Sales and management resources

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Sales and management resources

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

For any of you guys that are in sales or management, do you have any books or online resources for education?

If I'm going to ever have a real career in the cycling industry I'm going to have to move up into management. Even being the service department manager isn't going to cut it long term. To do this I need to get better at sales and learn management techniques.

The sales training I have access to is all specific to the products we sell. Training from the vendors on product specs/selling points and the like. I need learn more effective general sales techniques.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Sales and management resources

Post by TomFurman »

Check with Batboy
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:If I'm going to ever have a real career in the cycling industry I'm going to have to move up into management. Even being the service department manager isn't going to cut it long term. To do this I need to get better at sales and learn management techniques.
What does a successful career in the cycling industry consist of? Are you talking about running a bike shop, being a manufacturer's rep, training/coaching clients?

Business to consumer (B2C) sales is very different from B2B (business to business) sales. It helps to start with the end in mind.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Zig Ziglar, Brian Tracy, and Tom Hopkins. Hard to go wrong with these in terms of developing the communication skills and "presence" necessary for successful personal selling.

For climbing through the ranks...leadership is where it's at. Leaders get more responsibilities, get promotions and get to fuck the prom queen...followers get the leavings.

World's simplest leadership model that will guide you to shepherding of the common flock, and attainment of Master of the Universe status:

1. Set clear goals and expectations for your people.
2. Give your people the tools they need to do their job.
3. Provide feedback so that they know how they are doing.
4. Take time to coach and mentor your people for ever increasing results (and to replace you...easier for you to get promoted if your higher ups believe you have succession in place).
5. Hold them accountable for results, and teach them that they are responsible for their own success (hard for most people to do to others, and the reason they never become leaders and rise among the flock...takes balls).

Number 1 and number 3 in the above list comprise the "Pentagon Model". Evidently, they spent millions of our tax dollars studying leadership, and found that success always exists where 1 and 3 are happening. Failure always occurs where 1 and 3 are not happening. I know...DUH...but, simple models are best.

Dux
Sgt. Major

Post by Dux »

TomFurman wrote:Check with Batboy
"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt "

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:Zig Ziglar, Brian Tracy, and Tom Hopkins. Hard to go wrong with these in terms of developing the communication skills and "presence" necessary for successful personal selling.

For climbing through the ranks...leadership is where it's at. Leaders get more responsibilities, get promotions and get to fuck the prom queen...followers get the leavings.

World's simplest leadership model that will guide you to shepherding of the common flock, and attainment of Master of the Universe status:

4. Take time to coach and mentor your people for ever increasing results (and to replace you...easier for you to get promoted if your higher ups believe you have succession in place).
5. Hold them accountable for results, and teach them that they are responsible for their own success (hard for most people to do to others, and the reason they never become leaders and rise among the flock...takes balls).

Number 1 and number 3 in the above list comprise the "Pentagon Model". Evidently, they spent millions of our tax dollars studying leadership, and found that success always exists where 1 and 3 are happening. Failure always occurs where 1 and 3 are not happening. I know...DUH...but, simple models are best.
Are you even employed?
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:Zig Ziglar, Brian Tracy
+1. Throw in some Napolean Lie-Hill too.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

protobuilder wrote:
Kazuya Mishima wrote:Zig Ziglar, Brian Tracy, and Tom Hopkins. Hard to go wrong with these in terms of developing the communication skills and "presence" necessary for successful personal selling.

Are you even employed?
I own a blueberry farm.

Topic author
Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Thanks Tom, I'll definitely give batboy a holler.
Grandpa's Spells wrote: What does a successful career in the cycling industry consist of? Are you talking about running a bike shop, being a manufacturer's rep, training/coaching clients?

Business to consumer (B2C) sales is very different from B2B (business to business) sales. It helps to start with the end in mind.
From my experience there are 2 ways to make a decent career in cycling. First is to manage a shop. This usually entails selling, managing the other sales staff, and inventory. Everyone I've known that makes real money has moved into B2B sales as a rep. But the traveling involved in being a regional sales rep covering a territory is a no-go. So I need to concentrate on either working my way to up full fledged manager for a retail shop or working on site for a manufacturer.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

What happened with engineering?

Topic author
Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Mickey O'neil wrote:What happened with engineering?
It's been so long since I've been involved in the industry that I'm not sure I could ever get another job in the field.

I'd have to go back to school to even begin to pick that career back up.

Yes I Have Balls

Post by Yes I Have Balls »

protobuilder wrote:

Are you even employed?
More than not, likely. But, he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:If I'm going to ever have a real career in the cycling industry I'm going to have to move up into management. Even being the service department manager isn't going to cut it long term. To do this I need to get better at sales and learn management techniques.
What does a successful career in the cycling industry consist of? Are you talking about running a bike shop, being a manufacturer's rep, training/coaching clients?

Neuman,

Feel free to PM me and we'll talk, or PM each other, about this. Troy is correct, B2B is much differnt than B2C. Not to mention, there are a lot of positions that are called "sales" that should instead be called public relations.

Either way, in 30 minutes or so I can point you towards some resources that are "universal" that can get you on the way.

BB
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Topic author
Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Thanks man. I'll definitely be sending you a PM with some specific areas I'm looking to improve.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

What kind of knife should I carry?
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman »

BTW.. as corny as Tom Hopkins seems... I learned LOADS listening to him in my brief health club sales career. He's solid, basic and reassuring.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

The Nightman

Post by The Nightman »

I'd replace the word management with leadership.

Why can't you open your own shop?