Didn't Build That

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Didn't Build That

Post by baffled »

"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Crust Bucket
Lord of the thighs

Re: Didn't Build That

Post by Crust Bucket »

syaigh wrote: The thought of eating that giant veiny monstrosity makes me want to barf.
You're an ASS!
ImageImage

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

- Buck Brannaman

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Stay unemployed, my friend.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

milosz

Post by milosz »

Jesus, the people trying to make hay out of that line have gone full retard.

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Go on
- Buck Brannaman

milosz

Post by milosz »

http://thinkprogress.org/election/2012/ ... ent-money/
After the conservative blogosphere used a selectively edited Obama campaign speech to suggest that the president belittled the achievements of small business owners, the Romney campaign released an attack ad featuring New Hampshire small business owner Jack Gilchrist as a counterpoint.
In “These Hands,” the Romney campaign repeated the out-of-context quote, “If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else did that.” Jack Gilchrist, the owner of Gilchrist Metal Fabricating in Hudson, New Hampshire, incredulously asks, “My father’s hands didn’t build this company? My hands didn’t build this company? My son’s hands aren’t building this company? …Through hard work and a little bit of luck, we built this business. Why are you demonizing us for it?”

In context, Obama’s speech was not “demonizing” small business owners but simply challenging the idea that wealthy and successful individuals have never benefited from government services.

And, as it turns out, Jack Gilchrist is no different. The New Hampshire Union Leader reports today that Gilchrist benefited from millions of dollars of government loans and contracts to get his business on its feet:

In 1999, Gilchrist Metal received $800,000 in tax-exempt revenue bonds issued by the New Hampshire Business Finance Authority “to set up a second manufacturing plant and purchase equipment to produce high definition television broadcasting equipment,” according to a New Hampshire Union Leader report at the time…

Last year, Gilchrist Metal also received two U.S. Navy sub-contracts totaling about $83,000 and a smaller $5,600 Coast Guard contract in 2008, according to a government web site that tracks spending.

Gilchrist wisely took advantage of these funds, which help small businesses like his survive in their early years. He also took a U.S. Small Business Administration loan in the late 1980s totaling “somewhere south of” $500,000, plus matching funds from the federally-funded New England Trade Adjustment Assistance Center.

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

LOL at "thinkprogress.org". Surprising they would defend Obama! LMAO

KingSchmaltzBagelHour

Post by KingSchmaltzBagelHour »

Lol @ going on a commercial implying you and you father built a company without anyone's help and you accepted federal aid money.

clutch

Post by clutch »

My wife was a big Obama fan, until that Roanoke speech. She knows the hours I've put into my business - the hundred hour work weeks, working 30-40 hours straight, the fines I've paid for getting bad advice from accountants on maintaining unemployment insurance for myself, which I'll never be able to claim against...and I've never received any government grant or loan.

For fuck's sake, I'm 50 years old, and haven't had a vacation longer than 3 days in the past 8 years. I've had one two week vacation since I started the business in 1992.

I have had numerous other people steal my code, my ideas, my clients, thereby materially impacting our life.

After that single speech - and I didn't say anything, just had her watch it - she's voting against Obama.

KingSchmaltzBagelHour

I'm sure it pissed a bunch of Obama supporters off, I just think its funny that the guy they picked to illustrate the hardwork and dedication of small business owners actually reinforces Obamas claim. Don't they vet these people first?

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

ButterCupPowerRanch wrote:I'm sure it pissed a bunch of Obama supporters off, I just think its funny that the guy they picked to illustrate the hardwork and dedication of small business owners actually reinforces Obamas claim. Don't they vet these people first?
Romneys stupid commercial doesn't take away from what Obama said. Its pretty lame for that website to even bring that up as a deflection. "Oh yeah? Well look at this dumb thing Romney did!"

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

BobW wrote:My wife was a big Obama fan, until that Roanoke speech. She knows the hours I've put into my business - the hundred hour work weeks, working 30-40 hours straight, the fines I've paid for getting bad advice from accountants on maintaining unemployment insurance for myself, which I'll never be able to claim against...and I've never received any government grant or loan.

For fuck's sake, I'm 50 years old, and haven't had a vacation longer than 3 days in the past 8 years. I've had one two week vacation since I started the business in 1992.

I have had numerous other people steal my code, my ideas, my clients, thereby materially impacting our life.

After that single speech - and I didn't say anything, just had her watch it - she's voting against Obama.
Bob, did she watch the speech or the clip? Here's the context:
There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me — because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t — look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something — there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. (Applause.)

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.
This seems very innocuous to me since in context the dashes and pronoun make it pretty clear he's talking about infrastructure. If he said "If you've got a business you didn't build it" he could go eat a dick, but he didn't say that.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

The whole statement is just as bad, IMO. Just a bunch of collectivist, statist rhetoric. What he is essentially saying is "You couldn't do shit without the govt as it exists now, so keep the taxes coming. And don't be mad if we raise taxes and increase the size of govt even more."
Last edited by Herv100 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

First:
Obama's speech is laughable, in that he didn't build it; it was an inferior riff on Elizabeth Warren's speech. (You may know Warren, she's the Massachusetts Dem Senate candidate who got ahead by claiming a distant Indian in her woodpile.)

Second:
Obama’s infrastructure argument is easily refuted by what is essentially a controlled social experiment. Roads and schools are the constant. What’s variable is the energy, enterprise, risk-taking, hard work and genius of the individual. It is therefore precisely those individual characteristics, not the communal utilities, that account for the different outcomes.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ ... story.html
Proto, click on the link. It's a great editorial by Krauthammer.

W.B. Yeats

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Krauthammer was a good dude in the 90's who has gone completely off the deep end.
Obama’s infrastructure argument is easily refuted by what is essentially a controlled social experiment. Roads and schools are the constant. What’s variable is the energy, enterprise, risk-taking, hard work and genius of the individual. It is therefore precisely those individual characteristics, not the communal utilities, that account for the different outcomes.
Infrastructure is not constant. Try starting Amazon or Facebook in any non-Westernized country. Start a newspaper in Pyongyang or delivering pizzas in Damascus or Mogadishu.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Another comment take out of context and beaten to death by people who already didn't like the guy who said it.

What else is new in politics?
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Infrastructure is not constant. Try starting Amazon or Facebook in any non-Westernized country. Start a newspaper in Pyongyang or delivering pizzas in Damascus or Mogadishu.
You dodged the issue. Obama was talking about the US. So were we.

In the US, people generally succeed by working smart & working hard.

W.B. Yeats

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

johno wrote: In the US, people generally succeed by working smart & working hard.
When you read the entirety of what he said, do you really think he was saying working smart and working hard play no factor in success, or that success is ONLY due to government?
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

johno wrote:
Grandpa's Spells wrote:
You dodged the issue. Obama was talking about the US. So were we.

In the US, people generally succeed by working smart & working hard.
Of course, I don't think anybody denies that.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Oh, I think he does. Or panders to those who do.
Why else his (Elizabeth Warren's) comments?
Did Romney say we don't need the police, the courts, or the roads?

W.B. Yeats

KingSchmaltzBagelHour

No. He just wants them all privatized. Got to keep those Jobs Creators creatin' jobs that pay 8.50 an hour with no bennies.
Last edited by KingSchmaltzBagelHour on Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yes I Have Balls

Post by Yes I Have Balls »

BobW wrote:After {watching a carefully edited snippet of} that single speech {on Fox News} - and I didn't say anything, just had her watch it - she's voting against Obama.
There, I fixed that for ya.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

johno wrote:Oh, I think he does. Or panders to those who do.
Why else his (Elizabeth Warren's) comments?
I didn't read Warren's. Obama was making an argument that people succeed in this country not solely because of hard work and self-reliance, but also the systems and protections that others provide, along with some luck. It's an obviously true statement, but due to some clumsiness in phrasing it gave a very desperate Romney a chance to move the news cycle off his taxes and Bain.
Did Romney say we don't need the police, the courts, or the roads?
I'd think not.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:it gave a very desperate Romney a chance to move the news cycle off his taxes and Bain
And puts the news cycle back where it should be: on Obama's botched recovery.

W.B. Yeats