Anybody here a Windows 8 Guru?

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Bob Wildes

Anybody here a Windows 8 Guru?

Post by Bob Wildes »

My home computer, bought in 1994, bit the dust last Friday. I've never had internet service at
home and probably never will.

Playing simple games like solitaire, hearts etc. is the main reason I use a home computer. It helps
me get ready for a run or a work out.

Windows 8 does not have pre loaded games. Anyone know if there are DVDs with those simple games
that can be loaded on a Dell with Windows 8?
"Tell A.P. Hill he must come up."

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: Anybody here a Windows 8 Guru?

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Do you have a mobile device at home that has Internet access on it? You can download these games for Windows 8, but I doubt a DVD will be available.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Holy Cow

Post by Holy Cow »

Windows 8 fucking blows. They also got rid of the only thing I liked about Windows 7: Chess Titans.

Topic author
Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

ImUndaYourBed wrote:Windows 8 fucking blows. They also got rid of the only thing I liked about Windows 7: Chess Titans.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That chess game is great on 7.

Topic author
Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:Do you have a mobile device at home that has Internet access on it? You can download these games for Windows 8, but I doubt a DVD will be available.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
No I don't.

I think what you are saying is right. I was hoping against hope.

I can't be the only person that doesn't want to be on the internet 24/7. There must be a market for
us geezers that still work and aren't around their house enough to warrant $40-$60 a month for
satellite internet service.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Assuming you have a PC at work, since you're posting now. If not, let me know.

You can download the installation files onto a flash drive at work, then bring it home and install.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Topic author
Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:Assuming you have a PC at work, since you're posting now. If not, let me know.

You can download the installation files onto a flash drive at work, then bring it home and install.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Window 7 at work. Will that screw up the transfer to the windows 8 computer at home?

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape »

Bob Wildes wrote:
Grandpa's Spells wrote:Assuming you have a PC at work, since you're posting now. If not, let me know.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Window 7 at work. Will that screw up the transfer to the windows 8 computer at home?
No. Just downloading a file is (usually) OS agnostic. Download the file that corresponds to the OS you have on your home computer, pop it on a flash drive or CD, and take it home. It'll be fine.

Topic author
Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

Jon wrote:
Bob Wildes wrote:

No. Just downloading a file is (usually) OS agnostic. Download the file that corresponds to the OS you have on your home computer, pop it on a flash drive or CD, and take it home. It'll be fine.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay. Good to know.

I have it on a stick, flash drive, and will see if it works tonight or tomorrow morning.

:finga: Thanks for all the tips Jon, I'mUndaYourBed and Grandpa's Spells.

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

I've had this idea for a while, but never acted on it, and probably never will. Here it is, free for taking. I renounce my rights to it.

The Windows 95 Again app.

I loved Windows 95. We had our old compaq in my wife's classroon until a couple of years ago. Had Civ 2 on it. Pinball. Word. Excel.

Can't there be a nice little app that you click and BAM....everything is back to 95? When you click on the internet button, a little dial up sound sounds.

And Mr. Bob, not sure if this would work, but I seem to remember my grandpa had stack of things. Not sure what they were, but it seemed like he was able to play some of those computer games like solitaire with them.

Might be worth checking out.
(just joking around!)

Topic author
Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

The computer has ruined me for card solitaire.

My old computer had Windows 95 on it. I agree that there has never been a smoother
Windows since then. Every one after that crashes the computer way more than 95 ever
did.

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx »

I am an MCITP (among other certs). If you have not bought a Windows 8 machine yet, do not buy one.

ccrow
Gunny

Post by ccrow »

Windows8 is probably the biggest blunder yet from Microsoft. I try to skip every other OS from Microsoft, it's best to try to skip Win8. If you can't avoid it, try start8 menu from stardock.com - for $5 that will make it usable.
But when I stand in front of the mirror and really look, I wonder: What the fuck happened here? Jesus Christ. What a beating!

Topic author
Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

tonkadtx wrote:I am an MCITP (among other certs). If you have not bought a Windows 8 machine yet, do not buy one.
-------------------------------------------
Too late.

Topic author
Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

ccrow wrote:Windows8 is probably the biggest blunder yet from Microsoft. I try to skip every other OS from Microsoft, it's best to try to skip Win8. If you can't avoid it, try start8 menu from stardock.com - for $5 that will make it usable.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can I download that onto my work computer ( windows 7 ultimate ) then to a flash drive and take
that flash drive and load the program onto the home computer ( windows 8 ) with no internet service?

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx »

The reason that Win 8 is shit is that both the OS and the Tablet OS are made for touch screens. They did not factor (or did not care) that touchscreen laptops were far too expensive for most people at the time of its release. They have come down some, but...

If you get the start8 menu that was mentioned, that will make a world of difference.

The reason games weren't included is they are trying to push/sell them as "apps". I would see what is available for free at the WIN 8 App Store.

Topic author
Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

I thought the same thing about the games not being pre-loaded tonkadtx.

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx »

I just browsed the store quickly and there are definitely some games to be had for free. I saw Spades for free, etc.

Topic author
Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

The problem is I will not have internet access on the home computer. The one with Windows 8.

I don't mind paying for apps. I do mind paying for internet access at $40-$60 a more a month for
something I have 5-6 days a week at work.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

I was part of the design and development team for microsoft on Win8

how can I hlep?
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Topic author
Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

Proto

You can bullshit the bullshitter, but you can't snow the snowman.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves »

Bob Wildes wrote:My home computer, bought in 1994, bit the dust last Friday. I've never had internet service at
home and probably never will.

Playing simple games like solitaire, hearts etc. is the main reason I use a home computer. It helps
me get ready for a run or a work out.

Windows 8 does not have pre loaded games. Anyone know if there are DVDs with those simple games
that can be loaded on a Dell with Windows 8?
What you need to do is go to the Dell or ASUS or HP Business side and by a computer from that side of the company. You can still get Windows 7 pre-loaded that way.

Or go to a site like DiscountPC.net - lots of refurbished/recycled machines from old business fleets, many of them running Windows 7.

I just took a "first look for professionals" class for W8 - don't care for the interface, but you can get around it in about 10 seconds with a 3rd party app, and the OS under the hood has significant improvements.

The interface is definitely half-baked/half-assed, though.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

j-cubed
Gunny

Post by j-cubed »

There is a crap load of free card games on the Win 8 app store.

I'd Hit It
Sarge

Post by I'd Hit It »

If you are stuck in the hellhole that is Windows 8, do yourself a favor and install Classic Shell. Free and gives you back the Start Menu and the normal Windows feel. You can even roll back to make things look earlier than Windows 7. I've been using it for a half-year and it is a godsend.