Paleomythic

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Paleomythic

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

From Discover

Scientificals regarding paleofantasy. Even has some DeVany. It's too long to post the whole thing.
The Paleo diet is just the beginning. It’s the gateway to an entire suite of lifestyle prescriptions devoted to mimicking the way our ancestors ate, moved, slept, and bred nearly 10,000 years ago in the Paleolithic era of hunting and gathering, an era Paleo followers associate with strong bodies and minds.

Members of this modern-day caveman community believe the path to optimal health is through eating only what our ancestors ate before modern agriculture and a shift to more sedentary ways. Devoted proponents of a Paleo lifestyle not only subsist primarily on meat and eschew carbs; they also exercise in short bursts of activity intended to mimic escaping prey. Even blood donation has become a Paleo fad among the most dogmatic of 21st-century cavemen, based on the notion that our ancestors were often wounded, making blood loss a way of life.

But new research reveals flaws in the logic behind these trends. As evolutionary and genetic science show, humans, like all other living beings, have always been a work in progress and never completely in sync with the natural world. If we’re going to romanticize and emulate a particular point in our evolutionary history, why not go all the way back to when our ape ancestors spent their days swinging from tree to tree?
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: Paleomythic

Post by Fat Cat »

Stay tuned for my forthcoming book on the Pleistocene Method, my unique formulation of ways and means I call HomoGenius™.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

milosz

Post by milosz »

The paleo-bashing trend is nearing the point where it's worse than paleo.

Both orthorexia and eating four pounds of bacon a day are lame, but 'paleo' seems to mean meat and vegetables and cutting out bullshit foods to most people so fuckit that ain't a bad eating lifestyle.
Last edited by milosz on Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

milosz wrote:The paleo-bashing trend is nearing the point where it's worse than paleo.

Both orthorexia and eating four pounds of bacon a day are lame, but for the part 'paleo' seems to mean meat and vegetables and cutting out bullshit foods to most people so fuckit that ain't a bad eating lifestyle.
That's been my take on it. There are far worse diets out there. That being said, when asshats treat it like a fucking religion it becomes a bit much to take.

Just try and keep your food made mostly of lean meats, fruits, and veggies. Ain't rocket surgery.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Eating meat and veggies is good for you, but GTFO if you are going to LARP all day that you're Tarzan.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

WildGorillaMan wrote:Eating meat and veggies is good for you, but GTFO if you are going to LARP all day that you're Tarzan.
Let he who has never trained in VFFs and a loincloth cast the first stone.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Has Wolf had his breakdown over this bashing yet, or is he holding strong?
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Re: The couch thread

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Wolfs pretty solid.

He also will be the first to tell you that, yeah, neolithics ate a lot of different ways. His starting point is "hey, just try it for 4 weeks and see if it helps"

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

I'm starting the Eskimo diet. Nothing but blubber.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Danny John
Gunny

Post by Danny John »

The problem with this kind of article is that my mother-in-law will see it and ask "are meat and veggies bad for you?" This is the problem that nutrition science is throwing at us: coffee is bad, coffee is good. I would argue deVany is more right than wrong about training versus long distance running, but this kind of light weight stuff is bad.

We all knew the Paleo bashing was coming. There is a great used bookstore here in SLC that you can walk down the diet section and watch the waves of diet fads come and go. I remember Thorne Miller telling me in 1991 that the "High Fat" craze was going to be right around the corner. It wasn't even a few days later that diPisquale came out with his high fat stuff.

I have yet to find a person that didn't thrive on either Paleo or Atkins, but there are really strong forces to overcome to stay on it (family, fats and carbs and sugars, ads) My son-in-law just got back from the Tony Robbins weekend and I agreed with everything that he learned, but we both discussed how hard it is to live on veggies, green juice and power foods without community support.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
WildGorillaMan wrote:Eating meat and veggies is good for you, but GTFO if you are going to LARP all day that you're Tarzan.
Let he who has never trained in VFFs and a loincloth cast the first stone.
That depends on whether you're oiling your muscles or your training partner is.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Re: The couch thread

Post by TomFurman »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Wolfs pretty solid.
He also will be the first to tell you that, yeah, neolithics ate a lot of different ways. His starting point is "hey, just try it for 4 weeks and see if it helps"
I joke with Robb constantly about this. He was interviewed by Anthony Colpo and basically said that it's hard to argue with a group like the Sardinians, who eat ample cheese, bread and black wine and do well. Alan Aragon just spoke about the Myth vs Reality of Paleoman,. pointing at the "Blue Zones" where people live long [many contributing factors, obviously] are ample carbohydrate diets.

Just like there are many "paleoman diets" there are many Mediterranean diets. Rather than look at the differences,.. focus on the similarities and measure the macros.
Why do people do better on Atkins or Paleo in Dan's anecdote?? -- this may be the first time they are consuming adequate protein.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

People who brand themselves by their method of eating or exercising invite ridicule.

Danny John
Gunny

Post by Danny John »

The people who study the eastern med and their longevity miss this:
http://www.abbamoses.com/fasting.html

During my adventures there ("Indiana Dan"), I discovered quickly that food and fasting were far different than I ever imagined. It isn't starvation, it's not eating. The longevity stuff might simply be that.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Orthodox monks and ascetics are known for the longevity and robust health. I generally think that the fear of grains is overplayed, and it is as much a question of quantity of food as it is specific food choices, with regard to modern health problems.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen