The Guru Effect.

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

The Guru Effect.

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

http://bigthink.com/neurobonkers/the-guru-effect

Four years ago a paper by Dan Sperber published in the Review of Philosophy and Psychology coined the term: The Guru Effect - the tendency for people to "judge profound what they have failed to grasp." The paper examines how self-professed Gurus have a knack for inspiring devotion through speaking in a way that confers profound understanding but in reality fails to deliver anything of actual substance.

"If you take the trouble, you can notice something unexpected. These advocates of the scientific approach routinely conceal important aspects of their experimental findings and just as routinely they exaggerate their results. They exaggerate and they conceal so regularly that they cannot be aware of what exactly they are actually doing, as they follow supposedly scientific procedures."

By publishing little more in terms of data than statistical significance scores, scientists working in the social sciences are able to withhold information of fundamental importance from the reader:

"There is one crucial piece of evidence lacking in most experimental social psychology reports today: frequency scores. Although writing about the significant effects of particular variables, the authors typically do not say exactly how many of the participants might have been affected by the variable in question. As we shall see, when statistically significant differences are found, the reports usually imply that all participants were affected. That implication has to be a fiction".
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Re: The Guru Effect.

Post by Mickey O'neil »

That first quote sounds exactly like Glassman.

stosh
Sgt. Major

Post by stosh »

This could probably be merged with your FMS/et al post on the training forum. I was listening to a podcast today talking about FMS, and the guy said something to the effect of "An important part of being successful with FMS is that you must have belief that it's going to work." And it wasn't just "Be confident", it was more "Believe in Gray."
A novice is someone who keeps asking himself if he is a novice. An intermediate is someone who is sick of training with weak people and an advanced person doesn't give a shit anymore. - Jim Wendler

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Mickey O'neil wrote:That first quote sounds exactly like Glassman.
It is EXACTLY his stock in trade. Coupled with photos of hot chicks in tight outfits.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

stosh wrote:This could probably be merged with your FMS/et al post on the training forum. I was listening to a podcast today talking about FMS, and the guy said something to the effect of "An important part of being successful with FMS is that you must have belief that it's going to work." And it wasn't just "Be confident", it was more "Believe in Gray."

Too true...

Dietrich Buchenholz
Sarge

Post by Dietrich Buchenholz »

Reflexive-firing isometrics exploit the “plyometric effect” of movement proficiency- but so do a lot of methods! So, what really separates this method from others is it teaches your system how to rapidly “turn on” and “turn off” via highly concentrated bursts of neuro-electric activity and tension recruitment, alternated with a proficient release of tension as it relates to “neural energy sparing.” All of this traces back to intricate functions of the nervous system that make-up contraction rate (CR) ability (i.e. this aforementioned ‘rapid-fire’ cycle) – interval rate (IR) and transmission rate (TR). That is, not only is it important to recruit what is needed, when it is needed, but the conservation-of-energy effects of this method perpetuate a longer terminal capacity function to be realized (i.e. how long you can keep up intensity of effort before realizing a drop in function).

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

Dietrich Buchenholz wrote:Reflexive-firing isometrics exploit the “plyometric effect” of movement proficiency- but so do a lot of methods! So, what really separates this method from others is it teaches your system how to rapidly “turn on” and “turn off” via highly concentrated bursts of neuro-electric activity and tension recruitment, alternated with a proficient release of tension as it relates to “neural energy sparing.” All of this traces back to intricate functions of the nervous system that make-up contraction rate (CR) ability (i.e. this aforementioned ‘rapid-fire’ cycle) – interval rate (IR) and transmission rate (TR). That is, not only is it important to recruit what is needed, when it is needed, but the conservation-of-energy effects of this method perpetuate a longer terminal capacity function to be realized (i.e. how long you can keep up intensity of effort before realizing a drop in function).
Yep. Proves the point.

Chris McClinch
Sarge

Post by Chris McClinch »

Beware of anyone who uses language to obfuscate, not communicate.

If your guru can't explain it in terms a five-year-old would understand, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

Ever notice how many gurus train the top of the heap athletes outside of the old Communist Bloc teams? i can think of 1 (Ben Francis/Charlie Francis).

Because freaks don't need it. Average and below average folks do. Think i have shared the story of my neighbor who was paying a trainer a lot of cash and getting zero results. Came up in party conversation she was frustrated. Asked her what her goal was and she was clear, good looking arms and shoulders for a sleeveless dress at her daughters wedding. Asked what she was doing and when i heard it i stifled a laugh. I told her she needed to put down the wine and start eating less and push a wheelbarrel up an down the hill our street was on 3x a day. Well we taled later and she agreed. Her husband got pissed a few days later and thought i was punking her. He asked how much i charged and i said it was neighborly free advice. And it worked. She wanted more and i steered her to a trainer i know who is really good.

Bottom line is just about anything works for general populations for a year, and we all have discussed that ad nauseum. Most gurus are marketers and pulling the Chauncy Gardener trick of saying nothing much and looking introspective.

In the end, for most who are not freaks to rise above average it takes trail and error and finding the right combinations of tools to make progress, and then realizing and adapting when it stops working.

Nobody will buy $$$ that. Why i have an other job.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

powerlifter54 wrote:Ever notice how many gurus train the top of the heap athletes outside of the old Communist Bloc teams? i can think of 1 (Ben Francis/Charlie Francis).

Because freaks don't need it. Average and below average folks do. Think i have shared the story of my neighbor who was paying a trainer a lot of cash and getting zero results. Came up in party conversation she was frustrated. Asked her what her goal was and she was clear, good looking arms and shoulders for a sleeveless dress at her daughters wedding. Asked what she was doing and when i heard it i stifled a laugh. I told her she needed to put down the wine and start eating less and push a wheelbarrel up an down the hill our street was on 3x a day. Well we taled later and she agreed. Her husband got pissed a few days later and thought i was punking her. He asked how much i charged and i said it was neighborly free advice. And it worked. She wanted more and i steered her to a trainer i know who is really good.

Bottom line is just about anything works for general populations for a year, and we all have discussed that ad nauseum. Most gurus are marketers and pulling the Chauncy Gardener trick of saying nothing much and looking introspective.

In the end, for most who are not freaks to rise above average it takes trail and error and finding the right combinations of tools to make progress, and then realizing and adapting when it stops working.

The PL coach I work with has had a surprisingly long career, training ONLY average to slightly gifted lifters in amateur PL/BB and Strongman. I'm constantly amazed......and the system he developed? I could write it on a 3x5 card and I weekly take issue with some elements of it...but it's still pays the bills and takes people to worlds every year. He is doing yeoman's work and getting paid for it. He is probably one of the luckiest people alive.

johnst_nhb
Sarge

Post by johnst_nhb »

Mickey O'neil wrote:That first quote sounds exactly like Glassman.
And Starrett.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

I get irked by the credentials. For example, they say "This and this, a Ph.D., says that eating that and that can lead to whatever". More often than not the guy's Ph.D. will be irrelevant to the topic, yet somehow it means that he is the expert. A radiology professor can say complete shit about PEDs and it passes as the sacred truth because he is a fucking professor, even though in totally unrelated field.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
powerlifter54 wrote:Ever notice how many gurus train the top of the heap athletes outside of the old Communist Bloc teams? i can think of 1 (Ben Francis/Charlie Francis).

The PL coach I work with has had a surprisingly long career, training ONLY average to slightly gifted lifters in amateur PL/BB and Strongman. I'm constantly amazed......and the system he developed? I could write it on a 3x5 card and I weekly take issue with some elements of it...but it's still pays the bills and takes people to worlds every year. He is doing yeoman's work and getting paid for it. He is probably one of the luckiest people alive.
A fortunate man. Probably not a very complicated system and he gets day to day feedback from his clients. Very cool gig.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

powerlifter54 wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:

A fortunate man. Probably not a very complicated system and he gets day to day feedback from his clients. Very cool gig.
So true. I have acquired a number of lifters who have found a lot of success with me not because im awesome, simply because I pay attention.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.