Kavananananaugh: Does he get confirmed?

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Re: Kavananananaugh: Does he get confirmed?

Post by Turdacious »

nafod wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:31 pm The thing about Ford's accusation is it aligns with Kavanaugh's past. It would have never stuck against Gorsuch, but fits very nicely with Bart O'Kavanaugh, member of the 100 keg club, Renate alumnus, participant in the devil's triangle (does *anybody* know the rules of that drinking game?) Called out as a sloppy drunk by his Yale roommates, including his drinking buddy. There's a lot sexual assault here on campus, the huge majority being alcohol related.
Let he who never regularly drank more than the legal limit in college throw the first stone.

And just because there's a relationship between alcohol use and sexual assault doesn't mean alcohol use leads to sexual assault.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

johno wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:37 am
nafod wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:31 pm The thing about Ford's accusation is it aligns with Kavanaugh's past. It would have never stuck against Gorsuch, but fits very nicely with Bart O'Kavanaugh, member of the 100 keg club...
There's a lot sexual assault here on campus, the huge majority being alcohol related.
Heavy drinking as evidence of sexual assault is quite a stretch.

Ford had a thirty year old, vague account with no corroboration from any of the other attendees of the party.

Imagine if a bare accusation alone was enough to ruin any candidate for high public office.
The alcohol isn’t proof, it’s just part of a pattern of conduct. He drank a lot, he disparaged women (Renate alumnus) he’s from the standard demographic that is prone to this stuff.

If this wasn’t about winning and losing, and was about verifying that a guy about to sit on on the scotus for 30 years was a person of character, they could have actually followed through and done real investigation. They didn’t. I’ve seen guys up for a confidential clearance get greater scrutiny based on late info.
Don’t believe everything you think.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

nafod wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:09 am The alcohol isn’t proof, it’s just part of a pattern of conduct... standard demographic that is prone to this stuff.

Such logic & fairness. By that standard, as soon as you read that Trayvon wore a hoodie & drank watermelon iced tea, you knew he had assaulted Zimmerman.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

It's over for you hoes.

Women are now illegal.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

johno wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:51 pm
nafod wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:09 am The alcohol isn’t proof, it’s just part of a pattern of conduct... standard demographic that is prone to this stuff.

Such logic & fairness. By that standard, as soon as you read that Trayvon wore a hoodie & drank watermelon iced tea, you knew he had assaulted Zimmerman.
I’m not saying Kavanaugh fits the profile because he wore button-down shirts with a sweater tied around his neck.

vern

Post by vern »

Last edited by vern on Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Hillary Clinton is firmly rejecting the idea that accusations against her husband are anything like the sexual misconduct allegations against new Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh or President Donald Trump.

The former secretary of state, who is joining with her husband for a joint speaking tour where tickets are going for up to $700 each, referenced independent counsel Kenneth Starr's investigation during the 1990s that led to impeachment.

She called it an 'intense' and 'partisan probe' that distinguished it from allegations against Trump and Kavanaugh, who sat as the newest Supreme Court justice Tuesday after weathering sexual assault allegations from high school and college.

Bill Clinton 'really believes that Democrats have to be tougher and have to stand up to the bullying and the intimidation, so I think he’ll have things to say about his own experience and how it applies here,' Clinton told CNN's Christiane Amanpour.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ation.html

Because sober adults accused of actual rape and longer patterns of sexual misconduct should be held to lower standards than a drunken teenager. Bubba's the real victim here.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Mrs. Clinton has the self awareness of a lamp post.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

I wish they'd take a New York limousine ride

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

I guess she has to live in denial? Rather like Mrs Bart?

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

Be nice to know more about Kavanaugh's record, his real judicial record, and less about this tangential #MeToo business. I suspect that he's not as "right wing" as people suspect.

Could this all of been a ruse to give the Republicans some election year ass coverage on appointing a centrist to the Supreme Court? The Democrats went along because this is an election year so they will get the troops all spun up. Win/win for both sides.
Don't like yourself too much.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

Bill Clinton idolized JFK. Why not imitate his idol? Hillary might have had affairs too. Perhaps to them this fidelity thing is "bourgeois morality"?

They may care as much about infidelity as they care about voter reaction to it. Their pollsters and focus groups tell them that open marriages are not morally acceptable, so they cover it up?

Bill Clinton plead guilty to one count of testifying falsely in 2001. This closed the Ken Starr/Robert Ray thing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/20/opin ... -deal.html

I believe he did it for Hillary's sake. She had just started her career in the Senate. She did not need nonsense while she was earning respect of New York business interests and banks by giving them good service. She worked hard for Wall Street and the Banks, they were generous in 2016.

Bill copped a plea, his supporters paid the fines and he retired until 2008 from politics. Bill helped her to build the foundation of her Presidency. They always called themselves a co-Presidency. Now it was her turn to be President.

Those two are not cynics. They have different values is all.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Gene wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:57 pmCould this all of been a ruse to give the Republicans some election year ass coverage on appointing a centrist to the Supreme Court?
No.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Dems, fly your crazy flag and let your true colors show!!!
I'm sure the US is ready to abandon individualism for identity politics, and due process for "Guilty unless proven innocent."

Let's light this candle!

W.B. Yeats

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

johno wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:08 pm Dems, fly your crazy flag and let your true colors show!!!
I'm sure the US is ready to abandon individualism for identity politics...
I almost spewed at that, with Trump the white man’s president.

I guess it’s the natural counter, identity versus identity.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Novel theory, that Trump initiated identity politics. Let alone that he's playing it at all.

W.B. Yeats

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

johno wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:51 am Novel theory, that Trump initiated identity politics.
I’m definitely not saying that.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

Identity politics is bunk.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Hospitalized With Fractured Ribs After Fall

https://www.thewrap.com/ruth-bader-gins ... fice-fall/

I don't think an elderly woman breaking her ribs is funny, but it does show what a strategic mistake it was for her not to retire during the Obama presidency.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Fat Cat wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:57 pm...but it does show what a strategic mistake it was for her not to retire during the Obama presidency.
Because the process went so smoothly when Obama last nominated a justice, with over a year left in his term?
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

JimZipCode wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:10 am
Fat Cat wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:57 pm...but it does show what a strategic mistake it was for her not to retire during the Obama presidency.
Because the process went so smoothly when Obama last nominated a justice, with over a year left in his term?
Understood, and it was a dirty deal the way they did Garland, no doubt. But she's 85 in 2018, which means she was in the 79-80 range the day Obama was inaugurated to his second term as POTUS. Surely the writing must have been on the wall, why else the media puff pieces about her workouts? I like RBG, it's not a dig to say that the broad doesn't have long. She will probably make it back from this fall, but there's only so much bounce left in the old broad.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Fat Cat wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:24 am it's not a dig to say that the broad doesn't have long. ...there's only so much bounce left in the old broad.
Sure. But – there was plenty of time for her to retire at the end of the 2015-6 term, if she was "strategizing". Then Scalia died unexpectedly in February: and everything went to hell.

I also don't know that the older justices think in terms of that kind of strategy. They're supposed to be "above" that kind of politics; it might be true for some of them.

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud »

JimZipCode wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:44 am
Fat Cat wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:24 am it's not a dig to say that the broad doesn't have long. ...there's only so much bounce left in the old broad.
Sure. But – there was plenty of time for her to retire at the end of the 2015-6 term, if she was "strategizing". Then Scalia died unexpectedly in February: and everything went to hell.

I also don't know that the older justices think in terms of that kind of strategy. They're supposed to be "above" that kind of politics; it might be true for some of them.
Sure, that. But she probably wanted the first woman prez (Hillary) to be the one to replace her.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Thud wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:59 amSure, that. But she probably wanted the first woman prez (Hillary) to be the one to replace her.
Sure, that too. I know I did.

Also she may just love it, and want to keep doing it til she drops dead. Like Brett Favre playing well, well past his peak.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

You voted for Hillary? LOL. Do you carry a purse? Better go check your makeup.