Thoughts on Handguns?

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Sua Sponte
Gunny

Re: Thoughts on Handguns?

Post by Sua Sponte »

Testiclaw wrote:

What's the consensus on the best, "all around" semi for someone who isn't big on gun knowledges?
May not be a consensus choice but the H&K VP9 is the best semi-auto extant. Not cheap.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Which ones work in salt water against sharks? I'm heading to the Outer Banks in a few weeks.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

I don't think I mentioned it in this thread but if I have well, I'm losin' it then.

If I were a gangster doing gangster shit up to and included having to get in a gunfight but concealed carry was necessary, I would most seriously consider carrying the FN 5.7. I shot this most awesome pistol a few years back. With a 20 round magazine even if you're a shitty shot you can walk the rounds into where ever. It's a polymer frame gun and not as heavy as you'd think. If you've got small hands, which is cool when taking dick pics because it makes it look bigger, then not so cool with this weapon. And that 5.7 round was designed for no other reason than penetration, like my cock, and killin'. It's a pricy weapon and ammo isn't cheap and it's not necessarily a very pretty gun if that matters but it is seriously fucking capable.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Shapecharge wrote:I don't think I mentioned it in this thread but if I have well, I'm losin' it then.

If I were a gangster doing gangster shit up to and included having to get in a gunfight but concealed carry was necessary, I would most seriously consider carrying the FN 5.7. I shot this most awesome pistol a few years back. With a 20 round magazine even if you're a shitty shot you can walk the rounds into where ever. It's a polymer frame gun and not as heavy as you'd think. If you've got small hands, which is cool when taking dick pics because it makes it look bigger, then not so cool with this weapon. And that 5.7 round was designed for no other reason than penetration, like my cock, and killin'. It's a pricy weapon and ammo isn't cheap and it's not necessarily a very pretty gun if that matters but it is seriously fucking capable.

Did you see all them yew toobz vid on penetration capabilities of the 5.7 ?

I'm out of my depth with the practical implications but I found it fascinating.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WrokNC3Clc[/youtube]
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Blade I had heard about it and done a little reading. It's fucking no joke. As a concealed carry protection only weapon, man I don't know since it is a sizable weapon but you know some weirdos would love to carry that Desert Eagle so YMMV. I'll say this though, I'm a decent shot with a pistol and I fired a clip from about 80 yards at a contractor-sized paint can using just the modified weaver 2-hand stance and it took me about 5 rounds to get ranged in then I lit that thing up...a fucking pistol no less. FWIW that muslim major fucktard used the 5.7 when he shot up Fort Hood.

Sua Sponte
Gunny

Post by Sua Sponte »

.22 TCM might be the better choice if looking for hypervelocity .22's. Platform that shoots it is way cheaper, the ammunition is cheaper and, while still not easily available, it's still more available than 5.7x28. FN has themselves limited access to the 5.7x28 rounds and there have been about 3 attempts in recent years to outlaw it entirely as it's military incarnation was aimed primarily at penetrating armor.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Stop your big brain practicals in discussions of such seriousness.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Shapecharge wrote:Stop your big brain practicals in discussions of such seriousness.

There's a secondary yew tubes comparing those two...

what I can say. i have a lot of long conference calls.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Sua Sponte
Gunny

Post by Sua Sponte »

I seek only the round that makes the watermelons blow up the most. There is no higher calling.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Sua Sponte wrote:I seek only the round that makes the watermelons blow up the most. There is no higher calling.
When I used to go out shooting gophers in cattle fields with my friends, we used .22LR CCI Stingers. At least back then they were billed as the fastest muzzle velocity in a production .22LR. There was never much left of the gopher after a round through the torso.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

According to the Internet, someone shot with the FN 5.7 will either not notice that they were hit or suffer such severe internal damage that their corpse will look like a half-empty trash bag with a human face.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Sua Sponte
Gunny

Post by Sua Sponte »

To many, the gopher is nature's watermelon.
Last edited by Sua Sponte on Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

We shot prairie dogs, cinderblocks and Coyotes (kai-yotes). Seemed like there were cinderblocks to hand at all times.

Sua Sponte
Gunny

Post by Sua Sponte »

Old gun technology, old cartridge technology, old bullet technology. Revolver shooting a .45LC with a flat nosed soft point equals a 150lb TX boar at ~30m.
Attachments
20150701_102020_v3.png
20150701_102020_v3.png (185.12 KiB) Viewed 6493 times

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Sua Sponte wrote:To many, the gopher is nature's watermelon.
:-k Much truthiness there.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Topic author
Boris

Post by Boris »

How often (if ever) do you do a deep cleaning of your handgun? Not just taking off the slide and cleaning the barrel, etc, but stripping the whole gun down and cleaning?

I really don't want to and wondering if it's really necessary and if so, I'll probably just pay a gunsmith to do it...

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Boris wrote:How often (if ever) do you do a deep cleaning of your handgun? Not just taking off the slide and cleaning the barrel, etc, but stripping the whole gun down and cleaning?

I really don't want to and wondering if it's really necessary and if so, I'll probably just pay a gunsmith to do it...
Somewhat "make and model" dependent, but in reality it has more to do with how anal retentive you want to be about your guns. I like Glocks because they will run forever in spite of being dry and dirty. Granted, I give it a brush down, CLP, and oiling just about everytime I get back from the range...but...that's just me being anal retentive and taking care of my investment. I could probably leave it outside in the rain for a week and it would still fire. So, I like them because the reliability is there without me having to baby it...and then I baby it, anyway. I find cleaning them very relaxing as it gives me something to do with my hands that doesn't involve a video game controller or Alexis Texas on the computer monitor.

Topic author
Boris

Post by Boris »

Do you ever disassemble the slide and frame to clean it?

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Boris wrote:Do you ever disassemble the slide and frame to clean it?

I always disassemble to its four basic parts...slide, barrel, recoil spring, and frame. The only thing I do with the frame is brush off excess carbon buildup and put a tiny drop of oil where it is needed. No CLP or oil goes anywhere near the frame, except for that one tiny drop where it is required. To me, a "deep cleaning" would entail breaking the frame down further, but that's just not necessary unless there's an unusual amount of carbon buildup down there. In reality, you can get most of it out of the frame with picks and q-tips. High quality modern semi-autos you can get away with just running a barrel snake down the barrel after a light day at the range, and it's gonna run the next time you take it out. Anal retentive people like me who enjoy working with the gun, I do a break down every time I get back from the range. In reality, it's probably just fine to put 500 rounds through it between proper cleanings. Maybe more. I think opinions will vary greatly on this. Glocks in particular have been put through some unbelievable torture tests and they just keep running...I treat mine like queens, but in reality they are dirty, dirty whores.

Topic author
Boris

Post by Boris »

I clean the gun after every visit to the range. I was just wondering about doing this and how often the average joe does it:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VTIqAMPOco[/youtube]

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

I haven't done that, and I'm not planning on doing it anytime soon. If I had concerns about it getting gunked up, I'd find myself a Glock armorer (and I know a couple). I will probably take that course at some point.

BTW, Hickok45 is a great guy. Really love his channel.

j-cubed
Gunny

Post by j-cubed »

Anyone by chance try the new Sig 320?
When the Sig 250 came out, I thought the concept was cool, change grips and slides to go from sub compact to compact to full size handgun. It is DAO and reviews said the trigger was smooth, but a very long pull.

Now they have a Sig 320, their first striker fired handgun. Same concept, with modularity. Some online reviews were pretty positive, especially about the trigger. Anyone here try one by chance?

Topic author
Boris

Post by Boris »

The modular system is cool. No doubt.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpw4oRaIjJU[/youtube]

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Is that guy a particularly gifted shooter? Hitting the gong at that range, even occasionally, with a subcompact he's shooting for the first or second time seems surprising.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

It's the inter webs, where nothing is real. This could be Take #99.

That said, my guess is that he's a practiced shooter. He always takes on the close gongs first, and probably notices where he's hitting. From there he can adjust fire & attack the distant ones.

JMO. Nothing that I can do.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats