Practice? You talkin about Practice?!

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Master_Blaster
Staff Sergeant

Practice? You talkin about Practice?!

Post by Master_Blaster »

Lebron called this clown the one of the greatest?

Dafuq out of here with that...

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/99035 ... er-day-die
Those Shoreline idiots read IGX like the Satanic Bible

-Shaf

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Practice? You talkin about Practice?!

Post by baffled »

As far as a scorer goes, he should be remembered as one of the greatest. He was phenomenal to watch, and when I was still tall enough to play basketball, everyone had Iverson's as their shoe of choice.

If he wasn't such a head case, he would get more love. Instead, he's fodder for legendary Kaz postings.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Topic author
Master_Blaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Master_Blaster »

baffled wrote:As far as a scorer goes, he should be remembered as one of the greatest. He was phenomenal to watch, and when I was still tall enough to play basketball, everyone had Iverson's as their shoe of choice.

If he wasn't such a head case, he would get more love. Instead, he's fodder for legendary Kaz postings.

I'll give you scorer but his work ethic was garbage. He wanted to do everything EXCEPT a phenomenal ball player.

-Shaf

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Master_Blaster wrote:
baffled wrote:As far as a scorer goes, he should be remembered as one of the greatest. He was phenomenal to watch, and when I was still tall enough to play basketball, everyone had Iverson's as their shoe of choice.

I'll give you scorer but his work ethic was garbage. He wanted to do everything EXCEPT a phenomenal ball player.
Um, he was a phenomenal ball player.

The Hall of Fame has plenty of players who were only good on one end of the court. Exhibit a: Rick Barry.

He was a dick, but he was electric and really did put up legendary numbers for over a decade. Probably still is a dick, fwiw.

I'm talking about Iverson, not Barry. I was at Chris Mullin's number retirement a couple years ago when the fans booed Lacob to the point it ruined the ceremony. Barry got up and thought he would get the crowd to settle down... and that didn't go well.
- Buck Brannaman

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape »

work ethic...I'm sure there were plenty of bench warmers with great work ethic who were standing around dicks in hand while Iverson won scoring titles and landed shoe deals.

Topic author
Master_Blaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Master_Blaster »

Sorry man no sale. I HATE Lebron and I can barely mention Kobe but I would give those two Phenomenal status before I even think about Iverson.

Magic > Jordan > Kobe > Lebron. I'll take it.

Magic > Jordan > Iverson? Not so much.

Sorry B. He'll be remembered more for being shit ass- broke wannabe thug before he gets remembered as a "Great".

-Shaf

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

You rang?

Allen Iverson was the Roy Jones Jr. of professional basketball...90% talent, 10% effort, and 100% nigger.

Topic author
Master_Blaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Master_Blaster »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:

You rang?

Allen Iverson was the Roy Jones Jr. of professional basketball...90% talent, 10% effort, and 100% nigger.

Thank you. =D> =D> =D>

-Shaf

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

He was a great scorer. Legendary, some might say. But he's not leaving the legacy he should because he was a dick. That's a shame, but I don't really care because I rarely feel sympathy of people who make millions of dollars a year to play a game.

And it's not Magic -> Jordan -> Kobe/Lebron.

It's Jordan -> then someone else. Could be Magic, Kobe, Lebron, Russell...
- Buck Brannaman

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:

You rang?

=D> =D> =D>

This was obvious Kaznip.

But RJJ... yeah, he got by without ever learning the fundamentals of boxing. Fuck me if he couldn't have been another Ray Robinson if he hadn't been so reliant on athleticism.
- Buck Brannaman

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Perhaps one thing that gets overlooked about Iverson is he's maybe 6' and 165-170 at best. Now Jordan was the world's fucking best at getting away with carrying so Iverson wasn't close to being as bad and that fucking fake crossover of Iverson's would make me fall over just sitting on the couch watching.

Similar to conversations about boxing in which none of us will agree, I think Kobe's been one of the best to play the game and other than that bullshit deal he got hit with in Colorado, a solid dude. No slack no quit ever. Good write up on him in last weeks Sports Illustrated.

Topic author
Master_Blaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Master_Blaster »

baffled wrote:
It's Jordan -> then someone else. Could be Magic, Kobe, Lebron, Russell...
I agree totally I was just using that as a measuring stick per se

-Shaf

Topic author
Master_Blaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Master_Blaster »

Shapecharge wrote:I think Kobe's been one of the best to play the game and other than that bullshit deal he got hit with in Colorado, a solid dude. No slack no quit ever. Good write up on him in last weeks Sports Illustrated.

Agree. Can't stand the mothefucker but he can play his ass off.

-Shaf

Topic author
Master_Blaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Master_Blaster »

baffled wrote:
Kazuya Mishima wrote:

You rang?

=D> =D> =D>

This was obvious Kaznip.

But RJJ... yeah, he got by without ever learning the fundamentals of boxing. Fuck me if he couldn't have been another Ray Robinson if he hadn't been so reliant on athleticism.

Good fucking call.

-Shaf

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Dammit. Now I'm going to post a bunch of boxing threads, get all neurotic and pissy and have to scream at bd for his dislike of Ali.

AND I'll have to put down Tyson to make a point.

Kaz knew what he was doing there.
- Buck Brannaman

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

Shapecharge wrote:Perhaps one thing that gets overlooked about Iverson is he's maybe 6' and 165-170 at best.
good call shape. undersized guy in the land of giants, played brilliantly most of the minutes every night.

imagine that bunch of middle-aged white guys aren't down with a.i.'s style. what a predictable bunch of honky fuddy duddies.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Shapecharge wrote:Perhaps one thing that gets overlooked about Iverson is he's maybe 6' and 165-170 at best. Now Jordan was the world's fucking best at getting away with carrying so Iverson wasn't close to being as bad and that fucking fake crossover of Iverson's would make me fall over just sitting on the couch watching.

Similar to conversations about boxing in which none of us will agree, I think Kobe's been one of the best to play the game and other than that bullshit deal he got hit with in Colorado, a solid dude. No slack no quit ever. Good write up on him in last weeks Sports Illustrated.
I saw Iverson play in person and he was probably 5'10" and 160 and quick as fuck. It was an exhibition game against the Bulls when Jordan played with them and of course Jordan was Jordan. He did miss a dunk on a fast break on the basket I was sitting under.

Iverson was a hood but he is one of the greatest scorers ever. No doubt.

Jordan>Kobe>Lebron (for now) and then whoever. I don't understand how everyone is sleeping on Kobe now. That dude was insane and has the killer instinct that Jordan had that Lebron doesn't have.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

I can't stand the coonery and shitheelery that is epidemic in the ball sports and MMA..and boxing...and...

But for some reason, in my mind, Iverson gets the Nick Diaz waive through. Too easy to think of them as under-performing for their talent level until you realize, they are total head cases and it's amazing they are in the game at all.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Predictable honky fuddy duddies are the backbone of this country.

And when did scrawny, ink necked, niggery become "style"?

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

I've had the good fortune to see a lot of great players play in person.

In order of the most incredible to watch:

Jordan. Completely in charge the whole time he was on the court.

Kobe. Ditto, but more outwardly temperamental.

Young Vince Carter. The dude could fly.

AI. Nuts. Tough as hell and found ways to score that didn't make sense.

Derrick Rose. Saw him his rookie year and he's the only athlete besides Barry Sanders and a handful of rugby and soccer players I've seen side step at full speed and remain stable.

Lebron. The court shrinks when he's on rolling, but he's had a tendency to disappear and get quiet at times. That can't happen when you're the current best player on the planet.
- Buck Brannaman

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

baffled wrote:I've had the good fortune to see a lot of great players play in person.

In order of the most incredible to watch:

Jordan. Completely in charge the whole time he was on the court.

Kobe. Ditto, but more outwardly temperamental.

Young Vince Carter. The dude could fly.

AI. Nuts. Tough as hell and found ways to score that didn't make sense.

Derrick Rose. Saw him his rookie year and he's the only athlete besides Barry Sanders and a handful of rugby and soccer players I've seen side step at full speed and remain stable.

Lebron. The court shrinks when he's on rolling, but he's had a tendency to disappear and get quiet at times. That can't happen when you're the current best player on the planet.
Can't argue with any of this. I would love to see Derrick Rose in person. He seems like a hell of an athlete. I hope he is back in full this year.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Master_Blaster wrote:Lebron called this clown the one of the greatest?

Dafuq out of here with that...
I thought that he had already retired.

Being a punk in one arena doesn't mean that you can't be great in another. Let's see, according to criteria in this thread, would the GOAT be come down to Stockton or KJ, with the former winning because KJ is black.

Rookie of the Year, 11 All-Star games, a pair of All-Star MVP awards, four times leading the league in scoring, league MVP and one of the most prolific scorers of all time...yeah, he's one of the greatest.

I remember seeing AI in college and being amazed but doubting that he would hold up (physically) in the NBA because of the style of game he played. It probably will be reported that booze and gambling took him down but it is hard to remember another guy who went that hard and took that many shots at his size game after game after game. D-Rose plays that way now but he is physically larger and has a far stronger supporting cast.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Terry B. wrote:it is hard to remember another guy who went that hard and took that many shots at his size game after game after game.
AI was a tough motherfucker. He got the shit kicked out of him every game, and kept scoring.

Remember he (& Larry Brown) took the Sixers to the Finals one year, like 2000 or 2001. It seems funny to say, given that they lost in 5 games, but I will always believe that if Eric Snow had stood in and taken the charge against Shack in the second Q of game 2, the Sixers would have won that series. Funny, the things you wind up remembering from sports.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

baffled wrote:Dammit. Now I'm going to post a bunch of boxing threads, get all neurotic and pissy and have to scream at bd for his dislike of Ali.

AND I'll have to put down Tyson to make a point.

Kaz knew what he was doing there.

Please do! I have not had any interest in Basketball since the mid 90s other than I was happy to see my boy on the court with some friends the other day.

I loved the shit as a kid, back when Larry Bird was still around and Jorden was young.

I even had the first pair of his shoes that Nike put out.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy