News Sources

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
D66

News Sources

Post by D66 »

What's the best sites/blogs for real news (what the mainstream news doesn't say, but should)?

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Re: News Sources

Post by buckethead »

D66 wrote:What's the best sites/blogs for real news (what the mainstream news doesn't say, but should)?
I'd definitely go here.

Topic author
D66

Post by D66 »

Good choice! =D> Ok....other than here! :-k

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman »

Just use Google News. You can adjust your feed any way you like.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape »

Infowars and Mercola

The Crawdaddy

Post by The Crawdaddy »

I like The Week (http://theweek.com/). Good extraction of both sides of the major stories (you know, so you can make up your own mind), and a condensation of the silly BS you see if you go to the regular media outlets. We get the hard copy. Makes good shit can reading.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:90% of the people lifting in gyms are doing it on "feel" and what they really "feel" like is being a lazy fuck.
"A good man always knows his limitations..." -- "Dirty" Harry Callahan

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Ignore it all. If it's important enough someone will tell you.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Bud Charniga's gaping asshole wrote:Infowars and Mercola
=D> =D> =D>

Alex Jones seems to be getting even nuttier.

I like the site that broke the story that led to Pain and Gain. Miami New Times. Their reporting is, at the least, pretty interesting.

Otherwise, i just surf a handful of different sources across the political spectrum. I rarely go to the more frequently mentioned mainstream media sites.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Mickey O'neil wrote:Ignore it all. If it's important enough someone will tell you.
I started this. You don't stop hearing news. You just get the news that makes everybody crazy.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

I think it's important to regularly read sources who don't conform to your biases.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

WildGorillaMan wrote:I think it's important to regularly read sources who don't conform to your biases.
Troof

Realclearpolitics.com does a good job of posting diverging opinions. It's fun just to read the editorial titles. Plus, they do some nice links to deep dives on energy, economics, etc.

I use the google news feed, and will randomly get a news feed to things that are off the main line of attention. It's amazing how much stuff pops up about Volcanos in the inter-sphere.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Topic author
D66

Post by D66 »

Here are a few that I found:

http://www.globalresearch.ca/?context=home

http://www.federalobserver.com/

I saw a video from Infowars, about a goverment document from 1961...they were 'reporting' that it was proof of an early effort to disarm us, of our handguns & rifles. They showed a copy of the first page, so I searched or it, and finally found it. It was about nuclear weapons, and how the UN would be involved in the disarming process...no where did I see anything about small arms/private citizens.

Fucking idiots!

I do believe that the goverment is nervous about us being so heavily armed...but oh well.

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

The Economist is pretty good. They still actually send reporters out to the field. Good book reviews and columns. A little to the right, but not Fox news type right.

http://www.economist.com/digital/apps

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

seeahill wrote:The Economist is pretty good. They still actually send reporters out to the field. Good book reviews and columns. A little to the right, but not Fox news type right.

+1.

Pretty balanced.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

D66 wrote:What's the best sites/blogs for real news (what the mainstream news doesn't say, but should)?
For international news (probably in this order):
Al Jazeera
Der Speigel
http://www.private-eye.co.uk/
BBC

Financial Times is pretty good too, but you only get a few free articles a month.

For TV news, Primer Impacto-- turn the sound off and enjoy if you don't habla.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
seeahill wrote:The Economist is pretty good. They still actually send reporters out to the field. Good book reviews and columns. A little to the right, but not Fox news type right.

+1.

Pretty balanced.
+1 again.

Nobody has been entirely balanced since deregulation. Networks aren't aiming for 33% of the entire market, they need 5% and viewership/readership in key demographics and cater to that target audience, which is understandable.

Set up an RSS feed on a variety of topics and read the various sources that show up in it instead of reading everything from a particular source.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Master_Blaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Master_Blaster »

BBC is usually legit.
Those Shoreline idiots read IGX like the Satanic Bible

-Shaf

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

BBC was once the premier news source in the western world, but it's got a significant leftist bent to it these days, IMO. It's no msnbc, but it's there.

It's still in my rotation though.

Forgot to mention the economist, so I guess that makes it +3 or so.

I like the guardian as well.

And if you pay attention to tech and want a solid breakdown of what's going on, stratechery is awesome. It's a blog, run by a guy who works for automattic now, but he distills tech news as well as anyone.

On the tech, Mac etc front, it's stratechery, daring fireball and that's pretty much it. Used to be 52 tiger, but that blog is no longer active.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Master_Blaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Master_Blaster »

My personal Favorite...

Those Shoreline idiots read IGX like the Satanic Bible

-Shaf

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

http://www.refdesk.com has a wide and very convenient section on a variety of new sources about 2/3's of the way down the page. When something's going on in the world or a specific city, it's easy to find a local news source. Or, you can find an opposing news source.

I frequently bounce back and forth between Al Jazeera and the Jerusalem Post.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki »

Drudge for the convenience, variety and the snarky headlines and a BBC RSS news feed.

As long as you understand the bent, you can mentally filter appropriately. BBC adds a foreign perspective as well.

Only time I watch a cable news network is for major stories. Boston bombing was probably the last time I watched CNNFox.
"The reason that 'guru' is such a popular word is because 'charlatan' is so hard to spell."
@GSElevator: Can we please stop calling them hipsters and go back to calling them pussies?
Blood eagles solve everything.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Because I never watch news channels, on the rare occasions that I am exposed to them (say, having breakfast in a hotel) it's that much more obvious what patent nonsense they are. I think if you watch it all the time you probably get desensitized to just how stupid it all is.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

+1
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki »

Forgot to mention I agree 100% with the simian from the North about reading things you disagree with.

And this builds on Mick and Spells' comments about ignoring most news.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/10/ ... tion-diet/
"The reason that 'guru' is such a popular word is because 'charlatan' is so hard to spell."
@GSElevator: Can we please stop calling them hipsters and go back to calling them pussies?
Blood eagles solve everything.

Andy83
Sgt. Major

Post by Andy83 »

Just watch Fox News on TV 24/7. Always perfectly fair and balanced! And they have way better/hot women talking heads than any other network or blog liar anywhere.
Don't rely on your reading skills. All of you are illiterate. That's a fact.
Obama's narcissism and arrogance is only superseded by his naivete and stupidity.