Smart dog guys (you know who you are) fix my problem

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Smart dog guys (you know who you are) fix my problem

Post by seeahill »

My dog Dex, has started snapping at other dogs. Air snaps, but still snaps. He's a male 4 year old Brittany, 58 pounds, and nobody's Alpha dog. We usually walk on mountain trails, where he is just fine with other dogs we meet. But the snow is deep and we have been going to the dog park. At the park, when I stop walking and chat with people, he tends to snap at other dogs. Only the ones that are substantially bigger than he is.

As you may recall, he is a rescue who was tied to a tree in Winnemucca NV for the whole first year of his life. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Some points: he doesn't snap if I'm walking. Only when I stop. He doesn't show any obvious signs of agitation or excitement before the snap.

I have been making him sit and stay when he snaps.

Any other ideas?

Thank you.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Smart dog guys (you know who you are) fix my problem

Post by Sangoma »

The best thing I have ever done with my dog is training her with the remote collar. I highly recommend researching this option. It is not a straightforward tool and can be abused, like everything else, so consulting a coach or reading literature on the topic is important. You can check out Amazon reviews of Dogtra or other collars, some of them are pretty revealing. From my modest experience with dogs remote collar gives the quickest results with least headache.

Topic author
seeahill

Post by seeahill »

Thanks Sang. I actually have an ecollar and use it. I just don't know exactly how I'd use it in this situation. My dog thinks it means "Come." And he comes right to me, every time. I'd like to figure out a way that doesn't confuse him.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

No offense to Smet, but I didn't even read his reply to you. I am too old, too tired, too blind,,,,

Anyhow, I know a thing or 50 about training dogs and behavior modification as you know. Call me, I think I can quickly help you. You're doing the right thing by way of obedience as communication vs. punishment, but I suspect your delivery is not the way it should be (and you'd likely be surprised at the recommended delivery). FYI, every dog named Dex I've known has been awesome, so if he ends up fucked up, all your fault.....no pressure or nothing. ;-)

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

Try drowning and reviving it. Seems to shut beings up

Topic author
seeahill

Post by seeahill »

I will track you down to that ramshackle trailer you live in and drive a fucking wooden stake through your buckethead.

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

Forget my last. It looks as if the near death might make it even angrier, and delusional as well

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Hahahahaha!

Boris

Post by Boris »

The Venerable Bogatir X wrote: You're doing the right thing by way of obedience as communication vs. punishment, but I suspect your delivery is not the way it should be (and you'd likely be surprised at the recommended delivery).
Could you just post it here? I'd like to hear the advice too. I think I have a pretty good handle on dog behavior, but I'm always open to good learning.

The Crawdaddy

Post by The Crawdaddy »

Boris wrote:
The Venerable Bogatir X wrote: You're doing the right thing by way of obedience as communication vs. punishment, but I suspect your delivery is not the way it should be (and you'd likely be surprised at the recommended delivery).
Could you just post it here? I'd like to hear the advice too. I think I have a pretty good handle on dog behavior, but I'm always open to good learning.
Double down on this request.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:90% of the people lifting in gyms are doing it on "feel" and what they really "feel" like is being a lazy fuck.
"A good man always knows his limitations..." -- "Dirty" Harry Callahan

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

The Crawdaddy wrote:
Boris wrote:
Double down on this request.
I put a shit ton of dog training stuff on FSF ages ago. I don't know if Mario kept it or let it go, but please search for it and 'bump' anything you find and I promise I will look at all of it and clean up as necessary.

I will say this: if I were a dog trainer in the age of the internet, I would make the Wiki on BF Skinner's OC mandatory readi

Topic author
seeahill

Post by seeahill »

If the Venerable B deigns to speak with me, I will relay that info here.

Andy83
Sgt. Major

Post by Andy83 »

A Brittany is usually a very sweet loving gentle dog. Reddish in color and the strange dog is probably a racist that called him a Redskin. Tell your dog the stranger is a muslim and they'll be friends forever.
Obama's narcissism and arrogance is only superseded by his naivete and stupidity.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby »

My dog is easily sidetracked.If he starts barking at another dog I only have to show him a ball (not of the human kind....) and he focuses on the ball instead.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

It's just your dog's way of telling you your cabin is not on fire.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
seeahill

Post by seeahill »

Andy82 wrote:A Brittany is usually a very sweet loving gentle dog. Reddish in color and the strange dog is probably a racist that called him a Redskin. Tell your dog the stranger is a muslim and they'll be friends forever.
Most dogs are Muslim. You see that thing the politically correct call a "play bow?" That's Muslim praying right there. Anyone can see it. We should never have let them into this country. Build a wall, you say?. Ha! They'll piss on your wall.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Bobby wrote:My dog is easily sidetracked.If he starts barking at another dog I only have to show him a ball (not of the human kind....) and he focuses on the ball instead.
Think about how we must see you if you have to explain you don't flash your nuts at your dog in public.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby »

baffled wrote:
Bobby wrote:My dog is easily sidetracked.If he starts barking at another dog I only have to show him a ball (not of the human kind....) and he focuses on the ball instead.
Think about how we must see you if you have to explain you don't flash your nuts at your dog in public.
It is the warmest december I`ve ever lived through here in Sweden,but not even I walk the dog naked,think that is more of a Shape thing.....
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Have you considered getting rid of filthy pets?

Once you're past adolescence, there is no need to bond with an animal.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby »

:finga:
TerryB wrote:Have you considered getting rid of filthy pets?

:finga: :finga: :finga: !
"being a pussy".

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

seeahill wrote:If the Venerable B deigns to speak with me, I will relay that info here.
I am always happy to talk one on one. However, I have literally posted thousands of words about dog training and practical obedience on this site and have zero desire to rewrite it.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

seeahill wrote:Most dogs are Muslim.
I was worried about this with our new dog, but she's always chosen bacon over hummus when given a choice. I think we're safe.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

TerryB wrote:Have you considered getting rid of filthy pets?

This.

It's freaking odd.

You bring a filthy animal into your home and then act shocked when they occasionally act out of pure instinct.

I can understand bunnies being cute and goats interesting for a few moments but dogs are the absolute worst.

Hearing a person say they own a dog is like hearing a person say they like Hillary Clinton or RUSH - no matter what else you do in your life, I forever question your judgement.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Topic author
seeahill

Post by seeahill »

A dog teaches us unconditional love, loyalty, and to always turn around three times before taking a dump.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

seeahill wrote:A dog teaches us unconditional love, loyalty, and to always turn around three times before taking a dump.
See, there is a little bit of anthropomorphic horse puckey that we all need to understand: dogs completely live in the moment. Don't think for a heartbeat, they think about you when they are in a new home.

Did you call me or do you need me to resend my digits?

Jim