over the coals. But you need to watch them and flip them. Fat dripping directly onto coals can cause big flare ups.

With things like chicken breast you can probably do it either way round. But if you “roast” a burger first it might fall apart when you go to move it I’d just do then direct like you did