Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Harry's Razors

Post by Turdacious »

Bit the bullet and tried Harry's Razors-- I like it. I got the Truman set-- with a razor, three four-blade cartridges, and a tube of shaving cream. The set is $15, or $10 with the promo code '48days'. Shipping is free for orders over $10, and eight replacement cartridges only run $15.

Pros-- cost, razor is good quality, cartridges are on par with the more expensive stuff I usually buy, and shipping is fast.

Cons-- the shaving cream is not good.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Harry's Razors

Post by baffled »

I only use a Merkur, Astra double edged blades and I'm toying with different creams and soaps.

Cartridges, pfffftttt. You fucking peasant.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Schick Xtreme 3 is the razor I always fall back on. I get about 15-20 head and face shaves from one, more if I conscientiously dry and hone them on jeans. Made in Germany similar to the Harry's. I may try Harry's.

I started shaving with fucking safety razors. I don't think I"ll go back, especially with my shaving the head 3-4x weekly.

If you have a thick beard, the baking soda pre-treatment is golden for any razor.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Hey Shaf, with the razor honing on jeans, do you just run it across the pants in the same direction you shave or the reverse?

My broke ass likes the idea of getting more than 3-4 shaves out of a razor.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

DPR

Post by DPR »

I am using a Merkur safety razor with Feather razor blades. It takes longer to shave, but it's much cheaper and fun.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Reverse, like a strop/polish of the blade...opposite the shaving direction. Try 20-30x

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

I'd love something like this but I shave maybe 6 or 8 times a year.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

I hate shaving so fucking much. I do it only because I look like a fucking Taliban if I don't.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Fat Cat wrote:I hate shaving so fucking much. I do it only because I look like a fucking Taliban if I don't.
I shaved twice in one week about 4 weeks ago. My face hurt like fucker. I'll just look homeless.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Reverse, like a strop/polish of the blade...opposite the shaving direction. Try 20-30x
Thank you.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

OK. I picked up some Dorco 3 blade razors. I have to say that's the best razor in that price point I've used. Beats the shit out of my favorite Schick Xtreme 3, but doesn't conform to the skull as well, so it takes me a few more passes to finish shaving the melon.

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

http://www.razorpedia.com/blog/razor-pe ... e-rankings

The Truman and Winston use exactly the same blades, and probably have pretty much the same handle AFAIK (other than looks). Not sure why the different ratings.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Hanglow Joe
Gunny

Post by Hanglow Joe »

I received the Winston for Father's day. Good razor and shave. The cream is fine, if you're going to use that type of cream, go with the Bigelow shave cream, it's a ripoff of the Italian cream Porasso. it's awesome. $10 for a tube, will last 2-3 months if shaving everyday.

Honestly, before Harry's, my wife got me the disposable sensor 3 blades. Except for the fact they were cheap plastic, they did as good of a job as mach 3.

Changing blades after 10 shaves is like changing your motor oil every 3k miles. A complete myth.

lasalle

Post by lasalle »

BFly wrote:
Changing blades after 10 shaves is like changing your motor oil every 3k miles. A complete myth.
Sadly, not a myth. Perhaps you have flaxen and soft hair that could be cut with a butter knife? I use a Feather safety razor and get about 4 shaves before it becomes a jagged blood spiller.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

lasalle wrote:
BFly wrote:
Sadly, not a myth. Perhaps you have flaxen and soft hair that could be cut with a butter knife? I use a Feather safety razor and get about 4 shaves before it becomes a jagged blood spiller.
It's different with cartridges. I could get a lot of shaves out of a Mach3 blade. With a Feather it takes a pretty bad hit after about 3 shaves. Personnas from Israel I get a week, without the crazy first shave you get from the Feathers, which I find a little too sharp/fragile.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

lasalle

Post by lasalle »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
lasalle wrote:
BFly wrote:
It's different with cartridges. I could get a lot of shaves out of a Mach3 blade. With a Feather it takes a pretty bad hit after about 3 shaves. Personnas from Israel I get a week, without the crazy first shave you get from the Feathers, which I find a little too sharp/fragile.
Cool. Will give those Personnas a shot. What do you use for soap/lather? I use Proraso soap and a brush more out of habit than loyalty.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

I'll use Proraso with a brush on the weekends when I'm not trying to get out the door, but I'm not crazy about it. It works pretty well.

Kiehl's makes some really excellent no-brush-needed shave cream, even a no-water-needed version. I use the no-brush stuff on work days because it's faster.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Equine trimmers for head and beard.

"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

lasalle wrote:
Grandpa's Spells wrote:
lasalle wrote:
BFly wrote:
Cool. Will give those Personnas a shot. What do you use for soap/lather? I use Proraso soap and a brush more out of habit than loyalty.
Do you guys make your own huaraches too?

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

I have a brand new equine trimmer that the horse hates. Using a .99 trimmer made of plastic and a single edge lets me take off his whiskers with no issues.