Might be car shopping. Thoughts?

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Re: Might be car shopping. Thoughts?

Post by Kenny X »

Fuck. Yes. Good times. Me, Mrs Kenny X, and Baby X.1 and Baby X.2, on our way to go fly fishing. Alright, alright, alriiiiight.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

I will go with the likely, unpopular move of sign and drive lease. Hyundai and KIA are killing it and as long as you can deal with a 4 banger, you're in good shape, for cheap. Now to be clear, we own our Santa Fe (loaded and the last year of the V6) and will never 'buy' one of their smaller engine Hyundai's but the little Veloster Turbo I lease costs me next to nothing and I have whaled on that thing. Liberal/Lezbo puns aside, we really wanted a Subaru, but they just were not nearly as nice....I mean not even close.

Leasing gets a raw deal....if your credit is good enough, get into something and then 3 years later figure out what you want to do as your financial position matures....JMO.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

We may need to change our tagline to "overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance and culturally lesbian."
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Topic author
Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

The Venerable Bogatir X wrote:I will go with the likely, unpopular move of sign and drive lease. Hyundai and KIA are killing it and as long as you can deal with a 4 banger, you're in good shape, for cheap. Now to be clear, we own our Santa Fe (loaded and the last year of the V6) and will never 'buy' one of their smaller engine Hyundai's but the little Veloster Turbo I lease costs me next to nothing and I have whaled on that thing. Liberal/Lezbo puns aside, we really wanted a Subaru, but they just were not nearly as nice....I mean not even close.

Leasing gets a raw deal....if your credit is good enough, get into something and then 3 years later figure out what you want to do as your financial position matures....JMO.
I've thought of that but don't know the particulars of leasing. Credit is good.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

Dunn wrote: Definitely. The backseat has certainly gotten smaller with the car seat sitting back there.

I have a 15-year-old BMW 3-series, and the back seat is so small that my daughter's car seat only fits in the middle. I think about replacing the car on the grounds that it doesn't have enough room. But then I realize that no one other than my daughter uses the back seat of my car, and she's never with me when I need to carry more stuff than I can fit in the trunk.

People overstate the amount of extra space you need when you have a kid. I can see how multiple kids would require more space, but most people who buy a bigger car after having one kid just wanted an excuse to buy a bigger car.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I have a 16 Suburban, and have driven the equivalent Expedition EL. I have to occasionally tow a horse trailer and takelong distance trips in it.

The Suburban has it on comfort and aesthetics, inside out out, the Expedition has it on power train and better third row seating. I did drive the Suburban through shitty weather and it was a rock solid in ice, snow, and slush with a 4WH...HOWEVER, the build quality is kind of shitty, with the folding seats rubbing on the sides of the cabin leaving permanent marks in the third row.

The Subaru conundrum...every other car in Colorado (or any non GM home state with snow) is a Subaru forester or outback. In Michigan, you saw some domestic 4WD SUV action and trucks.

As far as used Tahoe/Suburban/etc...my brother in law says go 2006 and lower if the reliability is there, 2007-2011 were apparently some shitty years.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

I drive far to much for leases to be worth a shit. I leased a 03 Honda Pilot, which was a solid vehicle, IMO, and almost got raped with the mileage

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

I almost picked up a 77 Blazer this weekend, there's one sitting on M30 in Michigan that looked solid enough so I wouldn't care if I had to rebuild some of the shit in it.

War Rig time.

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

Go with the Subaru. I haven't owned one myself but I have a Toyota Camry now and had a Honda Civic before that. I don't see myself driving anything but Japanese.
Newer Foresters are more SUV than wagon.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

Blaidd Drwg wrote: If only we'd get the damn Accord wagon back over here, preferably minus vtec and with AWD.
Crosstour?
Not sure about the VTEC but AWD and station wagon size. Looks better than a wagon, too.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Pinky wrote:
Dunn wrote: Definitely. The backseat has certainly gotten smaller with the car seat sitting back there.

I have a 15-year-old BMW 3-series, and the back seat is so small that my daughter's car seat only fits in the middle. I think about replacing the car on the grounds that it doesn't have enough room. But then I realize that no one other than my daughter uses the back seat of my car, and she's never with me when I need to carry more stuff than I can fit in the trunk.

People overstate the amount of extra space you need when you have a kid. I can see how multiple kids would require more space, but most people who buy a bigger car after having one kid just wanted an excuse to buy a bigger car.
That changes when she's old enough to get involved in group activities (soccer practice, etc...) and ferrying other kidlets becomes a reality. 10-1 it won't be your decision either.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Turdacious wrote:
Pinky wrote:

That changes when she's old enough to get involved in group activities (soccer practice, etc...) and ferrying other kidlets becomes a reality. 10-1 it won't be your decision either.

No doubt. It's not the kids...it's the friends and dogs and bikes and rackets and skis and all the multitudes of gear.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Topic author
Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Turdacious wrote:
Pinky wrote:

No doubt. It's not the kids...it's the friends and dogs and bikes and rackets and skis and all the multitudes of gear.
Bingo. If it were just the three of us and little to no luggage it wouldn't be an issue. But couple the packing, along with the pups and it turns into a can of sardines. A pickup with a camper shell would alleviate that. While 160k miles isn't that bad, I would feel better if the travel vehicle had less miles. Since I would be covering the bed anyhow, I figure an suv is the smarter choice.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Toyota 4Runner. Any year.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Definitely. The backseat has certainly gotten smaller with the car seat sitting back there.

The weird thing to me is that if you have 3 kids in car seat age, you literally can't obey car seat laws without a 3rd row of seating. That is insane to me.
How much of that actually happens these days? I played team sports as a kid, and I don't remember my folks doing that, despite having wagons and minivans.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

I have a Ford Escape. Good milage for an suv.. 27mpg on my commute, but it's not actually big enough for for anything extra once we had the second kid. Stroller plus groceries in the back and we are full. Day trip stuff we are jam packed. If you might like a 2nd kid, and have outside hobbies you need a much bigger vehicle than you think. 2 car seats and a little kid travel toys/snacks fills that back seat. We plan to move up to an explorer, maybe even an actual full size van.
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Definitely. The backseat has certainly gotten smaller with the car seat sitting back there.

The weird thing to me is that if you have 3 kids in car seat age, you literally can't obey car seat laws without a 3rd row of seating. That is insane to me.
How much of that actually happens these days? I played team sports as a kid, and I don't remember my folks doing that, despite having wagons and minivans.
And you probably walked to practice by yourself too. Allowing a kid to do that now will get Children's Services called.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

The fact that kids now have to be in car seats until they're 15 and a half would make the carpooling I remember as a kid impractical.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Turdacious wrote:
Grandpa's Spells wrote:

And you probably walked to practice by yourself too. Allowing a kid to do that now will get Children's Services called.
A legitimate local political issue is the scheduling of all weather soccer fields. The factions breaking into the kids teams versus adult co-rec teams with losers having to travel up to 30-40 miles across one of the worst traffic corridors in the country for weekly practices. thankfully, my kids can walk or ride to local fields. As soon as the boy got good enough to play on a Select team I put him in BJJ.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

davidc
Sgt. Major

Post by davidc »

Honda CR-V. Loved mine. Had to sell it when we had kid #3 and became a minivan family.
Very reliable, lots of usable space for its size, easy to park because it's not that big. Reeks of Honda quality, even if you get the base model.
Only downside is the mpg could be better. Otherwise it's perfect for a family with 1-2 young kids and the stuff they have to lug around.

j-cubed
Gunny

Post by j-cubed »

I can second the Subaru recommendtions. I have the Impreza sport. The Crosstrek is basically the exact same car, just lifted a few inches. We just got my wife a Forester. We did the debate between the Forester and Outback, but the Forester is less expensive.
Cars that were a little more expensive we considered were the Jeep Cherokee and Ford Edge
Cars that are about the same price we considered were the Ford Escape and Jeep Renegade.

The Renegade is not only a Fiat piece of shit, but has no cargo space and Jeep should be embarrassed asking what they do for those cars.
On paper the Escape is about the same size, but the Forester is roomier in the front.

The thing with the Subaru is that their AWD system is better than those other 4, which are really FWD and electronically engage AWD when necessary), yet the Subie still gets better mileage.

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

Hey Shaf, I drove the new Lincoln Navigator during a sales event. Wait for it and take it out for a spin. Amazing. Also drove the Continental. Also Amazing.

Lease if you can Dunn, honestly about 80% of the people I sell to should.
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Meh. Soccer and LAX are garbage sports, coached by idiots and running injury rates of 2-3x that of peewee football for the equivalent ages.

Lax is like Canadian hockey for Ivy League wannabes who want to pay triple the fees for a kids sport

Topic author
Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

Will definitely check out leasing options. Don't know much about how it works so I gotta do some research.

Will prob check out some rides in the next month.