Thanks and R.I.P. to Jeremiah Denton

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Cayenne

Thanks and R.I.P. to Jeremiah Denton

Post by Cayenne »

I had not heard of this Morse Code story until yesterday: (Footage of the "blinking interview" described below is readily available on YouTube. I was having difficulty posting the video here. Following is from NYTimes.com)

http://nyti.ms/1rLAqNb

The prisoner of war had been tortured for 10 months and beaten repeatedly by his North Vietnamese captors in recent days, and there were threats of more if he did not respond properly when the propaganda broadcast began. Haggard but gritty, Cmdr. Jeremiah A. Denton Jr. slumped in a chair before the television cameras.

Pretending to be blinded by the spotlights, he began blinking — seemingly random spasms and tics. He answered interrogators’ questions with a trace of defiance, knowing he would be beaten again and again, but hoping that America would detect his secret message in Morse code.

To a question about American “war atrocities,” the captured pilot said: “I don’t know what is happening in Vietnam because the only news sources I have are North Vietnamese. But whatever the position of my government is, I believe in it, I support it, and I will support it as long as I live.”

The North Vietnamese, who lost face, were even more outraged when they learned that Commander Denton, in the Japanese-taped interview broadcast on American television on May 17, 1966, had blinked out “T-O-R-T-U-R-E.” It was the first confirmation that American prisoners of war were being subjected to atrocities during the Vietnam War.

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Re: Thanks and R.I.P. to Jeremiah Denton

Post by DikTracy6000 »

RIP JD. I learned of his torture code on a tv movie probably 25 Years ago.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

RIP

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

RIP BAMF.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

A POW family lived about three doors down and a street over from me while growing near NAS Oceana. Big military family neighborhood. I remember their homecomings still.
Don’t believe everything you think.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

RIP
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

Yeah it was in the movie starring Hal Holbrook. Also in his book.

I heard a former POW give a talk to a bunch of vets at UGA in either '75 or '76. He mentioned
various tortures the North Vietnamese used on them. He explained the 5 by 5 code they used
to communicate to each other. First time I had ever heard of that.

Those men deserve loads of respect. :prayer:
"Tell A.P. Hill he must come up."