Limey TV Thread update....

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Limey TV Thread update....

Post by buckethead »

Turdacious wrote:Broadchurch is excellent-- well written and a great cast. Don't check out the wiki page if you're considering watching because spoilers.

Just finished watching the US version (Gracepointe). Finished this last Thursday. I thought it was well done but I found the final "twist" anti-climactic.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

buckethead wrote:
Turdacious wrote:Broadchurch is excellent-- well written and a great cast. Don't check out the wiki page if you're considering watching because spoilers.

Just finished watching the US version (Gracepointe). Finished this last Thursday. I thought it was well done but I found the final "twist" anti-climactic.
The limey version, from what I've heard, is different. I can't imagine that Gracepointe is any better relative to the original than the US version of Life on Mars. Olivia Colman is insanely good once you get past the first couple episodes. Might be worth a watch.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Is anyone doing Black Mirror????

Jesus that's a fuct up show. Great but tuuuurrrible
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:Is anyone doing Black Mirror????

Jesus that's a fuct up show. Great but tuuuurrrible
I watched the first season. It was kinda 'meh'.

Now I'm watching Utopia, The Fall, The Missing and Dates. Great shows!
You ever seen a cycling plumber who wrestles with small calves, forearms and neck? Didn't think so.

dingleberry
Manpussy Apprentice

Post by dingleberry »

Halfway through the Netflix series "Peaky Blinders."

Birmingham gangsters, Gypsies, IRA, communists and crusading coppers make for an entertaining show.

Set in the steel town after WWI.
nafod wrote:I do find I am spending more and more time in the bathroom in the morning, just staring at myself and wondering if I am pretty.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

The Game, on BBC America.

Like it.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

lasalle

Post by lasalle »

Just watched the first two episodes last night. Holy shit-it's great. Thanks for the recommendation.

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

The Thick of It is the best thing to happen to the english language since Shakespeare.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NwvjPlcC3w[/youtube]
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Capaldi is fucking great. Have you seen In The Loop?
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

lenny
Staff Sergeant

Post by lenny »

The Honourable Woman is horrible. Since it's my opinion some of you might be inclined to watch.
Caveat Emptor. It's your time. It was a waste of mine. There probably are better soap operas out there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Honourable_Woman

Maggie Gyllenhaal, the female lead, plays a wealthy British Jewess who inherited
a fortune from her father's weapons corporation that sold armaments to Israelis to kill Arabs.
To right this atrocity she tries to bring peace to the Israelis and Palestinians by funding a college for high tech and installing fibre optic cables in Palestine of all places. Her acting is terrible and the story is pretty much downhill from there. Anyone with the זכות (literally merit) to live in the Holy Land and not utterly delusional knows this is a deranged fantasy that the BBC still dreaming of peace could cook up but has zero basis in reality. John Lennon's Imagine should have been the theme song. There have been 89 wars fought over Jerusalem the last three thousand years and there were probably a thousand years when it was desolate.
On average there's war every twenty or so years.
Reviewers from the British left wing rag The Guardian loved it as did the New York Times, LA Times, and the
Washington Post which should tell you all you need to know.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Lenny pulls no punches in his reviews. My vote for "Best New, Possibly Homo, But There's Nothing Wrong With That, IGx Member of the Year."

I half-assed watched a Brit spy movie from 2012 with Sean Bean called "Cleanskin." I was fucking around playing that WordsWithFriends shit and wasn't paying attention. I recorded it so I could watch it again. Have you seen it? If so what's your thoughts? Please keep your comments to 15 paragraphs or less.

Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

Shapecharge wrote:Lenny pulls no punches in his reviews. My vote for "Best New, Possibly Homo, But There's Nothing Wrong With That, IGx Member of the Year."

I half-assed watched a Brit spy movie from 2012 with Sean Bean called "Cleanskin." I was fucking around playing that WordsWithFriends shit and wasn't paying attention. I recorded it so I could watch it again. Have you seen it? If so what's your thoughts? Please keep your comments to 15 paragraphs or less.
Anyone that correctly identifies the NY and LA Times as left leaning rags is no homo. :supz:
"Tell A.P. Hill he must come up."

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Bob, I really don't think you're implying there's no such thing as a conservative homo, are you?

Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

Shapecharge wrote:Bob, I really don't think you're implying there's no such thing as a conservative homo, are you?
No, but I do believe it lowers the odds. [-X

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Bob Wildes wrote:
Shapecharge wrote:Bob, I really don't think you're implying there's no such thing as a conservative homo, are you?
No, but I do believe it lowers the odds. [-X
Good call...or, if one is they're not all flamboyant about it like Proto.

lenny
Staff Sergeant

Post by lenny »

I thought one of you would tell me to fuck off. Now I'm a homo. They were called fags in the good old days. I'm laughing or as it's called LOL or LMAO. I'm too old for these abbreviations although I think future generations will speak in acronyms and words won't exist. FWIW I've been married 28 years and faithful to my long suffering wife who is a woman from birth and a wonderful person with the misfortune to have enormous patience and probably the only female on this planet who could put up with me. We have two kids in university, no pets and had three cars until my daughter totaled hers a couple months ago. She's OK
ברוך השם (Blessed be the Name {of the Holy One}) or in Yiddish גאָט צו דאַנקען. No one is asking you to read this and you guys haven't kicked me out yet so I can say what I want in any language even if it violates whatever passes as acceptable taste around here.

My one almost gay experience was in 1969 in Paris at the Cathedrale de Notre Dame. Minding my own business and looking up at whatever there was to look at in said esteemed cathedral (I don't have a good visual memory) some sleazy guy started talking to me. In those years I was pretty open to the point of giving rides to anybody hitchhiking if I thought they wouldn't murder me. There were a few who looked like killers after they got in the car who told me how they landed in jail. I asked myself why that hadn't happened to me. Probably because I didn't want trouble with the law outside of protesting and taking drugs but that's another story. To get to the point and make a short story even shorter Mr. Sleazy Frog intimated that he wanted some kind of disgusting encounter with me and I almost vomited on him and walked out leaving him to find more suitable prey. Remember AIDS didn't exist in those days. If you got VD you got a shot of penicillin and were back in action. My first sexual encounter was with a very pretty girl who picked me up hitchhiking who I wanted to rape for picking me up hitchhiking. She offered to drive me home (during a vicious Wisconsin winter) if she could use my bathroom. I found out where she worked, worked up the courage to ask her out, and my introduction to sex was her saying, "I had gonorrhea and am not sure I'm over it but had a shot and it's probably OK." I'm allergic to penicillin and wondered if there was another drug or would I die. It wasn't the best sex I ever had.

It's been many years since I've owned a TV and occasionally download programs. Israel has too many problems to go after illegal downloaders. I haven't seen Cleanskin which sounds like an ad from Putney Swope a movie with every stereotype of black people in the 1960's and too racist for today's educated politically correct consumer.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh0O-rzP1XQ[/youtube]

I slept all of three hours last night and am probably hallucinating this post. It did embed when I previewed it but for some reason got bounced out and if it doesn't here's the link for those of you willing to live dangerously and click on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh0O-rzP1XQ

In the spirit of the movie High Fidelity
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Fidelity_%28film%29

my top five favorite TV programs in no particular order are The Wire, Playmakers by ESPN that the NFL wanted banned every week during its only season, Gunsmoke, Maverick and the Wonderful World of Disney. The last time I saw the latter three was in about 1959 and don't know how well they've held up but maybe some of you can enlighten me.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

First of all let me say that you are a total trip Lenny and don't you ever think about changin'.

I was kidding about being a homo and I appreciate your stream of consciousness coming of age story.

We don't ever ban people here so you just keep letting your freak flag fly brother...well one guy did get banned but that was only because he was fucking with people in real life so we had to do something.

You need to spread your wings and come over to the free speech side of the house and weigh in on anything and everything. You sir are cracking me up so keep it up.

Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

Shapecharge wrote:First of all let me say that you are a total trip Lenny and don't you ever think about changin'.

I was kidding about being a homo and I appreciate your stream of consciousness coming of age story.

We don't ever ban people here so you just keep letting your freak flag fly brother...well one guy did get banned but that was only because he was fucking with people in real life so we had to do something.

You need to spread your wings and come over to the free speech side of the house and weigh in on anything and everything. You sir are cracking me up so keep it up.
Who got banned? I'm guessing Rant.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Yes Bob it was Rant.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

lenny wrote: My one almost gay experience was in 1969 in Paris at the Cathedrale de Notre Dame. Minding my own business and looking up at whatever there was to look at in said esteemed cathedral (I don't have a good visual memory) some sleazy guy started talking to me. In those years I was pretty open to the point of giving rides to anybody hitchhiking if I thought they wouldn't murder me. There were a few who looked like killers after they got in the car who told me how they landed in jail. I asked myself why that hadn't happened to me. Probably because I didn't want trouble with the law outside of protesting and taking drugs but that's another story. To get to the point and make a short story even shorter Mr. Sleazy Frog intimated that he wanted some kind of disgusting encounter with me and I almost vomited on him and walked out leaving him to find more suitable prey. Remember AIDS didn't exist in those days. If you got VD you got a shot of penicillin and were back in action.
Was it a guy claiming to be a Rolling Stone reporter who wanted you to rub Vaseline on his nutsack?

lenny
Staff Sergeant

Post by lenny »

[quote]Was it a guy claiming to be a Rolling Stone reporter who wanted you to rub Vaseline on his nutsack?/quote]

Rolling Stone magazine wasn't even two years old then and probably didn't send reporters to Paris. The first time I saw a copy was at a rock festival in Bath, England in the summer of 1969. Led Zeppelin played. They had one record at the time that I had heard a lot of but their live performance grossed me out with their antics. Jimmy Page pretended to masturbate on the guitar. I heard so many rock concerts in England that summer I couldn't remember much about that one. Roy Harper played and said he'd never do another festival. According to the website Fleetwood Mac played. I heard them at the Albert Hall that summer. They were great.
http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/the-69-b ... tival.html

As far as Mr.Disgusto in the Cathedrale de Notre Dame I haven't thought about this episode since probably 1969 and just started to remember and still feel like vomiting. It was a creepy French guy with a mustache probably in his late thirties. I was all of 19 and talked to almost anybody then. We had about a three second conversation. I don't know if he wanted it on the floor or the benches in full view of the pilgrims and tourists or in a back alley. He probably got killed one day when someone took him up on his offer.

As for Shelley who picked me up hitchhiking our relationship didn't last long. The next guy she got involved with was black and owned an African and soul food restaurant that advertised a special Ndugu sauce on State St. in Madison Wisconsin. I never met him but he seemed like a decent enough guy and not like the brothers from the ghetto who came to fuck (fuck over really) white college girls for all the real and imagined evils they believed the white race had perpetrated on them. I don't know why any girl would talk to them let alone sleep with one. It was asking for trouble. but maybe it was due to a misplaced sense of guilt, a belief the brothers were fantastic lovers with all that natural rhythm blacks supposedly had or some perverted rebellion against their parents and society.
Ndugu knocked Shelley up and left her. I couldn't believe it - the classic stereotype of what black guys did to white girls. I wonder what happened to her. She had beautiful blue eyes and smoked a lot of cigarettes. I hope she stopped before she got cancer. Shelley's parents were very straight and disgusted with the idea that she had been with a black guy and were about to have a mixed race grand daughter. I think she raised that kid alone with no help from her parents but maybe they came around eventually.

I look back on what a lot of us did in those years in the name of rebellion and freedom with utter disbelief. We were insane. Later one of my teachers said, "Society turns an 18 year old kid out of the house who rebels against everything and thinks he can change the world." Previous generations and so called primitive cultures where the elders are given a lot more respect and control would never allow that. I'm not romanticizing those cultures nor would I want to be in one but they were on to something very important about limits to freedom. For most of us there was no one with any wisdom to tell us that being so 'free' was liable to leave some bad burns and scars for a lifetime. Not that most of us including myself would have listened to anybody no matter how much life experience and wisdom they had.

There are women now in their late sixties who were very pretty when they were young and had a lot of guys (I know two who fucked 35 - are there even 35 good men on earth? - well maybe on IGX) and went from one relationship to another, sometimes on a whim. They've aged badly and have been alone for years and never had the children they wanted. I can not imagine what that means for a woman who badly wanted a child. From what women have told me it's not the same as for guys.
I started skateboarding in my late 20's and learned some valuable lessons. If I tried something two steps beyond my capability I fell. Falling at that age on asphalt while learning isn't like falling as a ten year old. I almost broke my hand and the pain lasted six weeks. Now pain from the same kind of fall could last for months or longer. I realized that life was also like that but the feedback might not be so instantaneous. Now I know it can take decades to get the feedback and the damage could be permanent.
Dan John says he knows he has one more bad injury but maybe not another recovery. It can be like that in families between parents and children and between spouses. I was at a spiritual retreat when somebody said, "If you can make peace with your parents do it before it's too late. I finally realized that and my father died a year ago." Another of my teachers said there should be one day a year when parents and children forgive each other and a day for husband and wife." It's in the Jewish tradition before Yom Kippur. My sense is that even people who do forgive and ask forgiveness aren't doing it on a very deep level. My father said, "We get old too soon and shmart too late." I never thought I'd live past 35 which seemed ancient at the time and here I am at 65. I know what I did every year but it sure went fast.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

So what's your story Lenny? You're American and Jewish? How much time have you spent in Europe or outside of the states? Any military service? Do you like to drill chicks in the keister?

lenny
Staff Sergeant

Post by lenny »

I actually wrote three books with my story and haven't published them yet. Maybe one of you could tell me what the next step is. The letter to agents was harder to write than all three books combined but I think it's pretty good. I have spent probably close to two thirds of my adult life outside of the USA mainly
in ארץ הקודש the Holy Land and have been to Europe a number of times. The American army didn't want me. I had a lot of medical problems when I was young and was too old for the Israeli army when I was legally eligible for the draft.
My father was in Patton's army in World War II and got a medal for being in the five major battles of Europe.
My daughter had cancer and major surgery and the Israeli army gave her the option of joining. She originally wanted to but couldn't stand all the bureaucracy and chose National Service instead and volunteered in a preschool for a year. The Israeli army offered to send my son to engineering school for four years and then to the army for six years as an engineer (the last three with fairly good pay). This was six months before his draft date. My wife talked him into going and said if he didn't like it he could drop out and join the army. I don't think he likes it (it's the Israeli version of MIT with enormous pressure and his grades have to be higher than the students who aren't being funded by the army). He's in his second year and has done well. He wanted to be in an elite combat unit and thinks he can still get in when he graduates. One of my grandfathers avoided serving in the Russian army over a hundred years ago and was too old for World War I. The other one was probably too young for World War I and too old for World War II. Military service skips a generation in my family. As for your last question there was only one who I also did it with in a bathtub. That was fun. I don't know why I never did it again. Life isn't over yet.

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

I'm getting a faint taste of doughboy

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

Shapecharge wrote:Yes Bob it was Rant.
Lenny is Rant's latest sock-puppet.

Either that, or he is that guy from AZ who writes these loooooooong brick posts over Dan John's forum. But I'm pretty sure this is Rant on his mood-swing meds, tripping high.
You ever seen a cycling plumber who wrestles with small calves, forearms and neck? Didn't think so.