Wonder Woman

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Wonder Woman

Post by Shapecharge »

Benji, I'm confused. Do you want me to make this video or not? I bought all this stuff and now you're engaged in some kind of ADHD internet stalking on Sineaid. Can you focus for just a few seconds and put down your fidgit spinner and give me a little direction on what you want in this video? I feel a little guilty taking the money you sent me.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Did Wonder Woman have any tats?
Don’t believe everything you think.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

nafod wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:41 pm Did Wonder Woman have any tats?
Hey, don't make this thread weird.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

Shapecharge wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:38 pm Benji, I'm confused. Do you want me to make this video or not? I bought all this stuff and now you're engaged in some kind of ADHD internet stalking on Sineaid. Can you focus for just a few seconds and put down your fidgit spinner and give me a little direction on what you want in this video? I feel a little guilty taking the money you sent me.
Gramps listen. I do not want any video from you. You are groace. Stop bothering me.

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

bennyonesix wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:37 pm
Shapecharge wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:38 pm Benji, I'm confused. Do you want me to make this video or not? I bought all this stuff and now you're engaged in some kind of ADHD internet stalking on Sineaid. Can you focus for just a few seconds and put down your fidgit spinner and give me a little direction on what you want in this video? I feel a little guilty taking the money you sent me.
Gramps listen. I do not want any video from you. You are groace. Stop bothering me.
Shape, I'll take an animated gif since you went to the trouble

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

Never sent you a dime old man.

And no, I do not want you to dress up as Diver Down era David Lee Roth in the chaps and sing Hang'em High as you ride your Sybian with the Black Stallion attachment.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

bennyonesix wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:29 pm

And no, I do not want you to dress up as Diver Down era David Lee Roth in the chaps and sing Hang'em High as you ride your Sybian with the Black Stallion attachment.
To an outsider it looks like maybe you've been thinking about this a bit. Could be getting a tiny bit outside of Shape's generous strike zone.

That doesn't make you a bad person.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

DrDonkeyLove wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:52 am
bennyonesix wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:29 pm

To an outsider it looks like maybe you've been thinking about this a bit. Could be getting a tiny bit outside of Shape's generous strike zone.

That doesn't make you a bad person.
That would have been Shape's review of Breaking Bad if he'd really enjoyed it.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Just saw it.

Now I know how WW1 ended!

If there were such a thing as a Mediterranean goddess, Ms. Gadot would qualify.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Boris

Post by Boris »

baffled wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:32 amBarely okay.
Totally agree. There are few comic book adapted movies that I like and this is NOT one of them.

Gal Gadot is gorgeous of course and it had promise but the whole Aries thing ruined it.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

I didn't see this and probably won't.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Gadot, Pine, their chemistry, and the whole steampunk WWI thing were great. Other than that this movie was a steaming pile of shit. I didn't give a shit about any of the bad guys and the swerve in the third act was weak. That's a bigger problem down the road- WW has the worst organic stable of villains of any major comic book character. The only good enemies WW has are straight out of Roman mythology-- and this story killed them all off. And 100 years will have passed since the first WW and the next iteration- so the whole girlish 'I don't understand man's world so I can criticize it as an outsider' aspect (i.e. half the charm of Gadot's character) is gone for part II. It's like Vince Russo was one of the writers.

Topic author
JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Turdacious wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:14 amWW has the worst organic stable of villains of any major comic book character.
True, but probably not relevant. The Capt America movies have shown that they can abandon the "traditional" rogues gallery, and still make a solid story.

Turdacious wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:14 am100 years will have passed since the first WW and the next iteration- so the whole girlish 'I don't understand man's world so I can criticize it as an outsider' aspect (i.e. half the charm of Gadot's character) is gone for part II.
Again true, and again probly not relevant. WW was so far and away the best part of the Batman v Superman movie, that It puts most of those worries to rest. Her chemistry with Batfleck was good*, and her schtick as an ageless femme fatale who knows a whole lot more than you think she does, works. Also her zesty affect in fight scenes. She was pretty much the only character one liked in that movie; could still be true in Justice League.

Wonder Woman is the LEAST of the things the DC movieverse has to worry about.

Gadot displaying her skills as chemist:

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

JimZipCode wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:28 pm
Turdacious wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:14 amWW has the worst organic stable of villains of any major comic book character.
True, but probably not relevant. The Capt America movies have shown that they can abandon the "traditional" rogues gallery, and still make a solid story.

Turdacious wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:14 am100 years will have passed since the first WW and the next iteration- so the whole girlish 'I don't understand man's world so I can criticize it as an outsider' aspect (i.e. half the charm of Gadot's character) is gone for part II.
Again true, and again probly not relevant. WW was so far and away the best part of the Batman v Superman movie, that It puts most of those worries to rest. Her chemistry with Batfleck was good*, and her schtick as an ageless femme fatale who knows a whole lot more than you think she does, works. Also her zesty affect in fight scenes. She was pretty much the only character one liked in that movie; could still be true in Justice League.

Gadot displaying her skills as chemist:

I do not require fealty to the DC universe nor do I really know her story beyond the basics. She's hot as fuck, the WW movie was tolerable, and my wife didn't hate it. A good compromise movie selection IME.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Man, that fuckin' John Hamm is a good lookin' dude.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

JimZipCode wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:28 pm

Whatcho talking about Willis? The Cap movies expressly built on his rogues gallery (which is also pretty weak), kept his old school supporting cast (Falcon), and built a three movie story arc around the best story in the Cap library.

Every good Wonder Woman story either involves another major DC hero or brings in Greek and Roman mythology. Ares, Circe, Hades, and Medusa are badass villains-- killing one off and explaining the others away was Quest for Peace stupid. Rocky V stupid. Straight to DVD Steven Seagal movie stupid.

If they're smart, they'll do a version of The Hiketeia next.

Topic author
JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Turdacious wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:29 pm The Cap movies expressly built on his rogues gallery (which is also pretty weak), kept his old school supporting cast (Falcon), and built a three movie story arc around the best story in the Cap library.
Ugh, I'm old. The Winter Soldier feels so new to me, I don't even think of him as part of the rogues gallery. I guess you're right, if you look at Hydra (and Zola) in movie #2. I was thinking it more along the lines of Redford being the bad guy in #2, and the whole Civil War storyline boiled down into #3.

Everyone other than Red Skull is second-tier, in Cap's gallery.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

JimZipCode wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:37 pm
Turdacious wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:29 pm The Cap movies expressly built on his rogues gallery (which is also pretty weak), kept his old school supporting cast (Falcon), and built a three movie story arc around the best story in the Cap library.
Ugh, I'm old. The Winter Soldier feels so new to me, I don't even think of him as part of the rogues gallery. I guess you're right, if you look at Hydra (and Zola) in movie #2. I was thinking it more along the lines of Redford being the bad guy in #2, and the whole Civil War storyline boiled down into #3.

Everyone other than Red Skull is second-tier, in Cap's gallery.
Good points. To me it brings up another question- without Skull (who they kind of/sort of killed off, and he's the best of a weak bunch of rogues), are there really any Cap stories left worth retelling in a feature film?

If you get a chance, read The Hiketeia (I hear it's available for free online). Great Bats/WW chemistry and dark as hell. I think you'd like it.

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

Shapecharge wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:05 pm Man, that fuckin' John Hamm is a good lookin' dude.
Thanks

Topic author
JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Turdacious wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:36 amIf you get a chance, read The Hiketeia (I hear it's available for free online). Great Bats/WW chemistry and dark as hell. I think you'd like it.
Was available online for free. Thanks for the rec. Very good read.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

NERDS!
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

TerryB wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:40 amNERDS!
Teri, you want me to send you the vids I made for Benji? They're actually pretty good.

Topic author
JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Turdacious wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:14 amThe only good enemies WW has are straight out of Roman mythology-- and this story killed them all off.
Turdacious wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:29 pmEvery good Wonder Woman story either involves another major DC hero or brings in Greek and Roman mythology. Ares, Circe, Hades, and Medusa are badass villains-- killing one off and explaining the others away was Quest for Peace stupid.
The family watched this again last night, on demand.

The reason you're wrong about this – which is not to say that you don't have a point, but the reason this needn't be a problem – is because the only "source" that told us the other gods were all killed off, is WW's mom. And she has already lied to WW about Zeus' involvement in WW's origin. She lied to protect Diana from Ares. Who's to say she didn't lie about ALL of it, to protect Diana from not just Ares but all the other gods too?

The next writer can bring in the whole gang, and there's no real inconsistency.

Movie's still damn watchable by the way, even on the nth viewing, however many times I've seen it. She's charming as hell. So many little moments are super cute. The whole banter on the boat about where Chris Pine is going to sleep; marching thru the streets of London and suddenly she sees a baby for the first time; trying the ice cream cone in the train station; Scottish dude offers to quit their little band and she's all "No Charlie, who will sing for us?" Friggin adorable.

I hear the Justice League movie is terrible.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

I also heard justice league was terrible but just talked to a teen about this. She said she read the worst possible review before seeing it and so, was pleasantly surprised by how not offensively horrible it was and so enjoyed watching it. I got tickets to see it at the IMAX on thanksgiving. Might still bail, but hey, why not. :)
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.