Tim Noakes-Banting Diet

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Bob Wildes

Tim Noakes-Banting Diet

Post by Bob Wildes »

"Tell A.P. Hill he must come up."

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Tim Noakes-Banting Diet

Post by TomFurman »

So South Africa is 30 years behind Zone, South Beach, Atkins, PaleoTard ?
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Topic author
Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

TomFurman wrote:So South Africa is 30 years behind Zone, South Beach, Atkins, PaleoTard ?
Well over 100 years after Banting.
"Tell A.P. Hill he must come up."

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

But instead, in my case, under the action of insulin most of the carbohydrate that I ingest is directed into my fat cells where it contributes to progressive weight gain, continual hunger, lethargy and, in time, pancreatic failure and the onset of the irreversible and universally fatal condition, adult-onset diabetes. I am as certain as I can be that this eating plan is the only effective long-term health solution for anyone who shares this Banting/Noakes biology.

The yet to be answered question is: How many South Africans who are unhappy with the effects of their dietary choices on their bodies, share this same biology? If it is a majority, then there are many, many South Africans who will benefit from “banting”. If it is a minority, then relatively few will benefit. Since most South Africans are already eating diets high in carbohydrates, especially those that are refined, my bias is to believe that many might benefit from this eating plan.

Eating plan for life

The third point is that this is not a diet, it is an eating plan for life – it is a life style, it is a new eating behaviour. This is not the way to go for anyone who wishes a quick fix to lose weight and to improve their health by changing their eating patterns for as short a time as possible. Once you “bant”, you have to stick with it for life. Because those who successfully lose weight on this eating pattern will regain that weight and more within a short time of going back to eating the way they did before – that is, returning to eat the foods that precipitated the problem in the first place.

The point is that the metabolic abnormality (CR) driving the problem is not ever going to normalise regardless of how much weight is lost or even how much exercise is performed. For those of us with CR, our metabolism is the problem and if we want to do the best for our bodies, then we have to change forever the nature of the foods that we eat. But I argue that this change is much easier than most would ever believe. Unfortunately it is also the advice that many dieticians may be scared to prescribe for the reason that they have been taught that high fat, low carbohydrate Banting diets full of “artery-clogging” saturated fats are dangerous. But this is an unsubstantiated dogma that does not stand up to an intelligent and independent interpretation of the complete scientific literature.
Firstly-

Upon hitting the wild and being consumed by the health-conscious net-denizens, I anticipate a huge surge in individuals claiming to have this metabolic "abnormality," similarly to how so many claim they have Ciliac Disease these days.

Also-

Anybody know any morbidly obese diabetics out there who claim "I got this way eating oranges and rye bread?"

My own personal experience-

I get fat when I consume lots of refined sugar, no matter how much I lift or how much I roll. Conversely, I get lean fast when I avoid refined sugar 90% of the time -while still consuming "slow carbs," lift, do Jiu Jitsu, and walk for an hour or two every day.

And I'd be willing to wager that the majority of individuals out there would, too.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

Dr. Agkistrodon wrote: "...lift, do Jiu Jitsu, and walk for an hour or two every day..."
What % of people do all that ? Even just the walking ? You are elite activity-wise.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

Dr. Agkistrodon wrote:
Upon hitting the wild and being consumed by the health-conscious net-denizens, I anticipate a huge surge in individuals claiming to have this metabolic "abnormality," similarly to how so many claim they have Ciliac Disease these days.
Agreed wholeheartedly. I know a ton of folks who claim to have Silly-sack symptoms. These individuals have some how managed a completely typical life until reading about how their genes are the culprit. Upon going on a gluten free and low carb, espcially refined carbs, diet they claim to feel SOOOO much better. You feel better due to eating healthier....who knew.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

Dunn wrote:
Dr. Agkistrodon wrote:
Agreed wholeheartedly. I know a ton of folks who claim to have Silly-sack symptoms. These individuals have some how managed a completely typical life until reading about how their genes are the culprit. Upon going on a gluten free and low carb, espcially refined carbs, diet they claim to feel SOOOO much better. You feel better due to eating healthier....who knew.
Precisely.

And what's more- I have a beef with people on the opposite end of the spectrum, too, the ones who train their balls off and do a super-low-carb Paleo eating plan with the hopes their body composition will improve. I've been there before, I get it. But fuck me, I CAN'T train how I want to on low-carb or ketogenic "dieting." It was a silly thing to try. When you use your body, why would you deny your body something it needs to help you train, like fruits and whatnot.

My whole philosophy is Be Reasonable and Don't Fight Your Body. Eat healthy food in amounts reasonable to support what you do, and don't limit yourself severely.

I'm AMAZED that more people haven't figured that out for themselves. Or maybe they have, but we don't hear about it because the majority of them don't use the Internet

Drew0786
Staff Sergeant

Post by Drew0786 »

Dr. Agkistrodon wrote: Anybody know any morbidly obese diabetics out there who claim "I got this way eating oranges and rye bread?"
I was at Costco last weekend and this pasty, dark circles around the eyes, fat woman said to her equally unhealthy husband.

"No we don't need bananas, the diet says no more than half a banana a day"

I thought yeah thats the root of all your problems eating too many bananas.
Take care and please.....................stay safe.