Gladwell Unmasked

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Gladwell Unmasked

Post by Fat Cat »

I know there are some fans of Malcolm Gladwell here, as there have been repeated discussions of his works like Outliers and Blink. He also happens to be a lying pile of shit. Enjoy!

http://exiledonline.com/malcolm-gladwel ... pagandist/
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Gladwell Unmasked

Post by Shapecharge »

Fuck. Crushed.

CharlieBob
Sarge

Post by CharlieBob »

Fuck that guy, I had to read his tipping point book for a psych class in undergrad. I thought it was a piss poor book from a garbage author at the time, so this does not surprise me.
"I swear by my life and by my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine"

tzg
Gunny

Post by tzg »

I guess he put 10,000 hours into that.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

The author should have put 10,000 hours into editing that piece.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

FRKCTL
Sergeant Commanding

Post by FRKCTL »

Pinky wrote:The author should have put 10,000 hours into editing that piece.
+1

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

I just finished "What The Dog Saw", which is a compilation of some of his New Yorker articles and noticed zero shilling. Very interesting book.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Pinky wrote:The author should have put 10,000 hours into editing that piece.
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Big Tobacco's not getting their money's worth-- I've never read something from the NBER and thought "I really need a cigarette."
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

FRKCTL
Sergeant Commanding

Post by FRKCTL »

The author, Yasha Levine, doesn't think much of Freakonomics author Levitt either. http://exiledonline.com/s-h-a-m-e-profi ... extremist/

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

I decided Freakonomics was a suspect piece of shit when I noticed that every chapter heading started with a NY Times quote "Gee Whiz, Steven Levitt is Wonderful"...
...written by Stephen Dubner, Levitt's co-author of F'n nomics.

The self-promotion puts Scott Sonnon in the shade.

*Jared Diamond, author of Guns, Germs & Steel, is another one I don't trust.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Don't tell Fatty that Levine is a Zionist.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

Turdacious wrote:Big Tobacco's not getting their money's worth-- I've never read something from the NBER and thought "I really need a cigarette."
I can't believe that a paper about smoking reducing the Social Security system's liability by killing people prematurely didn't make you want to light up.

I laughed when I saw the NBER referred to as "notorious".
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

FRKCTL wrote:The author, Yasha Levine, doesn't think much of Freakonomics author Levitt either. http://exiledonline.com/s-h-a-m-e-profi ... extremist/
Gladwell is a bit of a hustler, bet Levitt's reputation is that he's incredibly sharp.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
FRKCTL wrote:The author, Yasha Levine, doesn't think much of Freakonomics author Levitt either. http://exiledonline.com/s-h-a-m-e-profi ... extremist/
Gladwell is a bit of a hustler, bet Levitt's reputation is that he's incredibly sharp.
...and that he needs to pick better grad students to do his regression analysis.

CharlieBob
Sarge

Post by CharlieBob »

johno wrote:*Jared Diamond, author of Guns, Germs & Steel, is another one I don't trust.
woa woa wao, What?!?
"I swear by my life and by my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine"

milosz

Post by milosz »

There's another Gladwell hit floating around. I think both are pretty weak indictments of him (HE LIKED REAGAN IN 1982!!!), but that's irrelevant - Gladwell is a harebrained ninny. That's all the damning he needs.

Levitt falls into the usual economist trap of thinking economics is a hard science rather than social science/philosophy (depending on the day).

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

milosz wrote:Levitt falls into the usual economist trap of thinking economics is a hard science rather than social science/philosophy (depending on the day).
Go on.....

Crust Bucket
Lord of the thighs

Post by Crust Bucket »

How does Seeahill fit into all of this?
I just know he does somehow :toimonster:
syaigh wrote: The thought of eating that giant veiny monstrosity makes me want to barf.
You're an ASS!
ImageImage

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

milosz wrote:There's another Gladwell hit floating around. I think both are pretty weak indictments of him (HE LIKED REAGAN IN 1982!!!), but that's irrelevant - Gladwell is a harebrained ninny. That's all the damning he needs.

Levitt falls into the usual economist trap of thinking economics is a hard science rather than social science/philosophy (depending on the day).
I've never thought of Gladwell as a corporate shill, I just thought of him as a shaggy dog tale teller and lazy cherry pickers of data.

Fact is, as Gladwell and Levitt have made careers pointing out, popular perceptions are often wrong, and both Gladwell and Levitt are popular authors, which means that they themselves are often wrong.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

Turdacious wrote:
milosz wrote:Levitt falls into the usual economist trap of thinking economics is a hard science rather than social science/philosophy (depending on the day).
Go on.....
Sorry. That's all the illiterati has. Levitt's problems haven't come from being too sloppy with the regressions he runs. They come from him acting as though he's a physicist (whatever that means).

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Pinky wrote:
Turdacious wrote:
Go on.....
Sorry. That's all the illiterati has. Levitt's problems haven't come from being too sloppy with the regressions he runs. They come from him acting as though he's a physicist (whatever that means).
I dunno.
This: http://www.economist.com/node/5246700?story_id=5246700 was climate science bad.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

Are you counting climate science as a "hard science"? What's next, epidemiology?

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Pinky wrote:Are you counting climate science as a "hard science"? What's next, epidemiology?
And phrenology!

Hank Scorpio
A Mean Caucasian

Post by Hank Scorpio »

CharlieBob wrote:
johno wrote:*Jared Diamond, author of Guns, Germs & Steel, is another one I don't trust.
woa woa wao, What?!?
I don't trust him either, after seeing his TV version of the book mentioned above. He's one of those who believes that Western civilization is positioned as it is due to a bunch of accidents.

You have no chance to survive make your time.
Ha Ha Ha Ha ....