Thoughts on Handguns?

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Boris

Thoughts on Handguns?

Post by Boris »

Maybe too many post-Apocalyptic books and movies, maybe mid-life crisis, maybe just looking to improve marksmanship and enjoy plinking around, but I'm contemplating purchasing a handgun. Probably would NOT carry it often if at all, but would like to leave that option open.

I've tried a few, revolver and semi-auto. I find Glocks a little bulk for my small, fat hands w. short fingers, but 1911s and Berettas generally fit better. I looked at a Springfield XDS and w. the extended grip/magazine, thought it felt perfect, but I don't know about the pull yet.

If you have a particular handgun that you like or would recommend, or thoughts on the above, I'd like to hear about it. Feel free to PM if you prefer.

Thanks everybody.

Chris McClinch
Sarge

Re: Thoughts on Handguns?

Post by Chris McClinch »

I've got two of the full-size Springfield XDs--the .45 and the 9mm. Can't recommend them highly enough. I find they point more naturally than the Glocks, and the trigger pull works well for my hand.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Go to a range where you can rent handguns, and shoot as many different ones as possible. Take your time; it may take a few visits to decide.

If it would be your first handgun, give extra consideration to getting a revolver - they are the least complicated, therefore the safest for a novice shooter. And while I'm talking safety, take an NRA safety class - I learned more gun safety in the NRA Basic class when I was 13 years old than I learned in 3 years in the Rangers.

If you plan to not carry it, then probably stay away from the ones designed for concealed carry. A heavier gun with longer barrel will be more fun to plink & target shoot. If you just want to have fun, get a .22 LR handgun.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Chris McClinch
Sarge

Post by Chris McClinch »

johno wrote:If you just want to have fun, get a .22 LR handgun.
Plan on getting one of these regardless, with the same rake as your defensive handgun. The fundamentals don't change, and .22 LR ammo is dirt-cheap. .45, .40, 9mm, 10mm, .38, and .357 are not.

Topic author
Boris

Post by Boris »

Thank you Chris. The feel of the Springfield XD is great.

Thank you Johno - I won't buy anything without firing one first if possible. Do you have suggestions for .22LR? I've given it a lot of thought and, as far as I'm concerned, if I shoot thousands of rounds w. a .22 and can hit anything within 10 yards at will, it's going to be more fun and deadly than any gun I hesitate to buy (and use) a lot of ammo for because of cost.

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

Small hands like me?
Browning Hi Power or a CZ variant.
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

Topic author
Boris

Post by Boris »

I'm sorry I didn't mention this - 600 would be at the top of my price range.

The Browning looks like 800ish?

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

CZ75
S&W M&P line
Springfield XD line

All four of the above are within your price range and small hand friendly.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

How about a handgun that'll make someone shit their pants?

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

Just picked up a Springfield 357 XD and love it. Smooth as silk.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:How about a handgun that'll make someone shit their pants?

edit: I like guns as much as the next liberal west coast fag, but it seems to me that when you've got a scope and a bipod on your handgun, you're missing th epoint

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Chris McClinch wrote:I've got two of the full-size Springfield XDs--the .45 and the 9mm. Can't recommend them highly enough. I find they point more naturally than the Glocks, and the trigger pull works well for my hand.
My friend's XD Tactical is better than my 1911. It shot real nice. I's the Glock made better.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Boris wrote:I've tried a few, revolver and semi-auto. I find Glocks a little bulk for my small, fat hands w. short fingers, but 1911s and Berettas generally fit better.
This was my experience as well, switching XD for Beretta. In case it's a hand size thing, I also really liked shooting 9mm Sigs, and Ruger revolvers, and any range with rentals will have both. Consider ammo cost in your decision.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Bedlam 0-0-0
Gunny

Post by Bedlam 0-0-0 »

Browning Buckmark and Ruger Mark III should be on the top of the .22 list. They are both solid. You can probably find them for a couple hundred bucks used.

Chris McClinch
Sarge

Post by Chris McClinch »

Bedlam 0-0-0 wrote:Browning Buckmark and Ruger Mark III should be on the top of the .22 list. They are both solid. You can probably find them for a couple hundred bucks used.
I'm a big fan of my Ruger Mark III. If you go for the XD, look for a Mark III 22/45. It's the same gun as the regular Mark III, but with the same grip angle as a 1911 or an XD.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

johno wrote:And while I'm talking safety, take an NRA safety class - I learned more gun safety in the NRA Basic class when I was 13 years old than I learned in 3 years in the Rangers.
Off topic but are there classes for adults? I thought that the NRA classes were just for kids (or at least they were when I was young).
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Tirofijo
Sarge

Post by Tirofijo »

Do you mind being a semi-early adopter? If not...

CZ P-07 (semi-compact) if you plan to get a conceal carry licence.

CZ P-09 (full-size) if it's going to be a bedside gun.

Relatively new pistols, but CZ knows what they are doing and the internals have been around in one form or another for a while.

Changeable backstraps should alleviate any size concerns.

I'd get either in 9mm. New improved self-defense rounds (should) have ended the caliber debate.

I prefer DA/SA in general, and I also recommend it for less experienced shooters that 1) don't want to shoot themselves, and 2) don't need to learn to manipulate a safety.

(These CZs can have either a decocker or a safety. The user can replace a lever to switch back and forth. I'd advise to use the decocker.)

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

The NRA offers courses to both adults & young people. Although the media & general population see it solely as a lobbying group, the NRA does more for gun safety than any three politically correct gun organizations.

W.B. Yeats

Dan Martin

Post by Dan Martin »

Look around for a police trade-in revolver. A Smith & Wesson Model 64 or 67. You can shoot any and all .38 Special loads in those. (and when it gets down to it, if you are only going to have one handgun, that's all you'll need) Learn to shoot double action. Once you get that squared away, then re-look at the Glocks.
Shomer Shabbos.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Dan Martin wrote:Look around for a police trade-in revolver. A Smith & Wesson Model 64 or 67. You can shoot any and all .38 Special loads in those. (and when it gets down to it, if you are only going to have one handgun, that's all you'll need) Learn to shoot double action. Once you get that squared away, then re-look at the Glocks.
IMO, a solid & economical plan. Maybe add a .22 LR revolver, if you want to shoot a lot.

W.B. Yeats

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

Hi-powers somehow fit smaller hands even with a double-stack mag. I like them, but yeah, they cost because they're almost a boutique item these days. I just put my FEG cloned HI-power on consignment (raising cash for a Colt). it's an exact copy made on tooling bought from FN, they can be found at less than half the price of the original. Later I plan to replace it with a real Browning, though. Just trying to gradually upgrade my collection right now.

If you don't mind polymer and and blocky modern esthetics, find a shop that will let you hold one of the polymer Walthers. The ergonomics are outstanding. Check out the youtube video from Hickok45 where he gets a PPQ. The PPQ is widely considered to have the best factory trigger of any striker-fired polymer gun out there. They also have an entry-level gun now, the PPX, which is sort of a bare bones version that is surprisingly inexpensive, at 350 to 400. I don't consider the looks of modern Walthers to be pretty, but for function I think they are really under-rated. Maybe because Walther spends so little on promotion in the US, and always seems to have trouble keeping up with even the current demand. That may change when the new US factory in Fort Smith is finished.

IF you want a revolver, I agree a S&W trade in is hard to beat. Shop near me has a carry-worn but tight Model 10 for $285. That's not much for a true classic 38sp. Little more cash will get you a 357.
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

Topic author
Boris

Post by Boris »

Thank you everyone. You've given me a lot of options - I appreciate it!

stanley_white
Gunny

Post by stanley_white »

A handgun is generally a defensive weapon.

A handgun is best used to fight your way to a rifle.

Most folks should choose a handgun based upon how well it fits their hand first, then carrying comfort / concealibility and then shoot-ability and then caliber.

Statistically speaking most folks can get by with a five shot revolver.

Most folks will never shoot well enough to notice the difference between a stock or custom handgun.

Regarding the below the French GIGN uses revolvers with bipods as a close quarters hostage standoff sniper platform which is both creative and legit.

-Stan

Bud Charniga's gaping asshole wrote:
Shafpocalypse Now wrote:How about a handgun that'll make someone shit their pants?

edit: I like guns as much as the next liberal west coast fag, but it seems to me that when you've got a scope and a bipod on your handgun, you're missing th epoint

knuckles
Gunny

Post by knuckles »

Its nice To see the CZs get some love. I love my compact. Little heavy but runs and is all round great piece.

Tirofijo
Sarge

Post by Tirofijo »

knuckles wrote:Its nice To see the CZs get some love. I love my compact. Little heavy but runs and is all round great piece.
I forgot to mention that the CZ P-07 and P-09 have polymer frames and the weight is reasonable.

(I have a CZ Shadow for gun games. It is all steel and heavy.)