Mountain Bike Thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Re: Mountain Bike Thread

Post by bennyonesix »

Quality of life is so much better now. Jfc.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:
Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:It looks like an eccentric BB. Not my favorite way of doing it, but works well enough if you're good about taking it apart once a year or so and clean/lubing it so it doesn't bind up.
Definitely not an EBB, 73mm threaded. Note the horizontal rear dropout for SS chain tension adjustments. They have actually come up with a nice solution to the rear spacing issues b/w 142 and boost. Dropouts are spaced at 145mm, will squeeze/stretch 1.5mm per side to hit 142 or 148, there is some kind of adapter if you're still looking to run 135qr.
The Pulsar for sure has an EBB.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:
Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:
Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:It looks like an eccentric BB. Not my favorite way of doing it, but works well enough if you're good about taking it apart once a year or so and clean/lubing it so it doesn't bind up.
Definitely not an EBB, 73mm threaded. Note the horizontal rear dropout for SS chain tension adjustments. They have actually come up with a nice solution to the rear spacing issues b/w 142 and boost. Dropouts are spaced at 145mm, will squeeze/stretch 1.5mm per side to hit 142 or 148, there is some kind of adapter if you're still looking to run 135qr.
The Pulsar for sure has an EBB.
Ohhhhh, i thought you were talking about the KM. Thanks for the Pulsar insight
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Fucking Surly is delaying the KM goin on 3 months now. I'm really starting to think about this Pedalhead

or this RSD Sergeant

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Update from Fox re my broken fork... at first, via email, they tried to quote me $175 for a service and $220 for new lowers. I called them up to discuss. After a few minutes of me explaining that I was not abusing the fork and that I couldn't even sell it for what they wanted to charge me to fix it the woman tells me she'll call me back in 20 minutes and wants to discuss internally.

She calls back, says "you had one of the worst forks Fox has ever made we are replacing with a brand new 2017 updated version". AWESOME! I guess I can understand the initial push to charge since they probably get so much stuff returned. Happy they were willing to admit the fault and replace a defective product after very little conversation. It's almost like I got an automated response via email and the issue was never actually looked at. Glad I sent it in, glad I called.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Powerful recommendation for Fox right there. Good to know.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

I love my new Fox Factory 34 fork. Only had one ride on it though and the bike will stay parked until I sell it. It's killing me not to ride.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Fuzzy, I was in a bike shop yesterday...looks like February on the new KM. Based on the mention here and talking elsewhere I think I'm going to get the single speed version and a pair of Shimano xtr pedals and then just start riding.

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

That is what I'm hearing too, original date was mid November... I'm not confident in Feb yet.

I may buy the SS, swap over some parts from my Mariachi and put my B+ wheels on. I still need to get a test ride because the standover is kind of high.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

I found your replacement bike, Fuzzy. As I've stated before, I don't ride hardtails anymore, but if I did, this would be near the the top of my list.

http://m.pinkbike.com/news/ragley-big-w ... -2017.html

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Mickey O'neil wrote:I found your replacement bike, Fuzzy. As I've stated before, I don't ride hardtails anymore, but if I did, this would be near the the top of my list.

http://m.pinkbike.com/news/ragley-big-w ... -2017.html
I hadn't even considered Ragley... that's not single-speedable though which puts it in the probably not category for me; plus it's expensive.

I have a nice set of boost-hub 27.5+ wheels that were waiting to go on the new Surly Karate Monkey but as I said earlier Surly is dragging their goddamn feet; my LBS is a destination Surly shop and is getting 3 demos/rentals so I'll be able to ride it but not sure how long it will take to get a frame and stuff afterwards... that's why i've started lookin elsewhere.

Pedalhead, Sergeant, Timberjack, Production Privee Shan GT, Advocate Hayduke, Kona Honzo (EDIT). I'm kinda pissed at Salsa for selling out and ditching their steel bikes but I rode that Timberjack and it was fun.

I'd need to have my wheelbuilder re-dish the wheels for the Pedalhead and the frame's expensive but I think they're pretty fuckin rad and made in USA. (not single speedable either though).

My FOX replacement came today as promised. It is brand new, in box. Looks very nice. Good on FOX!

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

I like that Honzo a lot.

I'm a big fan of Fox. Riding gear and shocks/forks.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Assembled a 26" brand new mongoose bmx today with my cousin. It took 3 hours because of our total confusion on every part of the process. 190$ off craigslist, excited to try it out on my commute to work.

Last edited by Bram on Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Went riding yesterday in 30 degree weather, cold enough to freeze up the mud. The only person out on a 7 mile ride. Sweet!
Don’t believe everything you think.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Fuzzy I was in a shop yesterday trying to buy a Timberjack and they appear to not be available either.

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Shapecharge wrote:Fuzzy I was in a shop yesterday trying to buy a Timberjack and they appear to not be available either.
really, why? I have ridden one and I'm pretty sure the shop wouldn't be demoing something they couldn't sell.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

I guess some shops had some demos but they're just not making that many. Maybe end of January/February. Too bad because I would have bought one.

I'm getting pretty intrigued with the Gates Belt Drive. But, that starts moving out of what I wanted to spend. Take a look at the Spot Rocker SS 29'er.

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Shapecharge wrote:I guess some shops had some demos but they're just not making that many. Maybe end of January/February. Too bad because I would have bought one.

I'm getting pretty intrigued with the Gates Belt Drive. But, that starts moving out of what I wanted to spend. Take a look at the Spot Rocker SS 29'er.
I forgot about Spot, siiick bikes. 1200 for a non-custom frame is pushing it for me. Already into a set of wheels for a G. Can't go putting a shitty fork or groupset on a frame like that either, 1000 fork, already at 3200, ouch! Prob lookin at 4k min, all in. Maybe i build up a cheap aluminum and then move stuff over to a sweet frame in a year or 2. i dunno...

Wonder about that Timberjack... That was becoming my backup plan if the KM wouldn't work. Now i may need to take a closer look at the RSD Sergeant. I figured the Timberjack was the REI bike and that they'd be readily available to anyone.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Bram wrote:Assembled a 26" brand new mongoose bmx today with my cousin. It took 3 hours because of our total confusion on every part of the process. 190$ off craigslist, excited to try it out on my commute to work.

That will be a fuckton of fun. Congrats.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Bram wrote:Assembled a 26" brand new mongoose bmx today with my cousin. It took 3 hours because of our total confusion on every part of the process. 190$ off craigslist, excited to try it out on my commute to work.

That will be a fuckton of fun. Congrats.
Yes it will.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:
Shapecharge wrote:I guess some shops had some demos but they're just not making that many. Maybe end of January/February. Too bad because I would have bought one.

I forgot about Spot, siiick bikes. 1200 for a non-custom frame is pushing it for me. Already into a set of wheels for a G. Can't go putting a shitty fork or groupset on a frame like that either, 1000 fork, already at 3200, ouch! Prob lookin at 4k min, all in. Maybe i build up a cheap aluminum and then move stuff over to a sweet frame in a year or 2. i dunno...

Wonder about that Timberjack... That was becoming my backup plan if the KM wouldn't work. Now i may need to take a closer look at the RSD Sergeant. I figured the Timberjack was the REI bike and that they'd be readily available to anyone.
Well fuck I went ahead and ordered the Spot. They gave me a little break for liking them on the Facebooks. No dealer anywhere so it's just gonna come to the house. I had them set it up tubeless. I ordered a set of XTR pedals off of Amazon so let's see how long it takes me to break a collarbone.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

Shape, did you get a belt drive SS?
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

AEN, yes. That's why I went with the Spot. I really wanted to give that Gates Drive a go.

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

That's fuckin sweet! Post up some pics and let us know how the belt drive ss is :supz:

I ended up getting a really good deal on a 2016 RSD Sergeant frame. Great customer service from Alex at Rubber Side Down in Toronto, went back and forth over email a few times.

Here's a pic of the complete. Not sure what i'm doing about cranks or fork yet but I have custom 27.5+ wheels and Zee brakes. Stressful picking parts and trying to keep to some sort of budget. The only thing it doesn't have is internal dropper routing. I may go with another gravity dropper and just take the boot off. The boot is fugly. Or, I may drill a routing slot in the seat tube and buy a 9.8.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Sad face. Got the bike yesterday and put it together when I got home from work. Get it all ready to go and I'm adjusting the seat 'cause even thought it's about 27 degrees out I'm taking this thing for a ride. Look down and notice there's two chunks gouged in the frame all the way to bare metal, one of them about dime sized and oxidized...how in the fuck did I spend the time putting this thing together and never noticed it. No fucking way. I sent them an email about 7:30 last night and they responded promptly...apologized, credited me shipping charges and sent me a return label and asked me to send it back. So I'll get another one. Dang I was hoping to sail off some shit today.