Biden's America: rioting in Minnesota

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Biden's America: rioting in Minnesota

Post by baffled »

Shaf,

I told someone the other day that even a shitty dad is better than no dad in most cases. At the least it shows you what you don't want to be, the rest is up to you. I'd be example number one here with a narcissistic and psychologically abusive dad, but I also had an amazing mom and good people around me. Community and all that.

I'd be interested if someday someone manages to do interviews with the rioters from BLM and the twerps in Antifa to see how their relationships with their fathers were.

I'd also be interested to see what the dads on the Proud Boys side of things were like. I'm guessing present, but... maybe not lot of IQs over 100.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

baffled wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:01 pmI told someone the other day that even a shitty dad is better than no dad in most cases. At the least it shows you what you don't want to be, the rest is up to you. I'd be example number one here with a narcissistic and psychologically abusive dad, but I also had an amazing mom and good people around me. Community and all that.
Do you think you're an outlier in this case? I dated someone with an NPD parent, and that left some marks. It seems like the typical advice to a spouse of an NPD person is "Your kids are better off without that parent around."
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Sua Sponte
Gunny

Post by Sua Sponte »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:33 pm Do you think you're an outlier in this case? I dated someone with an NPD parent, and that left some marks. It seems like the typical advice to a spouse of an NPD person is "Your kids are better off without that parent around."
He did say this was true in most cases.

Further, NPD is present in 1% or less of the population and this has been consistent for decades. I'm not speaking of the current trend of calling any act deemed unacceptable to social media being attributed to the accused suffering NPD. Everybody is a narcissist to some degree, but it usually doesn't rise to a disorder (ambiguous means of diagnosis notwithstanding). So yes, he's an outlier.

Then again, you dated somebody who claims s/he had an NPD parent, so you can hardly be anything less than an expert.

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:33 pm
baffled wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:01 pmI told someone the other day that even a shitty dad is better than no dad in most cases. At the least it shows you what you don't want to be, the rest is up to you. I'd be example number one here with a narcissistic and psychologically abusive dad, but I also had an amazing mom and good people around me. Community and all that.
Do you think you're an outlier in this case? I dated someone with an NPD parent, and that left some marks. It seems like the typical advice to a spouse of an NPD person is "Your kids are better off without that parent around."
Sua Sponte already got you for it, but you see the word in italics? The "most"?

And for me, n=1 and all that, I still think it was better to have my dad around because he did instill a certain caution in me that my mother couldn't have accomplished on her own. Kept me out of getting into more trouble than I did. And while he's broken, he's probably not as broken as others.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman