Bannon pardon

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Re: Bannon pardon

Post by nafod »

Fat Cat wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:31 pm
nafod wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:28 pm Good post, Gene

I’ll say that Trump’s speech in isolation might not be much, but in the context of months of scene-setting, it was the final shove.

Take a look at this article. The graphic of cellphone tracks is fascinating on a bunch of different levels.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/05/opin ... Position=2
If you think that the NYT doxxing people via cellphone data who haven't even been charged with a crime is a good luck, I don't know what to say.
Did you read the article or just look at the pictures?
Don’t believe everything you think.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

I read the article. They admitted they couldn't tell if he was in the building or not, but had no qualms about doxxing him.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

I found it interesting for how big tech precisely knows our every move, which was as much or more the point of the article.

As for the doxxee, he was in the riot and posted on social media that "We got inside". Fuck him for being stupid and posting it on Facebook.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

nafod wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:57 pm I found it interesting for how big tech precisely knows our every move, which was as much or more the point of the article.

As for the doxxee, he was in the riot and posted on social media that "We got inside". Fuck him for being stupid and posting it on Facebook.
The only thing you should find interesting here is that we are all at the mercy of unscrupulous tech and media companies who can crush us when we step out of line.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Fat Cat wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:18 pm
nafod wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:57 pm I found it interesting for how big tech precisely knows our every move, which was as much or more the point of the article.

The only thing you should find interesting here is that we are all at the mercy of unscrupulous tech and media companies who can crush us when we step out of line.
We've gone there willingly.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Yes, people need a strong, authoritative leader to explain why unchecked tech and media companies are bad for the country and chart a course in another direction.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

nafod wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:22 pm
Fat Cat wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:18 pm

We've gone there willingly.

The term "willingly" implies a conscious and aware choice. Ain't sure that convenient online shopping and targeted ads necessarily goes hand in hand with being cool with being spied on by your phone.

The people who run Big Tech are "progressive" billionaires. If they wanted to protect us from corporate overreach wouldn't they self enforce that protection?
Don't like yourself too much.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

In this country, Big Tech tells politicians what to do, not the other way around.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

The term "willingly" implies a conscious and aware choice.
The info is out there enough that we are in willful ignorance territory.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

nafod wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:52 am
I disagree, to a point. Try and function in this society without a computer or smartphone and see what a challenge it is. The whole task of political life is to create an environment where families can thrive and prosper, not to allow marauding corporations to harvest people like wild beasts.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

We could have said the same thing about "mortgage pushers" in the 2000s. Do you agree that those 'victims' of "predatory lenders" were also willfully ignorant?

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

Fat Cat wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:35 am In this country, Big Tech tells politicians what to do, not the other way around.
Corporatism has been part of the Progressive worldview since 1933. "Partnerships between Government and Industry".

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

The thing is, you can't be an expert in everything. You don't have enough time in your day to be knowledgeable on everything that has an impact on your life. I can't be a medical expert, a nutritional expert, an expert in technology and sociology, an expert in finance, ect. That's what the role of government should be - to make sure policies are in place that protect me from my blind spots and put me in a position to thrive. Instead we have a government bought off by the very corporations against which they SHOULD be protecting us.

In our society, the wolves have bribed the sheep dogs into opening the fence and looking the other way while they waltz in a feast.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Gene wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:30 pm
Fat Cat wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:35 am In this country, Big Tech tells politicians what to do, not the other way around.
Corporatism has been part of the Progressive worldview since 1933. "Partnerships between Government and Industry".
I'm not sure I would use Progressive. I think what you're describing is the classic NeoLiberal philosophy of what's good for the corporations and their bottom line is good for society. Which basically means what's good for corporations and their bottom line is good for politician's wallets.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:14 pm
I'm not sure I would use Progressive. I think what you're describing is the classic NeoLiberal philosophy of what's good for the corporations and their bottom line is good for society. Which basically means what's good for corporations and their bottom line is good for politician's wallets.
Yes, but look which group today (hint: it's progressives) hold the corporate high-ground of woke capital. All major tech companies, sports leagues, entertainment platforms, media, academia, etc. all are part of the progressive left hive mind. These people literally suck the dick of companies like Apple, Twitter, and Amazon and defend them when they silence right wing critics. In other words, at the present time, the progressive worldview and the corporate worldview are functionally indistinguishable.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Fat Cat wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:39 pm
Yes, but look which group today (hint: it's progressives) hold the corporate high-ground of woke capital. All major tech companies, sports leagues, entertainment platforms, media, academia, etc. all are part of the progressive left hive mind. These people literally suck the dick of companies like Apple, Twitter, and Amazon and defend them when they silence right wing critics. In other words, at the present time, the progressive worldview and the corporate worldview are functionally indistinguishable.
This whole cancel culture on the left is going to set back real progressive action on things that matter by decades. Makes me fucking sick to my stomach. It's a race to the bottom where the only sign of virtue is piling on and ruing the life of anyone who steps out of the approved line. The only funny thing about the whole phenomenon is watching them turn on each other and rip the guts out of one of their own when they make the mistake of having an opinion. Then it becomes a giant game of cancel culture king of the mountain where they have to drag each other down to appear the most virtuous. FUCK. THAT. SHIT.

Easy to ignore the arguments for addressing climate change, universal healthcare, public funded education up to as high of a level as a person can attain, municipal broadband, ending the military industrial stranglehold on our foreign policy, UBI, etc. when you can point to this woke lunacy. These are the things that would actually make this country a place where people can thrive and achieve their personal goals. But as long as woke culture exists, the left will be a laughing stock.

Also, make no mistake that corporate censorship is coming down like Thor's Hammer on real progressive voices that expose our government for the pile of shit it isn. Jimmy Dore, Ron Placone, Lee Camp, Aaron Mate, Graham Elwood and most others who call out our corruption are getting deplatformed and demonetized. Their ability to earn a living is being taken away for speaking truth to power. Progressives that actually care about issues over appearance need to start their own party. I have some small hope for the Movement For A People's Party.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:06 pm
Fat Cat wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:39 pm
This whole cancel culture on the left is going to set back real progressive action on things that matter by decades. Makes me fucking sick to my stomach. It's a race to the bottom where the only sign of virtue is piling on and ruing the life of anyone who steps out of the approved line. The only funny thing about the whole phenomenon is watching them turn on each other and rip the guts out of one of their own when they make the mistake of having an opinion. Then it becomes a giant game of cancel culture king of the mountain where they have to drag each other down to appear the most virtuous. FUCK. THAT. SHIT.

Easy to ignore the arguments for addressing climate change, universal healthcare, public funded education up to as high of a level as a person can attain, municipal broadband, ending the military industrial stranglehold on our foreign policy, UBI, etc. when you can point to this woke lunacy. These are the things that would actually make this country a place where people can thrive and achieve their personal goals. But as long as woke culture exists, the left will be a laughing stock.

Also, make no mistake that corporate censorship is coming down like Thor's Hammer on real progressive voices that expose our government for the pile of shit it isn. Jimmy Dore, Ron Placone, Lee Camp, Aaron Mate, Graham Elwood and most others who call out our corruption are getting deplatformed and demonetized. Their ability to earn a living is being taken away for speaking truth to power. Progressives that actually care about issues over appearance need to start their own party. I have some small hope for the Movement For A People's Party.
Remember when the christians got mad because starbucks didnt put Jesus on their coffee cups and boycotted? Cancel culture has deep roots in the elements on both sides who want to control how others think. But, if you sign a contract, and break the terms of said contract, I dont see that as being cancelled.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

Mike Dukakis said "Partnerships between Government and Industry". FDR said something like it.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:06 pmThis whole cancel culture on the left is going to set back real progressive action on things that matter by decades. Makes me fucking sick to my stomach. It's a race to the bottom where the only sign of virtue is piling on and ruing the life of anyone who steps out of the approved line. The only funny thing about the whole phenomenon is watching them turn on each other and rip the guts out of one of their own when they make the mistake of having an opinion. Then it becomes a giant game of cancel culture king of the mountain where they have to drag each other down to appear the most virtuous. FUCK. THAT. SHIT.
Shutting people up gives some people a sense of power. Why stop at the "forces of reaction"? I agree, it's not not cool.

I even think KKK members should have free speech. Humor is the best response to them. If they would look into their own hearts they might realize that it's their character not the color of their skin.
Alfred_E._Neuman wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:06 pmProgressives that actually care about issues over appearance need to start their own party.
They did once. Called the Republican Party. Ended slavery. Trust busters.

I don't have an answer to Woke except to encourage them to trash each other. Toss them shovels, gasoline, and encouragement.

Hoping that the thoughtful people will remain, will listen, will create new things that work for people.