What I learned from a Bulgarian

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Bob Wildes

What I learned from a Bulgarian

Post by Bob Wildes »

The boss hired a new guy last week. The dude, Vladimir, is from Bulgaria.

Vlad was born in 1984 so lived for a few years under the old system ( before the wall came down ).

He was a boxer in Bulgaria and currently appears to be about 5-8, 150 pounds.

He was not aware of how good Bulgaria was in olympic lifting, nor did he know who Naim Sulemainov(old name)
or Ivan Abadjiev were. I showed him a print out from Wikipedia about Naim and now he says he vaguely
remembers hearing about him.

He said the main reason most kids go to various sports schools is because they do poorly in school. That did
not compute with what I'd heard about the Communist Bloc sporting system.

He said that Bulgarian boxers trained with weights and that he used steroids. Not sure if all the boxers use
steroids there, but he acted like it was not unusual.

The number one thing that surprised me was his relative indifference to olympic lifting. What else is Bulgaria
known for? ](*,)
"Tell A.P. Hill he must come up."

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Re: What I learned from a Bulgarian

Post by powerlifter54 »

Bob Wildes wrote: The number one thing that surprised me was his relative indifference to olympic lifting. What else is Bulgaria
known for? ](*,)
Indifference to Olympic lifting is no vice. And randomization in the pursuit of "fitness" is no virtue.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Bob Wildes wrote: The number one thing that surprised me was his relative indifference to olympic lifting. What else is Bulgaria
known for? ](*,)
They make really good wine.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

His indifference to oly weightlifting is only one small indicator of his overall indifference to cutting your throat, either literally or figuratively, if it serves his purpose. Do not trust Bulgarians.

Topic author
Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

Shapecharge wrote:His indifference to oly weightlifting is only one small indicator of his overall indifference to cutting your throat, either literally or figuratively, if it serves his purpose. Do not trust Bulgarians.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's good to hear. This place has been like the 90s era Balkans for several years now.

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

I'm told they are known for some of the hottest women in Europe.

Topic author
Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

The Ginger Beard Man wrote:I'm told they are known for some of the hottest women in Europe.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Really?

He shouldn't have come hear then unless he's got a thing for "Big Girls".

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Being born in 84 means he was about 6 when the old system crumbled,so unless he was really into asking and listening to what went on before he is probably about as good a source as an American of the same interest. kid of the same age discussing life in the 1980's.

I worked with a guy who caught a 7.62WP in the side and swam a fucking river to get out of Bugaria. By professions he taught Communism in school there.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

kreator

Post by kreator »

Bob Wildes wrote: He was not aware of how good Bulgaria was in olympic lifting, nor did he know who Naim Sulemainov(old name)
or Ivan Abadjiev were. I showed him a print out from Wikipedia about Naim and now he says he vaguely
Naim is not exactly a Bulgarian national hero. He is ethnically Turkish, was persecuted by the Bulgarians, defected to become a Turkish citizen and compete for them, won his best meets as a Turk, and is now a Turkish politician.

I've also lifted next to Antonio Krastev (Bulgarian and all-time snatch record holder) and he deeply resents Bulgaria and never wants to go back.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

Bob Wildes wrote:The number one thing that surprised me was his relative indifference to olympic lifting. What else is Bulgaria
known for? ](*,)
Foreign sack-licking for things nobody else in that sack-licked country gives a shit about is one of our national pastimes. Like Russians and their kettle bells and Canadians and their moose fellating.

Topic author
Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

kreator wrote:
Bob Wildes wrote: He was not aware of how good Bulgaria was in olympic lifting, nor did he know who Naim Sulemainov(old name)
Naim is not exactly a Bulgarian national hero. He is ethnically Turkish, was persecuted by the Bulgarians, defected to become a Turkish citizen and compete for them, won his best meets as a Turk, and is now a Turkish politician.

I've also lifted next to Antonio Krastev (Bulgarian and all-time snatch record holder) and he deeply resents Bulgaria and never wants to go back.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes I knew about Naim's claim that Turks were persecuted by Bulgarians and the whole bit.

I though about asking the guy about Kolev or Rusev, but didn't.

Vladimir, the Bulgarian, agreed that Turks might have a beef with the Bulgarian government.

A friend of mine was a loader at the '96 Olympic Lifting venue in Atlanta. He was able to observe all
the top lifters for nearly two weeks prior to the games. He said Naim would do a set, go outside and
smoke a cigarette, do another set, go outside and smoke a cigarette and on and on.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

I've trained with two Bulgararin dudes at our gym. One a forensic accounting grad student who was way into geared PL and Westside.The other is a highly ranked amateur HW Strongman who works for the circus...no joke. His girl is on of those acrobat types that spins around and is suspended by her hair. She was hot, this is him.

Watched him push press a 405 axle for 3 reps out of the rack with zero warm up. Neither of these guys cared about Oly at all.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

International tennis tournament comes to the area once a year, my old gym was invaded by foreign tennis players.

I was doing some power snatches and this tall girl come over, very athletic, attractive, and says "I do too?". Turns out she was from Bulgaria, she regularly did power snatches and back squats in her S&C work

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Bionabol, a very clean and well dosed 5mg methandrostenolone from Bulgaria, flooded the market in the early 00s, taking away a ton of business from the then standard Thai pinks.

They were sourced by a particularly well known international dealer at the time, and came in lots of 1000 and 10000.

The dudes I knew who were into PEDS bought thousands of these, at $100/1000, if I remember what they told me.

Then the dealer either went scammer or was busted. Shortly after that, the paper stuff started coming around, and also International Pharmacy (IP) started offering powders and bulks out of either China or Pakistan.

Topic author
Bob Wildes

Re:

Post by Bob Wildes »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Bionabol, a very clean and well dosed 5mg methandrostenolone from Bulgaria, flooded the market in the early 00s, taking away a ton of business from the then standard Thai pinks.

They were sourced by a particularly well known international dealer at the time, and came in lots of 1000 and 10000.

The dudes I knew who were into PEDS bought thousands of these, at $100/1000, if I remember what they told me.

Then the dealer either went scammer or was busted. Shortly after that, the paper stuff started coming around, and also International Pharmacy (IP) started offering powders and bulks out of either China or Pakistan.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Damn Shaf, I think that is what Vladimir said he took. He said something that sounded like dianabol, but a bit
different. He does have an accent.

You know your PEDs.

Yes I Have Balls

Post by Yes I Have Balls »

Bob Wildes wrote:The number one thing that surprised me was his relative indifference to olympic lifting. What else is Bulgaria known for? ](*,)
Do you know what nemesis means...?

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Fat Cat wrote:A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent.
Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

Fat Cat wrote:A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent.
More properly, the agent of retribution is the nemesis.

Kraj 2.0
Gunny

Post by Kraj 2.0 »

Bulgarians shake their head up and down for NO, left and right for YES.

Be careful how you nod if the dude shows up in a rage at work asking you if you slept with his wife.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill »

Bob Wildes wrote:What else is Bulgaria known for? ](*,)
Tomatos.