Come out Come Out you Junkies

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Which of these have you taken regardless of Rx'd or recreational

Poll ended at Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:49 pm

Anti-depressants (SSRIs, TriCyclics etc)
7%
Opiates (H, Dilaudid, Morphine, Oxy, vicodan etc.)
12%
Weed
17%
Stims (Ritalin, Coke, Meth)
13%
Alcohol (communion wine up to a three day Tequila binge)
21%
Psychedelics and related (DMT, LSD, Shrooms, MDMA, GHB)
12%
Benzos and downers (Xanax, Valium, Atavan, Klonipin, thorazine)
9%
Hormones and precursors (HGH,T, DHEA, Peptides, Anabolics, etc)
9%

Total votes: 203

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Come out Come Out you Junkies

Post by powerlifter54 »

Booze and T. Waited until i was done competing drug tested to address what i always suspected was relatively low T. Brought up in Alcoholic home in Alcoholic town. Then an entire adult life in the Navy. :drinkers: Two times realized was very close to a drinking problem. So decided to prioritize. And when the hangovers really began to hurt more than they were worth became a social drinker at best.

Always been drug tested at work so no real interest in recreational stuff. Wrestle long and hard with legalization. Leaning that way but greatly oppose rehab on the back of society. Believe addiction is more of a bad habit you learn by constant practice and calling it a disease is an excuse.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw »

The stupid, it burns.
My cousin is a redheaded german-mexican, we call him a beanerschnitzel

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Batting .500. Doesn't matter which.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Substance abuse, physical injury, and a broken heart lead me to a bad place.

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw »

Rugby?

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote: broken heart lead me to a bad place.
Guess what feels just like love?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtz8qZz6s8s[/youtube]
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Kind of, I sustained a knee injury and could barely walk, then I got beaten up by a dick bouncer whom my stripper girlfriend was fucking on the side, and the combination of all that, plus booze, lead me to think I could shoot one of them as they left the club after closing time. There was some booze and some Vicodin involved.

Earlier that day I put 50 rounds through it and sighted it in.

The door opened and I thought "What the fuck am I doing?". I unloaded everything, put the gun in he trunk, and drove home and started getting my shit together the next day. Definitely a weird episode

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Honest query..did it help your pain? for real? I find opiates work not super well for actual pain (muscle repair, hernia surgery, knee reconstruction etc). Was the back injury chronic or acute onset?

If I might also inquire, what was your daily dose and did you ever mix, say a cold Rainier on a summer day and couple 10mg Vics?
I fell climbing a cliff in the Queen Charlotte Islands and wracked my back pretty good. So: Extreme sudden onset. The Vicodin worked well for the pain. It did not eliminate it, but it dulled it to a bearable level. I still walked with a stick, sort of bent over like an old Chinese man in one of those paintings. I could not walk more than one city block.

I don't recall the dose, but if you say 10mg is usual, I guess that would have been it. I normally took one in the morning, one or two in the afternoon, and one to sleep. I continued my normal regimen of drinking (couple three drinks a night.) Didn't notice any extraordinary drunkenness, but it did have a salutary effect on the pain.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Getting my ass beat by that dude when I could barely walked was maybe the worst thing. About a year later when I was healed up and feeling mean again I returned the favor

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Kind of, I sustained a knee injury and could barely walk, then I got beaten up by a dick bouncer whom my stripper girlfriend was fucking on the side, and the combination of all that, plus booze, lead me to think I could shoot one of them as they left the club after closing time. There was some booze and some Vicodin involved.

Earlier that day I put 50 rounds through it and sighted it in.

The door opened and I thought "What the fuck am I doing?". I unloaded everything, put the gun in he trunk, and drove home and started getting my shit together the next day. Definitely a weird episode
WOW..

I believe that's what they call...a moment of clarity, which usually follows a moment of near tragedy.

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:The door opened and I thought "What the fuck am I doing?". I unloaded everything, BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! Bodies everywhere, just piling up. The barrel was red by the time my magazine was up. I surveyed my work, put the gun in he trunk, and drove home and started getting my shit together the next day.

milosz

Post by milosz »

As a wee wastrel I thought I was an explorer willing to try anything once. Realized I was depressed and maybe ADHD and self-medicated.

Opiates - snorted heroin once, it was too good. Couldn't play with that shit. Got Vicodin for a couple of small things, mostly didn't like that they dulled my mind and made my dick soft.

Uppers - Adderall and similar whenever the opportunity presented itself, a fair amount of coke when wealthier friends supplied. Coke is awesome, the worst things about it are the assholes you do it with.

Hallucinogens - lots of ecstasy and mushrooms, nothing but the highest recommendation. If I had a quality source and good people to do them with, I'd be in. Acid was too much of a mind-fuck, but I was young and stupid and never did less than five hits of liquid.

Pot - I get cotton mouth from hell, so it's never been a viable option, especially socially.

Booze - hard binger circa college and after, quit for six years when I decided I was partying too much. Have varied in intake since picking it up again. Lately I've been getting bad hangovers and depressed with even a few drinks so I'm probably going to quit completely.

Only shit I've seen so serious damage to anyone I cared about over the years has been meth and alcohol. We'd be better off criminalizing booze and handing out mushrooms on the street corners.

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

I would pay serious money to do DMT or Ayahuasca with a fundie. Give me 20 minutes and I'll peel 6000 years of Abrahamic bullshit right out of your soul and feed you to your own god....and you'll like it.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Good.
Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Getting my ass beat by that dude when I could barely walked was maybe the worst thing. About a year later when I was healed up and feeling mean again I returned the favor

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

That is a fucking kickass song. I've really been digging on the Stones lately.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Shafpocalypse Now wrote: broken heart lead me to a bad place.
Guess what feels just like love?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtz8qZz6s8s[/youtube]

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

When I first started writing for Rolling Stone about 1969, I was doing a lot of weed. It was my drug of choice. But then I'd get done with a day's work, fire up a joint, and get paranoid. "A million people are going to read what I wrote today. They'll think I'm an asshole. I am an asshole."

Booze was much better. I'd pour a glass, think, "well, a million people are going to read what I wrote today and they'll think I'm an asshole. Fuck 'em."

louburr
Staff Sergeant

Post by louburr »

currently none of the above. I suck at life

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

6 of 8.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

powerlifter54 wrote: Believe addiction is more of a bad habit you learn by constant practice and calling it a disease is an excuse.
I honestly thought this way until a few months back. But humor me: if addiction as disease is true, then even if as much as 10% gets/has the affliction, then the other 90% should not suffer by way of illegal activity that should not be illegal, which is one reason why I am pro legalization.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

The Venerable Bogatir X wrote:
powerlifter54 wrote: Believe addiction is more of a bad habit you learn by constant practice and calling it a disease is an excuse.
I honestly thought this way until a few months back. But humor me: if addiction as disease is true, then even if as much as 10% gets/has the affliction, then the other 90% should not suffer by way of illegal activity that should not be illegal, which is one reason why I am pro legalization.

Can't disagree with that logic. My growing Libertarianism leads to me people generally being allowed to do what they want to their own bodies. My limit is reached at the point where for example folks ride motorcycles helmetless than want gubmint to fix them when they sustain a brain injury; same with somebody who becomes addicted then wants government provided rehab.

Own your freedom. YMMV.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

The Venerable Bogatir X wrote:
It's an utterly fascinating question that I think we are asking the wrong way. In some ways it is such a complicated soup that any one answer just fills out a little bit of the frame. On the one hand, PL54 is predictably regressive in calling it an excuse. For those who suffer from the experience of addiction, if anything, admitting that is so far removed from being an excuse as to be laughable. This is one area I think that 12 step really gets it right. While it sucks to admit to powerlessness in the face of something, you have only to face powerlessness once to realize..it's not admitting defeat, it's admitting the obvious.

So...sorry to call you regressive jack..but you are on this notion.

OTOH...as we investigate more and more about the malleability and plasticity of the mind and it gets harder and harder to defend the notion of "free will" from a neurological perspective, it becomes clear that the power of habit, whehter that's feeding certain receptors exogenously or endogenously whether that habit is "healthy" or not is somewhat irrelevant. You ARE biochemically, what you repeatedly DO. The brain is in a constant state of rewiring and it does appear than given the right set of circumstances, if you DO one thing and NOT another thing long enough, you literally change your biochemistry and gene expression.

IDK where the current state of addiction science is at in the mainstream but I find the emerging brain science and the way that the prior work on physical addiction (cocaine rats) has now been demolished to be intriguing. Unlike the mainstream discussion of addiction disease i think the actual definition falls short in a different way...
a particular abnormal condition, a disorder of a structure or function, that affects part or all of an organism. The causal study of disease is called pathology. Disease is often construed as a medical condition associated with specific symptoms and signs.
I don;'t think physical addiction is any more abnormal than any other strongly reinforced habituation, just that the addiction pattern is mal-adaptive in the same way that depression becomes maladpative.

It's a rich topic for thought. Especially that there seems to be certain "reset" functions that may be present in certain types of DMT chemicals that are worth a tremendous amount of increased study. This is an area we're definitely going to look back on and thing that the study of the brain in the early 21st century was utterly medieval.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Good stuff. I read, maybe here, about how after Vietnam, a lot of guys coming back who had been doing opiods came home and didn't bring a habit with them. The change of context, or perhaps return to the pre-drug context, let them leave it behind.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Grandpa's Spells wrote:Good stuff. I read, maybe here, about how after Vietnam, a lot of guys coming back who had been doing opiods came home and didn't bring a habit with them. The change of context, or perhaps return to the pre-drug context, let them leave it behind.
Not expecting you to answer this and I can reference anecdotal dog behavior WRT change of context that somewhat supports what you say: but I would like to know the breakdown of those who 'got out' of the military vs. those who stayed in the military. Nearly by default, as PL54 indicated, if you stay in, you likely stay away from getting piss popped....same if you move onto LEO, FD, ect.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

What I have done is between me and my polygraph examiner, and also the Chinese hackers who cracked into the government security records database.
Don’t believe everything you think.

knuckles
Gunny

Post by knuckles »

The disease concept is still confusing .If it is ,I have it. They say my brain is different then yours. That I possibly changed its chemistry with regular abuse Look here

THIQ-Biochemical Culprit.

The Alcoholic can take on responsibility for arresting their disease.

Know what i know for fuckin sure?. If i pick up it will be a matter of couple weeks maybe before Im in a complete spiral. I don't want to be in that spiral.I don't want to lose my jobs or my son or my self respect. I start to lose the ability to make the correct choice. it makes me want to take everything to the point of death

I have sat in front of a plate of cocain with my left arm gone completely numb holding two fingers on my neck feeling my fluttering pulse and going back in to snort another obscenely large line. fucking suicide...if not a disease, its a mental illness.