Mountain Bike Thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Re: Mountain Bike Thread

Post by bennyonesix »

I have always been here before.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

benny is just sad because his gawky, skinny fat physique looks terrible on a bicycle. He looks like a gangly Dutch mongoloid pedaling down the main drag in Vegas. People often think he's homeless or he's an advertisement for Cirque De Freake, depending on if he's showered that week yet.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

This is completely unacceptable behavior steven and mario won't stand for it.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Shapecharge wrote:Wait a sec I didn't even think of this...is Benji69 actually Rant? He's somehow got past Mario's Level 12, Mission Impossible encryption?

It does explain a lot...or could he be a reborn Kaj?
Nah, he's just frustrated. Maybe this idea will get him on track though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginity_auction

It's normally a chick thing, but maybe he could earn a ten spot.
Last edited by Turdacious on Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

bennyonesix wrote:This is completely unacceptable behavior steven and mario won't stand for it.
I'm with you Benny. You're not Dutch
Don’t believe everything you think.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

Actually I am directly descended from Poltroons.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:benny is just sad because his gawky, skinny fat physique looks terrible on a bicycle. He looks like a gangly Dutch mongoloid pedaling down the main drag in Vegas. People often think he's homeless or he's an advertisement for Cirque De Freake, depending on if he's showered that week yet.
Steven, are you an adult fan of bicycles?

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

So I've ridden the mountain bike for about three weeks now and decided to put the clip-in pedals on...and I promptly fell over in less than thirty seconds of riding at the stop light down the street from my house. With a line of cars present to observe this hilarity. I got up and clapped because it was funny and everyone that I could see in the cars we laughing their ass off at me...so I've got that going for me.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Shapecharge wrote:So I've ridden the mountain bike for about three weeks now and decided to put the clip-in pedals on...and I promptly fell over in less than thirty seconds of riding at the stop light down the street from my house. With a line of cars present to observe this hilarity. I got up and clapped because it was funny and everyone that I could see in the cars we laughing their ass off at me...so I've got that going for me.
Do you have a bike trainer or a set of rollers?..it's really easy to learn on on a trainer. It shoudl take about 10 minutes before it's just reflex to kick you heels out rather than up.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Shapecharge wrote:So I've ridden the mountain bike for about three weeks now and decided to put the clip-in pedals on...and I promptly fell over in less than thirty seconds of riding at the stop light down the street from my house. With a line of cars present to observe this hilarity. I got up and clapped because it was funny and everyone that I could see in the cars we laughing their ass off at me...so I've got that going for me.
Do you have a bike trainer or a set of rollers?..it's really easy to learn on on a trainer. It shoudl take about 10 minutes before it's just reflex to kick you heels out rather than up.
Blade I've ridden them before, in the distant past. I was just being an idiot. I'm okay with them now. I was trying to multi-task...hit the crosswalk button on the stop light and take my right foot out and I did neither.

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

I finally have a new bike

2016 RSD Sergeant frame
Fox 34 27.5+ 140mm fork
Shimano Zee brakes
Raceface cranks, BB and chainring
SS with surly cog and spacers
Hadley hubs hand laced to i40 WTB Scrapers with 2.8" Rangers
Paul Components boxcar stem
Spank Oozy bars
Gravity Dropper
Forte Convert flat pedals cuz clipping in is for roadies

This bike fuckin riiiiiips. Climbs really well too. The only thing I need to change is the tires. I loved the compliant ride of my El Mariachi and was concerned that an aluminum frame was going to feel "harsh" as according to the internet. Fuck that, it feels great... maybe the plus tires make up for the aluminum. On top of that, when I'm climbing I can't feel any bottom bracket flex.
RSD Sarge2.jpg
RSD Sarge2.jpg (331.75 KiB) Viewed 10931 times
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

[youtube]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cU6aWjA0AGk[/youtube]

The transitions are so smooth....
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Nice! How long is the stem? How wide is the bar? Internal routing not available on that frame?

I've been thinking about getting a set of WTB tires once the ones I have need replacing. I know Maxxis seems to be the gold standard, with Schwalbe right behind them, but my Specialized tires have been great.
Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:I finally have a new bike

2016 RSD Sergeant frame
Fox 34 27.5+ 140mm fork
Shimano Zee brakes
Spank Oozy bars
Gravity Dropper

This bike fuckin riiiiiips. Climbs really well too. The only thing I need to change is the tires. I loved the compliant ride of my El Mariachi and was concerned that an aluminum frame was going to feel "harsh" as according to the internet. Fuck that, it feels great... maybe the plus tires make up for the aluminum. On top of that, when I'm climbing I can't feel any bottom bracket flex.
RSD Sarge2.jpg

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Mickey O'neil wrote:Nice! How long is the stem? How wide is the bar? Internal routing not available on that frame?

I've been thinking about getting a set of WTB tires once the ones I have need replacing. I know Maxxis seems to be the gold standard, with Schwalbe right behind them, but my Specialized tires have been great.
Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:I finally have a new bike

2016 RSD Sergeant frame
Fox 34 27.5+ 140mm fork
Shimano Zee brakes
Spank Oozy bars
Gravity Dropper

RSD Sarge2.jpg
It's a 70mm stem... Paul makes them down to 50 but this bike is like halfway-modern geo. A little slack (68*) but not super long (604mm ETT) so I needed a little longer stem. Spank Oozy bars are 760 wide and given the size of the jump from the 700 or so Salsas they seem really wide (in a good way). I'd say i won't go any wider but who knows how i'll feel in a year. No internal routing on the 2016 RSD frame... really the only thing it was missing. Not sure about their 2017 models. FYI, this frame was $350 shipped with headset, seat clamp, and maxle. The tubes and stays are beefy as hell. I'm happy. And Alex at RSD was so easy to get a hold of and willing to answer questions.

I have a specialized ground control on the front of the Mariachi, it held up really well. Much longer than the nobby nics that came on the bike. But, I think those were the cheap OEM line of NNs. The higher end ones, now in 2.6 and 2.8, are supposed to be pretty nice.

The WTB Rangers are a little less trailsy and a little more bikepacky than I'd like. I will for sure change the front when it wears out. I know everyone thinks they need minions but I am skeptical, maybe a Rekon or a NN. 2.8 seems to be a good width. This thing PLOWS and is still pedal-able single speed with the Rangers.

Honestly, the biggest differences w/ this bike is the fork, brakes and hubs. The Hadleys scream and I feel like I'm just flying all the time. Definitely set a few dh PRs over the first 3-4 rides.

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

I got the El Mariachi back yesterday...

Apparently some guy's home repair shop received in this bike to sell on consignment and they knew something was off. they called the nearest Salsa dealer... my LBS... and they put me in contact w/ the dude to get the bike back. This was yesterday.

Today, I get a text from some other guy saying that he paid for the bike "to rescue it from skid row" and put it on consignment at the other dude's shop and that I owe him money and need to prove it's mine. Fuck this guy. I'm leavin him on read.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:I got the El Mariachi back yesterday...
There is random justice in the Universe. :drinkers:

You can team with "the guy who rescued it from skid row" and call the police and track down the thief now. I'm sure the guy would be excited to help.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:I got the El Mariachi back yesterday...

Apparently some guy's home repair shop received in this bike to sell on consignment and they knew something was off. they called the nearest Salsa dealer... my LBS... and they put me in contact w/ the dude to get the bike back. This was yesterday.

Today, I get a text from some other guy saying that he paid for the bike "to rescue it from skid row" and put it on consignment at the other dude's shop and that I owe him money and need to prove it's mine. Fuck this guy. I'm leavin him on read.
That's awesome you got your bike back :supz:
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

riotboo

Post by riotboo »

any of you run tubeless?

I finally got a nice bike last fall, and I need to add sealant to the tires.

I've got the sealant, an injector thingy, and a tool to remove the presta core...watched a couple of youtube vids. Seems pretty straight forward. Any gotcha's I might run into?

Thanks.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

riotboo wrote:any of you run tubeless?

I've got the sealant, an injector thingy, and a tool to remove the presta core...watched a couple of youtube vids. Seems pretty straight forward. Any gotcha's I might run into?

Thanks.
On the back. Was tubeless on the front, but it kept going flat. Bike shop setup too.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

I've been tubeless for about 3 or so years. I let the guys at the bike shop handle all of the setup so I can't offer any knowledges. As a matter of fact,
I just dropped my bike off last night to get some sealant added to the rear as well as adding a band or two to the shock and a couple of tokens to the fork. Both Rockshox. It rides like a Caddy but I was bottoming out a couple of times a ride, I like to hit jumps and drops, so they said that adding the bands and tokens would help with the ramp-up from the bottom but still have that plush ride. Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a tangent there.
nafod wrote:
riotboo wrote:any of you run tubeless?

Thanks.
On the back. Was tubeless on the front, but it kept going flat. Bike shop setup too.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Speaking of my new bike. BAM! My new Transition Scout! This thing is freaking awesome! Serious bizness!!!!
Attachments
rsz_img_6471.jpg
rsz_img_6471.jpg (301.67 KiB) Viewed 10372 times
rsz_img_6467.jpg
rsz_img_6467.jpg (269.79 KiB) Viewed 10372 times
rsz_1rsz_1rsz_2img_6461.jpg
rsz_1rsz_1rsz_2img_6461.jpg (413.14 KiB) Viewed 10372 times

riotboo

Post by riotboo »

nice bike!

here is mine[
Attachments
bike
bike
bike.jpg (216.09 KiB) Viewed 10351 times

riotboo

Post by riotboo »

just to clarify I was talking about adding sealant. The tires were set up by the bike shop.

ez peasy lemon squeesy. I was able to do after 3 beers.

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

riotboo wrote:nice bike!

here is mine[
I really really don't wanna tell you this cause its pretty nice looking but... That's a women's bike.
Last edited by Fuzzy Dunlop on Tue May 30, 2017 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Sweet Transition Mic!

125/140 seems like the sweet spot. How's it pedal? I demo'd a Salsa Pony Rustler a few mos ago 150/150 i think... Was a bitch to climb with.