Why you should have emergency food on hand

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Why you should have emergency food on hand

Post by Batboy2/75 »

& evacuate when a storm described as a Frankenstorm is headed your way.

http://abcnews.go.com/news/t/blogEntry?id=17622650

Instead of blaming the Gvt or the Red Cross, they should blame themselves for not evacuating inland
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Sassenach
ironslinger

Re: Why you should have emergency food on hand

Post by Sassenach »

I have NO sympathy for these people. There was almost a week advance warning for this storm.
Kazuya Mishima wrote:they can pry the bacon from my cold dead hand.

cleaner464
Sgt. Major

Post by cleaner464 »

Staten Island not exactly populated with Nobel Prize winners.
“Attached hereto is a copy of Mr. Trump’s birth certificate, demonstrating that he is the son of Fred Trump, not an orangutan,”

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Jezebel Jones wrote:I have NO sympathy for these people. There was almost a week advance warning for this storm.

Tragic shit that woman losing her kids out of the car. Tragic and totally avoidable.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

In their defense, every storm is made out to sound like the apocalypse. We heard the same shit before Irene. If I had kids I would have split, but being on my own, I said fuck it and went to work, although that was probably safer than staying at home
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

That's fair..out west we only have the two kinds

Sudden random specific death of an earthquake (avoid concrete bridges and masonry buildings) and
World ending Volcanoes you can pretty much see coming...basically if you can see it, you are slightly to largely FUCT.

So there's no point in running. stock up,hunker down and drink.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Jezebel Jones wrote:I have NO sympathy for these people. There was almost a week advance warning for this storm.
Tragic shit that woman losing her kids out of the car. Tragic and totally avoidable.
No. The small children should have stocked up on food and put on arm floaties as a precaution.

Dicks.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Nobody blamed the kids. Blame the dumbass cunt that didn't evacuate when she had the chance.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Ed Zachary wrote:Nobody blamed the kids. Blame the dumbass cunt that didn't evacuate when she had the chance.
Bear in mind a lot of the people who didn't evacuate are going to be old, infirm, mentally ill, etc. "just leave" is not an option for everyone. Then you have the dumb ones.

The more I interact with truly stupid people, the more I sympathize with them when their stupidity gets them into trouble. What the fuck are they supposed to, be smart? "Yo, you should have have spontaneously developed the ability to weigh the risks and consequences better, B. Now your babies are dead. No sympathy from me, dumbass." That shit's cold.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

At least they're still doing the NYC marathon-- because using the extra cops who will have to pull marathon security to stop looting or rescue trapped people would make no sense.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

It doesn't sound like that many people evacuated.

I have sympathy for the mother. Like almost any mother, she is going to torture herself for the rest of her life for her poor decisions that contributed to her children's deaths.

I'm guessing they thought better of their decision to ride the storm out and tried to get out. Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

The storm provided a week's notice and traveled on essentially the precise path it was supposed to.

However, for the sake of it, where were they supposed to go?
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Terry B. wrote:The storm provided a week's notice and traveled on essentially the precise path it was supposed to.

The weather was beautiful out here in the San Francisco Bay Area until last night around 8pm.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

baffled wrote:
Terry B. wrote:The storm provided a week's notice and traveled on essentially the precise path it was supposed to.

The weather was beautiful out here in the San Francisco Bay Area until last night around 8pm.
You still have those Haitians you took in living with you?
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Terry B. wrote:
baffled wrote:

We don't take in Haitians around here.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

baffled wrote:
Just Filipinos?

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

baffled wrote:
Terry B. wrote:
baffled wrote:

That sound from the basement.....didn't hear it.
Ed Zachary wrote:
baffled wrote:
Just Filipinos?
You beat me to it.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Hehe

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

You and your dependents live and die by your choices. She chose incorrectly and now has to deal with the consequences. It is sad that children died but she chose this. If her bad decision making was due to her stupidity or just not buying into the hyper, it is still her fault for choosing incorrectly. Natural selection still has a way of working itself into the equation.

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

There were plenty of places to go. Family if you have them, hotels if you could afford it, or one of the many shelters that were set up in schools around the city. And which remain open. There's high ground on Staten Island even if you couldn't get to Brooklyn, Manhattan or New Jersey.
I think the issue, as I stated before, is that people just didn't believe it would, or could, get as bad as it was. These storms tend to get hyped in the media, and then don't live up to expectations. Eventually you stop believing what you see on the news.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

cleaner464 wrote:Staten Island not exactly populated with Nobel Prize winners.

Staten Island is the number one breeding ground for producing Jets fans.

When I lived in Wilmington, NC, we got hit with Bertha, Fran, Bonnie, Dennis (I think) and then finally Floyd, which pre Katrina was the big daddy storm in modern times. There were some tropical storms thrown in as well. This was all inside of two back to back seasons, IIRC. We evacuated for Floyd and evacuating was just about as dangerous in that case as staying behind....so yes, a judgement call, but we didn't have kids back then and while we were very close to the coast (less than a half mile), we were not on an island. I was also home in NYC for that huge storm in 92 or 93.

All I can say is kids change everything. I understand the suspicion of the media hype part but there was no reason to stay on that garbage dump island when shit finally looked really real...none....there was plenty of time at that point. May her kids RIP as well as the souls of others as the body count rises.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

The Ginger Beard Man wrote:

There were plenty of places to go. Family if you have them, hotels if you could afford it, or one of the many shelters that were set up in schools around the city. And which remain open. There's high ground on Staten Island even if you couldn't get to Brooklyn, Manhattan or New Jersey.
I think the issue, as I stated before, is that people just didn't believe it would, or could, get as bad as it was. These storms tend to get hyped in the media, and then don't live up to expectations. Eventually you stop believing what you see on the news.
Shelters were what I was getting at - hadn't seen any reports of them open.

I saw a lot of pictures and videos of people out and taking pictures in the midst of the storm - even though it wasn't a hurricane by the time it hit the US, anybody doing such a thing is an idiot and doesn't understand what they are dealing with.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

Just thinking about lower Manhattan alone....other interesting things to see for downtown as this shit unfolds.....

How much looting did the chimps do? You know there's got to be a shit load of looting going on.

Rats: more rats in NYC than people....they must have spread all over the damned place.

Boiler Rooms: how many boilers are beyond repair and how long will it take to replace them. It's going to get cold. I'm thinking more about frozen and burst pipes than uncomfortable people.

Water pressure: skyscrapers hold thousands of workers. That's a lot of toilets flushing.

It's both amazing and a blessing that midtown and upwards were not rocked as bad.

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Rats
I don't want to think about this one. In 98 there was a storm that caused a lot of flooding and shut down the subway. I lived in Soho at the time. The rats went up into buildings, including mine. Lived with them for over a month. That's a bad memory.

The restaurant I work in remained open throughout the storm, even after losing a skylight and spraying glass into the dining room. No one was hurt, but most of us realized we shouldn't have been open at that point.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

People don't understand the power of water. They see a large body of water and equate it to a lake or a float along the lazy river. Horrible thing about those kids, but it seems to happen every time there's a flood.

I went through a multi-vortex F4 tornado as a kid. We had a big flood a couple years later. If shit looks bad, I'm taking the kids out of school, gassing up the truck (and a couple jerry cans), throwing our 3-day kits in the car, and getting the fuck out. Hotel, side of the road, it doesn't matter. Mother Nature will whip your ass every time.