Computer Nerdfaces: The veteran's administration still uses COBOL?

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Computer Nerdfaces: The veteran's administration still uses COBOL?

Post by bennyonesix »

Just saw on CSPAN that the veteran's administration still uses COBOL. Does this make it more or less vulnerable? Could the antiquated language make it harder to hack?

cleaner464
Sgt. Major

Re: Computer Nerdfaces: The veteran's administration still uses COBOL?

Post by cleaner464 »

Heh. Most ATM apps are still written in CICS hiding behind a nice presentation.
“Attached hereto is a copy of Mr. Trump’s birth certificate, demonstrating that he is the son of Fred Trump, not an orangutan,”

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

cleaner464 wrote:Heh. Most ATM apps are still written in CICS hiding behind a nice presentation.
Many an IT dinosaur can make well over one hundy per hour working on COBOL stuff.....these guys are chasing Andy in age and they get no peace in retirement.

cleaner464
Sgt. Major

Post by cleaner464 »

I was a COBOL/VSAM/CICS/DB2 badass.

Then they switched everything over to Unix. I then became a shell scripting,C coding, Oracle badass.
“Attached hereto is a copy of Mr. Trump’s birth certificate, demonstrating that he is the son of Fred Trump, not an orangutan,”

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

cleaner464 wrote:I was a COBOL/VSAM/CICS/DB2 badass.

Then they switched everything over to Unix. I then became a shell scripting,C coding, Oracle badass.
Nice to see you posting again, amigo. In spite of your love for The Obama, guys like you are sorely missed around this place.

Be well!

Andy83
Sgt. Major

Post by Andy83 »

What was the system that Ross Perot made a billion dollars tax payer money on computerizing the US govt? Why doesn't that still work? #-o
Obama's narcissism and arrogance is only superseded by his naivete and stupidity.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

export ORACLE_SID=IGx

sqlplus / as sysdba

select * from v$faggot

ORA-51030: too many matches.
You ever seen a cycling plumber who wrestles with small calves, forearms and neck? Didn't think so.

cleaner464
Sgt. Major

Post by cleaner464 »

SubClaw wrote:

export ORACLE_SID=IGx

sqlplus / as sysdba

select * from v$faggot

ORA-51030: too many matches.
I was just farting around, Francis. No computer geek is badass.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

Nothing at the VA is a bigger security concern than the fact that they employ idiots who think it's OK to leave the building with a flash drive full of SSNs.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

i have never delt with a bigger bunch of lazy, worthless, idiot bureaucrats than at the VA. Retired 4 years ago. Still trying to see a doctor for an assessment.

Unbelievable incompetence.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

ccrow
Gunny

Post by ccrow »

COBOL usually means old, legacy code on mainframe or midra ge platforms, which are generally more secure platforms - older, stable, mature, built around tight security. As mentioned sufficiently poor practices can make anything insecure.

In government, it is probably ripe for replacement when money is available, there will probably be a lot more than 500 million lines of code in the replacement and far far more vulnerabilities. Someone eager to spend that money was probably in over in calling attention to the COBOL software in place.
But when I stand in front of the mirror and really look, I wonder: What the fuck happened here? Jesus Christ. What a beating!

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman »

powerlifter54 wrote:i have never delt with a bigger bunch of lazy, worthless, idiot bureaucrats than at the VA. Retired 4 years ago. Still trying to see a doctor for an assessment.
My friend, Barry Gross, the artist,.. gets his health care through the VA. His stories are absolutely frightening.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman »

...there will probably be a lot more than 500 million lines of code in the replacement...
That is half a days work for KennyX.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

powerlifter54 wrote:i have never delt with a bigger bunch of lazy, worthless, idiot bureaucrats than at the VA.
It's like an entire agency full of people who think they're Secretary of State.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

TomFurman wrote:
powerlifter54 wrote:i have never delt with a bigger bunch of lazy, worthless, idiot bureaucrats than at the VA. Retired 4 years ago. Still trying to see a doctor for an assessment.
My friend, Barry Gross, the artist,.. gets his health care through the VA. His stories are absolutely frightening.
Weird. Here in NY, I know three guys who use the VA and all three are very satisfied. I've heard that it's wildly hit or miss depending on where you live. How does that happen?
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape »

First level care (assistance with benefits, medical, etc.) at VA is divided up into Regional Offices. The VARO administers the local claims offices, VA hospitals, etc.

Some VAROs are better run than others, and some VAROs are a lot busier than others (e.g., the State of Alaska has one VARO, in Anchorage. Texas (with a lot more people and presumably a lot more vets) only has two).

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

cough Congressional cough
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

ccrow wrote:COBOL usually means old, legacy code on mainframe or midra ge platforms, which are generally more secure platforms - older, stable, mature, built around tight security. As mentioned sufficiently poor practices can make anything insecure..
This is kinda of what I was getting at. Sometimes archaic systems are accidentally more secure than the newer ones because the criminals just can't work the shit and there are fewer and less efficient/powerful access points.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

VA employees would find a way to leave sensitive data sitting around in public places, even if it had to be carried in shoe boxes.

ccrow
Gunny

Post by ccrow »

I was curious about the context this was being discussed on CSPAN, I didn't find that, but I did find this:

https://www.quora.com/When-will-mainfra ... ow?share=1

If you have a degree in computer science from the greenscreen days, mid 80s or so, before the rise of the PC, that was pretty much some theory classes and programming in COBOL and FORTRAN, and 30 years later neither is dead.

As for the VA - I think it is the closest thing we have to socialized medicine may foreshadow what's in store as federal involvement in healthcare increases. But it isn't COBOL's fault.
But when I stand in front of the mirror and really look, I wonder: What the fuck happened here? Jesus Christ. What a beating!

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

ccrow wrote:As for the VA - I think it is the closest thing we have to socialized medicine may foreshadow what's in store as federal involvement in healthcare increases.
This. It's not that socialized medicine is necessarily bad, but it requires a competent and responsive bureaucracy with good data. Regarding health care, we have neither.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

ccrow wrote:I was curious about the context this was being discussed on CSPAN, I didn't find that, but I did find this:

https://www.quora.com/When-will-mainfra ... ow?share=1

If you have a degree in computer science from the greenscreen days, mid 80s or so, before the rise of the PC, that was pretty much some theory classes and programming in COBOL and FORTRAN, and 30 years later neither is dead.

As for the VA - I think it is the closest thing we have to socialized medicine may foreshadow what's in store as federal involvement in healthcare increases. But it isn't COBOL's fault.
It was a hearing where the most recent head was getting grilled in the House. He was listing all the issues that still need to be addressed and mentioned the COBOL thing as an example of how behind the times they are... He talked about how that was the tech when he was in college...

I thought it was funny but then I started thinking that COBOL is still fine for a lot of applications and maybe better for some...

And "fixing" the system by upgrading it would be a money sink like no one's business and probably a less efficient and less secure system at the end.

Topic author
bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

ccrow wrote:I was curious about the context this was being discussed on CSPAN
http://www.c-span.org/video/?327265-1/v ... -va-budget