Heart

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Heart

Post by Batboy2/75 »

My son is a sophomore and on his HS varsity swim team. Swimming is an individual and a team sport, so you see some interesting things. For example, it allows for a lot of leeway for participation that you would not see in team sports. On the JV team there a couple of swimmers that I will kindly state are "not strong swimmers". It takes a lot of balls to be the lowest guy on the JV squad and to come in dead last in every single heat. The only reason these guys are on the team is because I assume the HS and district are afraid of a lawsuit. I'm talking about those guys.

There is one pathetic freshman in particular. This kid can't weigh more than 80 lbs. He looks like a short younger version of the weakling in the Charles Atlas ads. He's so small and scrawny, that he looks like he's 10 years old with TB. I asked my son if the kid was some sort of brainiac that skipped middle school or if he had some sort of physical ailment. My son says the kid is just small. That the kid is in normal classes and doesn't appear to have any real ailment; other than being very un-athletic. My son, having been raised right, thought it would rude to inquire more.

Anyways, I've been to about five home swim meets so far and this kid has swam in every single match; JV 50 meter and some of the JV relays. He's the slowest guy on the JV reject squad. Watching him dive in to the pool is painful. The combination of abject fear and lack of athleticism is painful to watch. A combination of a belly flop and desperate grapping for something to break his fall is his signature dive. Then the real pain begins. The slow awkward free style stoke with his legs kicking like a drowning man. About 15 meters in, he starts to tire and when he goes to take a breath he almost has to tread water to do it. Trust me, it's painful to watch. He's dead last in every race. As this kid is making the half way turn, the other swimmers have been out of the pool for a while. Same goes for the relays. If he's in a relay, that relay team is going to have a combined time that is twice that of the next slowest team.

Yet, the pathetic swimmer shows up to every practice. My son's team had practice and two swim meets during this last winter break. Half the team didn't make it to practice or the meets. Caused by either family commitments or teenage laziness. Not the pathetic swimmer; he was at each practice and every meet. He arrives early and leaves late. Always completing his assigned workout. And when practice is over, he's back in the pool doing more laps.

Every time he swims in a meet, people cheer him on. The applause if deafening when he finally finishes. Does he ham in up? Does he smile? Does he look ashamed or shy? No, he stoically gets out of the pool and heads straight over to his coach.

Now, I have seen a lot of courageous bad ass stuff in my life, but this kid has the heart of LION. A lot of guys talk about having heart. Mostly they talk about heart in the context of gutting it out for the win or coming back to win in some way after a crushing defeat etc. They very rarely mean gutting it out when you have absolutely no chance of winning and losing so bad it looks pathetic.

Chances are this kid will never overcome his lack of athleticism. I seriously doubt there will be stories about how the 80 lbs weakling grew up, joined military and becoming a SpecOps bad ass. And yet, I bet you this kid will go on and he'll be fighter in life. He may always get his teeth kicked in, but someone or something will have to kill him to make him quit.

I'm a pretty cynical guy, but it did me some good to see that kid.
Last edited by Batboy2/75 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:30 am, edited 6 times in total.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Re: Heart

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

=D>
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

dusty in here.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

Yep. I was a swimmer myself. Won the State. (oh, did I tell you that before?) Scholarship to the University of Wisconsin. And there was a guy, not very good, who came from a neighboring school in high school. Dropped out of of UW swimming. But now, at 69, he's competing in the masters. Guy just got an All American. I mean, he's one of the best breast strokers in the world for his age.

So, it happens. perseverance.

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

seeahill wrote:Yep. I was a swimmer myself. Won the State. (oh, did you that before?) Scholarship to the University of Wisconsin. And there was a guy, not very good, who came from a neighboring school in high school. Dropped out of of UW swimming. But now, at 69, he's competing in the masters. Guy just got an All American. I mean, he's one of the best breast strokers in the world for his age.

So, it happens. perseverance.
Not even a close comparison. This kid is not going to swim in college. Ever! My daughter swims in the kids program. The entire youth program could kick his ass. Barring him being recruited into a Captain America type super soldier program, this kid isn't going to a star in anything athletic.

That is what makes this kids grit and testicular fortitude so fucking awesome. I don't know many adults, let alone a teenager, that would subject themselves to the level of public fail.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

OK. I respect this kid. But you never know with someone who has that testicular fortitude.

You say he is a freshman? Maybe he has a growth spurt coming. If not, work ethic will make him a success whatever he does.

Anyway, that's a great story. I'm wishing the kid the best.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

=D>

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Both my kids swim. I was never so happy than when he came home from a team building event and told my wife he was done with football and was going to swim. The atmosphere you describe is why I love it so much.

That kid is awesome.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

I hope it gets him laid
Don’t believe everything you think.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

Bats, that's the most meaningful post I've read in a long time. Thank you for writing it.

Five clappys-

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Reminds me of a quote I've stored away somewhere, along the lines of while some are smarter, taller, faster, etc. than others, we all are equal in our capacity for courage.

DPR

Post by DPR »

Great story. Kids can learn a lot of life lessons through sports. I was one of the worst runners on my track and cross country teams, but the coach was always positive with feedback. I can still run 3 miles under 20 minutes for the PFT even though I'll be 40 this year. Our coach could have had us do a lot more mileage, but he wanted to make sure we continued running long after high school was over. A good coach will balance the need of winning with the needs of the athletes.

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki »

Respect.
"The reason that 'guru' is such a popular word is because 'charlatan' is so hard to spell."
@GSElevator: Can we please stop calling them hipsters and go back to calling them pussies?
Blood eagles solve everything.

Thatcher II

Post by Thatcher II »

Bats, that's a great bit of writing, a great observation and a lovely sentiment. This and the insane flame wars is why I come to IGx. (Or is it now "IG-ex" after our liberal poll and hippy handwringing??)
It's great to be first at last

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

I echo the kudos to the young "Mac" (from Charles Atlas ads,) a/k/a, for our purposes here, "Steve Rogers." Besides the sense of awe one can experience when witnessing something extraordinary, from a more mundane practical view, it would be amazing to know HOW he acquired his GRIT.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Sounds like a kid who doesn't know enough to know when to call it quits.

Bad parenting. False hope. Medals for everyone.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 »

It sounds like when they were passing out talents this kid got
Size - small
Athletic Ability - just enough to not drown
Guts - a bunch

Good on him.

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 »

Great story Bats. Sounds a little like a young Audie Murphy.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

We should buy him a hooker

emac437
Sarge

Post by emac437 »

Great post. This did me some good. One of those lessons I hope I can pass on to my boys.

Kids got sand.

Thanks.

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud »

Or maybe the kid simply has a domineering parent that makes him do it to compensate for their own sick failings.

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

Thats a great story Bats
but:
Hows your son doing?
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

tough old man wrote:Thats a great story Bats
but:
Hows your son doing?
This is his first year going out for swim and he just made the cut for most of his varsity events. He's digging it and it's becoming a passion of his. He's been a pretty avid football player (defensive back), but I have an idea that swim is going to be his focus. He's already planning on his training for the off season.

When he's done with swim he's going back to BJJ or maybe a striking art.

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

Sounds like you got a good kid there.
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

Is he a white kid?