Collapse of Civilization is the Most Likely Outcome

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Collapse of Civilization is the Most Likely Outcome

Post by Bram »

There were a couple different pieces in this month's Forbes that I thought were optimistic on the world's future economically (although not environmentally).

The cover story, on "Greater Capitalism"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/randalllan ... d6378371c1

couple key points:

* with the pandemic a lot of colleges will go out of business or be forced to merge, that with the shift towards more online programs should dramatically lower the cost of higher education that leaves many people saddled in debt

* similarly, telehealth has skyrocketed, with the accompanying lower costs

* some companies, in the article notably AirBnB and Verizon, made commitments to their employees (and the general public in Verizon's case) over the shareholders

* a move in philanthropy into getting money to the people who need it now vs. legacy projects decades from today

----

And a book review on "The Cure That Works: How to Have the World's Best Healthcare -- at a Quarter of the Price " (Forbes review not available, but here's the book):

Whole Foods Markets, the State of Indiana, and innovators around the world have used forgotten American ideas to slash healthcare costs by 75 percent while simultaneously delivering true universal access, coverage for preexisting conditions, and an ironclad safety net.

Economics for Dummies author Sean Flynn explains that simple things—like price tags, competition, and plentiful health savings contributions—crush costs while granting everyone equal access to the world’s best healthcare services.
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Bram wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:52 pm * with the pandemic a lot of colleges will go out of business or be forced to merge, that with the shift towards more online programs should dramatically lower the cost of higher education that leaves many people saddled in debt.
Seismic doesn't begin the describe the impact this is having on higher ed.

Normally at a university, to do any sort of experiment with humans, you have to go through a significant process of approvals involving an IRB. I saw someone suggest that they should follow the same process for having students come back this Fall, as it is basically a big experiment.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Universities are scams at this point. For profit degree mills run by communists.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Plus a good chance there’ll be limited football revenue this year. I foresee a lot of unprofitable sports getting pulled.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Fat Cat wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:25 pm Universities are scams at this point. For profit degree mills run by communists.
May you fly in an airplane designed by a graduate of Halakawakalalei High.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

I think universities as they've currently been marketed are going to go away. You'll no longer have tens of thousands of people wanting to go into massive debt to get some BS in "business" or "management". Universities will go back to what they were always intended to be - where you learn high level shit. Either STEM career training or extreme navel gazing in the arts and humanities. Everyone else will go back to doing it the way Ra intended - learning on the job or going to a trade school to learn specific skills needed to earn money.

We're starting to get a bit worried about the wife's medium term prospects. She teaches elementary PE/Health, and we're getting just a little concerned about budget cuts. We figure if the belt gets tightened, specials will be the one of the first places they look to save money. We know the contracts and budgets are good for next school year, but if the economy craters and tax revenue dries up it might be a different picture for the following year.
Luckily she's been in a leadership role and is taking the courses to move into admin if needed.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

nafod wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:05 pm
Fat Cat wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:25 pm Universities are scams at this point. For profit degree mills run by communists.
May you pilot a plane that was designed by someone who got an engineering degree after the queer studies department eliminates STEM because the Enlightenment was “racist”.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

nafod wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:05 pm
Racist towards Hawaiians and Polynesians in general. Cancel nafod!
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

White men built the SR-71 Blackhawk with slide rules. And went to the moon with solid state tech (which we should still be using).

There is no magic dirt or Institutions.

There's just different racial groups with different sets of abilities and defects.

Japs and Whites build airplanes. Universities don't.

Witness high IQ chinks and super abstract mathematical Poos not being able to do it.

Enjoy 7 inch long fingernail shaniqua and curry body odor surimababba patel guiding you into interstellar travel.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Bennyonesix1 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:13 am White men built the SR-71 Blackhawk with slide rules. And went to the moon with solid state tech (which we should still be using).

There is no magic dirt or Institutions.

There's just different racial groups with different sets of abilities and defects.

Japs and Whites build airplanes. Universities don't.

Witness high IQ chinks and super abstract mathematical Poos not being able to do it.

Enjoy 7 inch long fingernail shaniqua and curry body odor surimababba patel guiding you into interstellar travel.
Needs soundtrack
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

Imagine any groups other than Japs and Whitey doing this.

Imagine any other group even thinking this is worth it.

https://youtu.be/obcya0ze6Zo

But yeah, a CalTech devoid of white dudes is gonna make stuff like the SR-71.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

I saw as a kid one of the last flights out of Nellis. The plane leaked gas on the runway because of the thermal expansion at speed. They had to get the thing flying fast as shit just to get the panels to seal. Coolest plane I have ever seen.