Al Kavadlo's "Raising the Bar"

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Abandoned by Wolves

Al Kavadlo's "Raising the Bar"

Post by Abandoned by Wolves »

I bought this because Kavadlo was pretty impressive as a model in Convict Conditioning 2, and his website is pretty down to earth. Thought I'd pick up some useful supplemental ideas for BW exercise and programming and progressions.

Pro: Lots of nice pictures of Al and his brother doing very impressive BW things based on pullups, dips, muscle ups and handstand pushups. Very inspiring.

Cons: The book offers some variations on those exercises, but no real programming or "gateways" to shoot for to make you ready for the next hardest progression, which was the nice thing about Convict Conditioning.

Cons: Kind of a slim volume for the price - you're paying the usual "Dragon Door" inflated price. Being overcharged for "elite training information" is regarded as a priviledge by the DD masses. If only I could learn to write copy like JDC does, I'd own half the Midwest by now.

Verdict: Interesting, but hardly a necessity. If you love all things BW and need something to stoke your enthusiasm and don't mind spending $40+ bucks (with shipping), you will probably be OK with it. Me, I'll keep it rather than send it back, but in all, my reaction is: "meh".
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Al Kavadlo's "Raising the Bar"

Post by TerryB »

Abandoned by Wolves wrote:I bought this because Kavadlo was pretty impressive as a model in Convict Conditioning 2
I stopped reading right there
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank »

Thanks for the review. I think JDC just wanted someone white to do a book on bar stuff. I don't find Kavadlo that impressive, a bad one arm chin-up and doing a bunch of human flags just doesn't wow me when that's the guy's main focus and supposedly has been for a good number of years now.

I found CC much better, even while still lacking in programming advice IMO.

Topic author
Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves »

protobuilder wrote:
Abandoned by Wolves wrote:I bought this because Kavadlo was pretty impressive as a model in Convict Conditioning 2
Then my review served its purpose!
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

Paradoxes of Defense
Private

Post by Paradoxes of Defense »

I plan on getting this purely for the pictures, and because Al's a good guy (I've trained with him a tiny bit), but am expecting to be disappointed by the text. Anything I get from that will be a pleasant surprise, and treated as such. Still, I probably won't hate it as much as Convict Conditioning.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

protobuilder wrote:
That's a PR for you! I am so impressed.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.