Anybody here who's afraid of heights, and if so...

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Anybody here who's afraid of heights, and if so...

Post by Kenny X »

...have you ever worked in a really tall building?

And if you have, how did you cope with it?

I just accepted an offer for a really great job. It's a big step-up for me career-wise, and it's awesome because I get the chance to do what I love doing IT-wise (Linux Administration and lots of Perl programming and NO monkeying around with unsupported, deprecated hardware); I'm really excited about it and I'm grateful for the opportunity.

And I'm also scared to death because I'll be working in a high-rise, on the 40th. floor or so, and heights scare the bejesus out of me. I'm not joking, I can literally think about being way up on one if those rigs, washing windows on a tall building, and make myself faint.

Any suggestions or helpful advice?

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Anybody here who's afraid of heights, and if so...

Post by baffled »

Xanax.

If that doesn't work, I've done a lot of stuff with visualization that's helped. I absolutely hate heights, but I've learned to appreciate the rush of adrenaline that comes with feeling like I'll shit my pants and pass out in a puddle.

You're not going to die up there, and if you do, you probably won't feel it, so chill.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud »

Don't look down.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

Yeah, stay away from the windows. You'll get used to it, but I still get vertigo from it sometimes when its unexpected.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Topic author
Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

baffled wrote:Xanax.

If that doesn't work, I've done a lot of stuff with visualization that's helped. I absolutely hate heights, but I've learned to appreciate the rush of adrenaline that comes with feeling like I'll shit my pants and pass out in a puddle.

You're not going to die up there, and if you do, you probably won't feel it, so chill.
Not only do I appreciate the advice, I also appreciate the humor.

I have been doing visualization, too. And re-programming my brain as it were, wherein I take the elevator where I work now to the forth floor, walk around and imagine I'm actually in a skyscraper on the hundredth floor, making note of the fact that unless I intentionally look out a window, it doesn't feel any different than being on the ground. An yes, when I do that, I get a small rush but it goes away.

Also, reassurance of not only safety, but also of a fast, relatively painless "it'll be over before you know what happened" death if something horrible did happen makes it a lot easier.

Topic author
Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

Thud wrote:Don't look down.
I love how appropos this response is, in relation to your username. Nicely played.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

Dr. Agkistrodon wrote:I'm not joking, I can literally think about being way up on one if those rigs, washing windows on a tall building, and make myself faint.
It doesn't sound like they're going to ask you to get in one of those rigs, so don't think about that.

Also, don't watch this video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k4Xk1mEwmI[/youtube]
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Topic author
Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

syaigh wrote:Yeah, stay away from the windows. You'll get used to it, but I still get vertigo from it sometimes when its unexpected.
Strict window avoidance is definitely going to be adhered to.

Topic author
Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

Pinky wrote:
Dr. Agkistrodon wrote:I'm not joking, I can literally think about being way up on one if those rigs, washing windows on a tall building, and make myself faint.
It doesn't sound like they're going to ask you to get in one of those rigs, so don't think about that.

Also, don't watch this video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k4Xk1mEwmI[/youtube]
At 1:26 seconds into that video my legs were shaking uncontrollably, I felt lightheaded and I legit peed a little.

I'm gonna watch it every day until I can watch it and stay calm, and afterwards I'm going to say a prayer thanking The Good Lord that that's NOT my job.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Dr. Agkistrodon wrote:

I have been doing visualization, too. And re-programming my brain as it were, wherein I take the elevator where I work now to the forth floor, walk around and imagine I'm actually in a skyscraper on the hundredth floor, making note of the fact that unless I intentionally look out a window, it doesn't feel any different than being on the ground. An yes, when I do that, I get a small rush but it goes away.

Also, reassurance of not only safety, but also of a fast, relatively painless "it'll be over before you know what happened" death if something horrible did happen makes it a lot easier.
You'll get used to it.

I largely got over my fear of heights by doing two things. One time, while in Canada, I took a climb up the side of a canyon. It was really nothing, and not worthy of describing given the climbers on this board, but when I realized I had to get down, I was scared shitless. Going up was fine.

By the time I got down, I was a lot more comfortable with heights.

The second was cliff diving (okay, jumping). I don't recommend this, especially if you're taking off in an uncharted area, where you're not sure what's under the surface.

I'm still not a fan, but the stuff I mentioned above, as well as a couple past experiences, have helped me to tame it a bit.
- Buck Brannaman

Topic author
Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

baffled wrote:
Dr. Agkistrodon wrote:

You'll get used to it.

I largely got over my fear of heights by doing two things. One time, while in Canada, I took a climb up the side of a canyon. It was really nothing, and not worthy of describing given the climbers on this board, but when I realized I had to get down, I was scared shitless. Going up was fine.

By the time I got down, I was a lot more comfortable with heights.

The second was cliff diving (okay, jumping). I don't recommend this, especially if you're taking off in an uncharted area, where you're not sure what's under the surface.

I'm still not a fan, but the stuff I mentioned above, as well as a couple past experiences, have helped me to tame it a bit.

I think a visit to VA to see my folks and a hike up Old Rag mountain might be in order.

No way I'm EVER cliff diving.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Dr. Agkistrodon wrote: I'm gonna watch it every day until I can watch it and stay calm, and afterwards I'm going to say a prayer thanking The Good Lord that that's NOT my job.
Good luck with that. I've got thousands of hours of flying and tons of rock climbing well into the death zone, and that video never fails to pucker me up. Oddly enough, seeing him wearing gloves adds to the freak. I'd want skin on holds the whole way. That plus the head movements and wide angle shot...all time best freakout video.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Topic author
Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

nafod wrote:
Dr. Agkistrodon wrote: I'm gonna watch it every day until I can watch it and stay calm, and afterwards I'm going to say a prayer thanking The Good Lord that that's NOT my job.
Good luck with that. I've got thousands of hours of flying and tons of rock climbing well into the death zone, and that video never fails to pucker me up. Oddly enough, seeing him wearing gloves adds to the freak. I'd want skin on holds the whole way. That plus the head movements and wide angle shot...all time best freakout video.
I watched again and just when he's negotiating the little triangular shaped platform I almost completely lost my marbles.

I hate this god damn video so much. I need to rethink that strategy...

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

Just a little warning....a lot of tall buildings sway a little bit in strong winds. Can make you feel like you're on a boat. I'm a New Yorker and 20 stories is the top of my comfort zone especially since 9/11.
Not to add fuel to the fire but you might find that when the elevator makes an unexpected stop, your fear of heights won't seem so bad.
Tantum validus superstes

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

nafod wrote:

For me the looking down is NBD...its when he looks up and out that gets me.

Also...what Cave said. Big tall buildings are built to bend and bounce. Anticipate it and it won't bug you as bad.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Holeyfraggaroley
Gunny

Post by Holeyfraggaroley »

Yeah I am not a big fan of heights either. I noticed that when I do look out windows if I look to the horizon and not straight down I do "ok". Just wait till there is an earthquake and you feel it sway under your feet. That will make you shit.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

Visualization is a plus. Watching vids like these can help desensitize you. I would say that those two plus getting out and pushing your comfort zone a bit will be the best thing for you. I had a big problem when I was younger with claustrophobia. Elevators were hell for me. Only thing that cured it was repeated exposure and strict breath control. Now I am certified for confined space rescue. Lol

OR you can come down here and we can take the boat out. I know some primo spots for cliff diving into the river. I can cure you in one day and you will get good food, fishing, and beer...all for free. I will even print you up a frame worthy certification for you.
Last edited by Dunn on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The man in black
Staff Sergeant

Post by The man in black »

I don't find myself in many situations where my fear of heights really kicks in, but when it does I look at it as a challenge to overcome. Sometimes I think if I treated every problem in life the way I treat being on a tall ladder I would be way more successful than I am.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Oh, and the breathing stuff Chesser has talked about is worth a shot. I'll just work on five seconds in and out.

Breath control is way important for me, and focusing on the time is a good way to take my mind off of whatever's got my nuts in a bind.
- Buck Brannaman

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Dunn wrote:OR you can come down here and we can take the boat out. I know some primo spots for cliff diving into the river.
Heh. There may be some truth to that. I found my fear of heights diminished significantly after spending a day working on a 20 foot ladder. Wearing shoes that allowed me to feel the ground more seemed to help too (fortunately there was no one there to tell me that chucks were not appropriate for electrical work).
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

milosz

Post by milosz »

I didn't think heights bothered me at all, but that antenna video gives me a rock in the pit of my stomach. Fuck.

I've been getting on and off of roofs since I was 5-6 but every time I step off of a roof onto a ladder (extension from a house or attached to a commercial) I'm momentarily certain that my boot is going to slip or the ladder will fall away and I'm going to be a quadriplegic.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

One thing that worked for me was to walk to the window and look straight out then drop my drawers and start jacking off. Once I drop a load on the window I'm usually cool. There's been several times though where I've had to bolt mid-stroke after some security guys came after me. It's a big building so I haven't been caught yet.

Topic author
Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

Dunn wrote:Visualization is a plus. Watching vids like these can help desensitize you. I would say that those two plus getting out and pushing your comfort zone a bit will be the best thing for you. I had a big problem when I was younger with claustrophobia. Elevators were hell for me. Only thing that cured it was repeated exposure and strict breath control. Now I am certified for confined space rescue. Lol

OR you can come down here and we can take the boat out. I know some primo spots for cliff diving into the river. I can cure you in one day and you will get good food, fishing, and beer...all for free. I will even print you up a frame worthy certification for you.
You just changed my mind about the cliff diving.

As for breath control, since I already do breath work when I meditate, this is definitely something I can work with.

If an earthquake ever happens while I'm up there I've ready decided- I'm gonna choke myself the fuck out.

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

Attachments
th.jpg
th.jpg (13.48 KiB) Viewed 3853 times
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

Topic author
Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

tough old man wrote:
I was wondering who was gonna post one of these.