Superhuman powers of self control

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Superhuman powers of self control

Post by nafod »

My lovely and beloved wife, who god bless her through these tough times has plumped up maybe a wee bit, was at the bike shop with me to pick up my new steed, and told me she wants a bike with a carbon frame in order to save maybe a LB or two. Hers is too heavy now.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Re: Superhuman powers of self control

Post by nafod »

Which ranks right up there with maintaining eye contact with her while having a beer at a Hooters.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Yeah, very common

Dirt McGirt
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dirt McGirt »

You have achieved "Zen Master, 2nd Class."

I couldn't have done it. A while back I was telling my wife (incredulously) about a 40 year-old friend of mine who says his goal is to get down to 117 pounds, and when she says "*I* haven't even weighed 117 since..." just the split second before she said "...our wedding." my brain went and spat out "ever?"

Women. They're so touchy...

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

Shit. I just tell mine that if she gets fat and out of shape I am trading her in.

In all seriousness, I work too damn hard to stay in shape so we can have a fun and adventurous life on our off time to have her turn into a whale. Shapely and in healthy is fine, but if she decides to turn into a slob we will have a come to Jesus moment. I married for a partner in this life, not an anchor. That may sound harsh, but it's the truth. Having a baby and various health problems aside, I married her because we both enjoy being outside and DOING things. If she ever feels like that isn't the way she wants it, and she would rather have a house husband that just works and comes home to slob it away watching TV then it's time we realized that we want different things.

On the same line of thought, my wife recently had the same talk with me about my depression. I was working myself into a dark place and have been for years. She told me rather bluntly that I have a choice. I can slog it away working all the time and be miserable with money and no wife or I can quit my "part-time" (read full-time) job and start actually enjoying life with her again. It was the wake up I needed and I haven't been this clear of mind and happy in a long time.

This ability to be blunt and honest with each other has saved our relationship more than a time or two. I can't imagine having to tip toe around each other.

Sorry for the rant.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Dunn wrote:Shit. I just tell mine that if she gets fat and out of shape I am trading her in.

In all seriousness, I work too damn hard to stay in shape so we can have a fun and adventurous life on our off time to have her turn into a whale. Shapely and in healthy is fine, but if she decides to turn into a slob we will have a come to Jesus moment. I married for a partner in this life, not an anchor. That may sound harsh, but it's the truth. Having a baby and various health problems aside, I married her because we both enjoy being outside and DOING things. If she ever feels like that isn't the way she wants it, and she would rather have a house husband that just works and comes home to slob it away watching TV then it's time we realized that we want different things.

On the same line of thought, my wife recently had the same talk with me about my depression. I was working myself into a dark place and have been for years. She told me rather bluntly that I have a choice. I can slog it away working all the time and be miserable with money and no wife or I can quit my "part-time" (read full-time) job and start actually enjoying life with her again. It was the wake up I needed and I haven't been this clear of mind and happy in a long time.

This ability to be blunt and honest with each other has saved our relationship more than a time or two. I can't imagine having to tip toe around each other.

Sorry for the rant.
Marriage, Dunn right!

I envy you there.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Kirk
Gunny

Post by Kirk »

If nothing else my wife provides my kids with good examples of how not to do things... ;)

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Kirk wrote:If nothing else my wife provides my kids with good examples of how not to do things... ;)

I feel you there, man.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Holy Cow

Post by Holy Cow »

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

I feel y'all as well. What makes it even worse is that I am an Adonis and so damn good looking.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

So, those with fat wives....are you at least getting plenty of marital action?

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby »

Yes.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby »

Well,she isn`t fat,but could be a bit slimmer.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

i trust you trust you have let her know this.

perhaps offered exercise and dieting tips.

when delivered lovingly, advice like this is invariably well received.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

i trust you trust you have let her know this.

I am not stupid enough to do this...
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

Kirk
Gunny

Post by Kirk »

tough old man wrote:I am not stupid enough to do this...
What he said and "yes" to Shaf's question.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

dead man walking wrote:i trust you trust you have let her know this.

An article, comrade!
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Honestly, it'd be better to just say, "god damn you got fat. WTF?"

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

kids,

you can do this.

despite his screen name, nafod sounds intimidated. be a fucking man.

start by addressing she whom you adore with a pet nickname. i use "sugar britches." it demonstrates that i know she's sweet, stylishly attired and hot.

then you can then proceed indirectly or directly.

the indirect approach builds off a related activity, her having her hair done, say, or the purchase of an item of clothing. while warmly observing how attractive she now appears, you can do a quick riff on how great she'd look if she dropped a few. you could say: you did that for the last high school reunion (god-daughter's christening, daughter's wedding or what have you). you could do it again, sugar britches. you might suggest that the pair of you could diet together, you know, a joint activity.

the direct approach would involve your putting your arm around her and squeezing a roll of fat. again, warmly observe how attractive she is, while transitioning to the thought of how great she'd look if she dropped a few, as she did for the reunion (daughter's wedding, christening) etc.

in either case, you can expect a reaction. tears are possible. a response that begins "i can't believe you just . . . " might be forthcoming.

don't flinch. this is what you are looking for: cartharsis. salty tears and dripping snot clear out accumulated toxins and prepare the way for the diet to end all diets. perhaps a spell of anorexia, but face it, she'll be sneaking chocolate, so you need not worry.

i will acknowledge that if the lovely and beloved makes remarks about her having wasted years with you and your pathetic little dick, you could be in for a rough patch. that's a low probability, though, don't you think? and in any case, there's no way she's not going to lose a few.

man up, boys.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

That's the kind of knowledge you only get spinning around the sun for six or seven decades.

I bow to the master.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

I remember the moment I lost that war. It was an early autumn evening and we were having a cell phone conversation while I was standing near some statue that's at the southwest corner of Central Park. The details of the conversation are irrelevant but at that moment I knew I was defeated. Suffice to say that it was a war of attrition; there were hints, encouragement, confrontation, and schemes. My success was similar to what I would have experienced if I'd tried to persuade a brick wall to lose a few bricks.

If the unthinkable ever happens and I have to carry her unconscious body to safety she's a goner. Should have listened when she had the chance.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

Continual LOLs on this thread.

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

This thread makes me so happy to have a girlfriend.
Although, if she gained weight, there might be a chance she would end up having an ass.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

I tried this once. And I ended up being at the wrong end of a 'kata guruma'. So, no thanks, and fuck you very much.
You ever seen a cycling plumber who wrestles with small calves, forearms and neck? Didn't think so.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:So, those with fat wives....are you at least getting plenty of marital action?
My wife is bigger than she should be but I get all the pussy I can stand.

And my wife knows she's overweight so all I do is encourage her to do more regular cardio but she'd rather lift weights or do nothing at all.