Face Masks Make You Stupid

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: Face Masks Make You Stupid

Post by Fat Cat »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:05 am This is all well and good, but did you know in 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit.
These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground.
Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-team
Hi five!
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

NAFOD, "WHY CAN'T WE BE MORE LIKE EEEEEEUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRROOOOOPE?"

-We have clear signs: The third wave in Germany has already begun," Lothar Wieler, head of the Robert Koch Institute for Infectious Diseases, told reporters during a news conference Friday.

-German Chancellor Angela Merkel had previously warned the country could be caught in a third wave of infections if restrictive public health measures were lifted too quickly.

-Italy, meanwhile, is reportedly set to impose another near national lockdown over the Easter weekend in an effort to curb the spread of the virus.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/03/12/ger ... ssion=true
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Cover your germhole
Don’t believe everything you think.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

nafod wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:05 pm Cover your germhole
:butthead: Pucker up and you might just be able to do it yourself.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Nearly a year after California Gov. Gavin Newsom ordered the nation’s first statewide shutdown because of the coronavirus, masks remain mandated, indoor dining and other activities are significantly limited, and Disneyland remains closed.

By contrast, Florida has no statewide restrictions. Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis has prohibited municipalities from fining people who refuse to wear masks. And Disney World has been open since July.

Despite their differing approaches, California and Florida have experienced almost identical outcomes in COVID-19 case rates.

https://apnews.com/article/public-healt ... f524c33047

Lockdowns, mask mandates, etc. don't work, they just damage the economy. The salient quote, "Imposing strict measures, like forbidding families from visiting grandparents and friends from gathering, is like taking an abstinence-only approach to combating drug use and sexually transmitted disease, said Adalja, of Johns Hopkins University."

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

In addition, I just saw an article but did not read it in depth about Covid waves.

They just seem to happen and it's not clear why. Cases skyrocket. Then they taper off. This seems to happen regardless how the government intervenes.

Is is people self regulating behavior in response to higher numbers? Something else?

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

newguy wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:19 pm Is is people self regulating behavior in response to higher numbers? Something else?
I think so. Even in North Dakota people started wearing masks once folks started dying around them. Of course the dying lags the infecting by enough so the whole process oscillates up and down.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

So apparently 6 feet of social distancing is now 3 feet? And was based on the research of a 19th century physician?

Question that I don't remember seeing in this thread, but why didn't we see massive Covid spikes after the BLM protests and riots, the Democrat parties in the streets after DJT was defeated, or in Tampa after the Bucs won the Super Bowl?

I'm actually eligible because of the work I do for the county to get the jab, but I can't find a place with supply of the J&J vaccine, so I'm waiting.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

The germ gets dispersed outside.

Poor ventilation, close to others, loud people. That’s what spreads it.

My mRNA vaccine hasn’t killed me yet. Fingers crossed.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

I doubt it will. You're also old and feeble with a declining immune system, so it's worth it for you to try and squeeze out a few years if you can.
- Buck Brannaman

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

It comes with free telemeres

I'm going to live to 1000

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

nafod wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:23 pm It comes with free telemeres

I'm going to live to 1000
It's "telomere" and yours are damaged from pinko politics.

lasalle

Post by lasalle »

Fat Cat wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:45 pm Nearly a year after California Gov. Gavin Newsom ordered the nation’s first statewide shutdown because of the coronavirus, masks remain mandated, indoor dining and other activities are significantly limited, and Disneyland remains closed.

By contrast, Florida has no statewide restrictions. Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis has prohibited municipalities from fining people who refuse to wear masks. And Disney World has been open since July.

Despite their differing approaches, California and Florida have experienced almost identical outcomes in COVID-19 case rates.

https://apnews.com/article/public-healt ... f524c33047

Lockdowns, mask mandates, etc. don't work, they just damage the economy. The salient quote, "Imposing strict measures, like forbidding families from visiting grandparents and friends from gathering, is like taking an abstinence-only approach to combating drug use and sexually transmitted disease, said Adalja, of Johns Hopkins University."
Dig deeper, though. California is a very, very large place. There are many places filled with ignorant hill people and desert dwellers that have resisted mask mandates and social distancing. Their numbers are bad, and it pulls down the overall California numbers.

But compare Miami to the SF Bay Area, which has been much more stringent in masking and taking precautions, and the results are quite a bit different:
Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 1.53.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 1.53.53 PM.png (230.9 KiB) Viewed 3911 times
More detail:
"Looking at monthly death rates, the Bay Area and San Francisco were higher in the first month of the pandemic, but Miami-Dade quickly surged ahead and has recorded the highest rates of deaths throughout the pandemic compared to the other regions, with a peak of 33 per 100,000 in September.

In Orange County, the death rate remained low until the summer, when deaths spiked and hit a monthly peak of 12 per 100,000 in July. The Bay Area and San Francisco recorded lower death rates until the winter surge. In January, the Bay Area had a death rate of 22 and San Francisco’s was 16 per 100,000, both higher than Orange County.

But according to the Los Angeles Times, the cumulative death rate in Florida has been higher than California’s throughout the pandemic. In the fall it went as high as 84% more, and during the winter surge dropped to an 11% difference."

source: https://www.sfchronicle.com/local/artic ... 031518.php

tl;dr masks and reasonable social precautions lower the rate of infection and death.

As to whether or not that's worth the economic cost, I could go either way.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

lasalle wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:04 pm tl;dr masks and reasonable social precautions lower the rate of infection and death.

As to whether or not that's worth the economic cost, I could go either way.
COVID-19 deaths in Florida were 1.5/1000 and 1.4/1000 in California, statistically insignificant, probably due to geographic distribution and not attributable to any policy. However, there were +24,000 more actual dead people in California. But, we get it, you like heavy handed authoritarian government. It makes you feel safe.

lasalle

Post by lasalle »

Fat Cat wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:46 pm NAFOD, "WHY CAN'T WE BE MORE LIKE EEEEEEUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRROOOOOPE?"

-We have clear signs: The third wave in Germany has already begun," Lothar Wieler, head of the Robert Koch Institute for Infectious Diseases, told reporters during a news conference Friday.

-German Chancellor Angela Merkel had previously warned the country could be caught in a third wave of infections if restrictive public health measures were lifted too quickly.

-Italy, meanwhile, is reportedly set to impose another near national lockdown over the Easter weekend in an effort to curb the spread of the virus.

I don't think anyone would argue that Europe is something to model ourselves after. Asia and Australia/NZ however, have this shit on absolute lockdown.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through a pandemic, but that’s what we’ve done.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

lasalle wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:29 pm
Fat Cat wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:46 pm NAFOD, "WHY CAN'T WE BE MORE LIKE EEEEEEUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRROOOOOPE?"

I don't think anyone would argue that Europe is something to model ourselves after. Asia and Australia/NZ however, have this shit on absolute lockdown.
Actually, using Europe as an exemplar of superior coronavirus responses has been repeatedly tried by our village idiot, nafod. And, let's be frank, you're not exactly distinguishing yourself here comparing islands with no civil liberties to large, fractious continental nations like the US. It's almost like their lack of diversity is a strength.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

nafod wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:45 pm Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through a pandemic, but that’s what we’ve done.
Just not as fat, drunk, or stupid as your heroes in Czechia, Slovenia, Belgium, UK, Hungary, Italy, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Moldova... :-({|=

Our federal system meant that COVID-19 response was doomed from the outset by the lack of a unified response. That lack of unified response can be laid directly at the feet of the Democrats in congress who preferred to grandstand on impeachment gayness and call bans on China travel racist than create the legal platform for a more cohesive response.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Why do you think I hold up Europe as winners in this? Other than that you’re stupid?

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

nafod wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:11 pm Why do you think I hold up Europe as winners in this? Other than that you’re stupid?
Yes, I'm stupid, but stupidity does not affect memory. We all remember: http://irongarmx.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... 28#p899428

lasalle

Post by lasalle »

Actually, using Europe as an exemplar of superior coronavirus responses has been repeatedly tried by our village idiot, nafod. And, let's be frank, you're not exactly distinguishing yourself here comparing islands with no civil liberties to large, fractious continental nations like the US. It's almost like their lack of diversity is a strength.

Yes, Australia and NZ are hotbeds of authoritarian governments. Good point.

lasalle

Post by lasalle »

Fat Cat wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:24 pm But, we get it, you like heavy handed authoritarian government. It makes you feel safe.
hahaha-indeed. Especially when it makes me call it "Daddy".

Tell us, will you be vaccinated, or it that yet another commie boot on the neck of the free white man?

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

My dad either had a minor stroke last night or the second injection royally fucked him up. He ran a fever of 101, with Tylenol.

Couldn't find the word for his arm or hand, got belligerent, couldn't walk on his own and I had to lift him into bed. When I got over there my mom was on the phone with the advice line through their medical insurance and they were at a loss.

He's still sleeping at the moment.

Oddly enough, I'm still glad he got both injections. Assuming he didn't have a stroke, he'll be better off and able to fight infection in a way that his compromised immune system otherwise couldn't.

There's precisely zero chance I'll be getting this shit though. Johnson & Johnson or bust, brah.
- Buck Brannaman

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

lasalle wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:49 am
Fat Cat wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:24 pm But, we get it, you like heavy handed authoritarian government. It makes you feel safe.
hahaha-indeed. Especially when it makes me call it "Daddy".

Tell us, will you be vaccinated, or it that yet another commie boot on the neck of the free white man?
Honest answer? I don't know yet. I have had plenty of vaccines in my life, but I don't get flu shots. If I started to feel threatened by COVID-19--currently I don't--or it prohibited me from travel, I probably would.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

baffled wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:13 pm My dad either had a minor stroke last night or the second injection royally fucked him up. He ran a fever of 101, with Tylenol.

Couldn't find the word for his arm or hand, got belligerent, couldn't walk on his own and I had to lift him into bed. When I got over there my mom was on the phone with the advice line through their medical insurance and they were at a loss.

He's still sleeping at the moment.

Oddly enough, I'm still glad he got both injections. Assuming he didn't have a stroke, he'll be better off and able to fight infection in a way that his compromised immune system otherwise couldn't.

There's precisely zero chance I'll be getting this shit though. Johnson & Johnson or bust, brah.
Oh no dude! Did you get him to a doctor?