Swell - we're sending people to Libya and Yemen.

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Swell - we're sending people to Libya and Yemen.

Post by Gene »

Sure hope that this isn't another "Beirut 1983". No ammo in weapons. Suck up the Arty.

If Obama gets another "Marine Barracks" massacre... well, fuck him if it happens.
9/14/12 1:09 PM

President Obama formally notifies lawmakers that he moved troops to Libya and Yemen:

"Although these security forces are equipped for combat, these movements have been undertaken solely for the purpose of protecting American citizens and property." he wrote in a letter Friday. "These security forces will remain in Libya and in Yemen until the security situation becomes such that they are no longer needed."

Full text:

TEXT OF A LETTER FROM THE PRESIDENT
TO THE SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
AND THE PRESIDENT PRO TEMPORE OF THE SENATE
September 14, 2012
Dear Mr. Speaker: (Dear Mr. President: )

On September 12, 2012, in response to an attack on our diplomatic post in Benghazi, Libya, that killed four U.S. citizens, including U.S. Ambassador John Christopher Stevens, a security force from the U.S. Africa Command deployed to Libya to support the security of U.S. personnel in Libya. Further, on September 13, an additional security force arrived in Yemen in response to security threats there.

Although these security forces are equipped for combat, these movements have been undertaken solely for the purpose of protecting American citizens and property. These security forces will remain in Libya and in Yemen until the security situation becomes such that they are no longer needed.

These actions have been directed consistent with my responsibility to protect U.S. citizens both at home and abroad, and in furtherance of U.S. national security and foreign policy interests, pursuant to my constitutional authority to conduct U.S. foreign relations and as Commander in Chief and Chief Executive.

I am providing this report as part of my efforts to keep the Congress fully informed, consistent with the War Powers Resolution (Public Law 93-148). I appreciate the support of the Congress in these actions.
Sincerely,
BARACK OBAMA
http://www.politico.com/politico44/whit ... moves.html
Don't like yourself too much.

kreator

Re: Swell - we're sending people to Libya and Yemen.

Post by kreator »

How about we just close the embassies. They don't want to play nice, then pack up and leave - they can self-destruct.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

What's more humane-- nuclear bombs or weapon @ unl@ash@d on their goat populations?
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

Turdacious wrote:What's more humane-- nuclear bombs or weapon @ unl@ash@d on their goat populations?
Were you born a stupid ignorant fuck or did you reach this peak of perfection through diligent practice and hard work?
Don't like yourself too much.

Yes, I'm drunk

Post by Yes, I'm drunk »

Gene wrote:
Turdacious wrote:What's more humane-- nuclear bombs or weapon @ unl@ash@d on their goat populations?
Were you born a stupid ignorant fuck or did you reach this peak of perfection through diligent practice and hard work?
From 'his' posts, it appears to be a little bit of both.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

kreator wrote:How about we just close the embassies. They don't want to play nice, then pack up and leave - they can self-destruct.
Close embassies and withhold any and all foreign aid.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien »

Terry B. wrote:
kreator wrote:How about we just close the embassies. They don't want to play nice, then pack up and leave - they can self-destruct.
Close embassies and withhold any and all foreign aid.
Trade embargo, no more diplomatic contact, no more financial aids.

Saves the US money and worries.
Shafpocalypse Now wrote: If I put this pie on end, and spin in, it forms a volume of space similar to a sphere.
Now look. I've eaten a pice of pie.
When we spin the pie again, the area cut out of the volume of the sphere equals fitness.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

I think we should double down: open 3, 4, 5 embassies everytime they bomb one.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Because china and others will fill the gap. Our ability to influence things goes down, our direct competitor's goes up.

Thatcher II

Post by Thatcher II »

The best way to defeat an enemy is to make him your friend. Cutting aid = bad. Withdrawing = bad. Don't give in. Stay. Overcome with strategy, not knee-jerk reaction.

There has never been a great empire that didn't collapse. Be mindful of this always. Be bold when necessary. Otherwise be cautious as your default. Prepare for the worst always. Lose the arrogance.
It's great to be first at last

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

An 11 year war is obviously.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Gorbachev wrote:The best way to defeat an enemy is to make him your friend. Cutting aid = bad. Withdrawing = bad. Don't give in. Stay. Overcome with strategy, not knee-jerk reaction.

There has never been a great empire that didn't collapse. Be mindful of this always. Be bold when necessary. Otherwise be cautious as your default. Prepare for the worst always. Lose the arrogance.
The Byzantine empire wrote the book on this and survived a millennium beyond the fall of Rome. Too subtle for us at this time I'm afraid.

Obama's "leading from behind" kind of touches on this but I don't think he's doing it for the purpose of strategically maintaining our position in the world. I suspect he really believes the world would be a better place with a weaker US. Jeremiah Wright's liberation theology and such.

Non sequitur: The more I compare O and W, the more I see them as slightly different versions of each other. And....together they spell OW! I think it might be a prophesy of some kind.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party