Fuck Moving

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
dingleberry
Manpussy Apprentice

Fuck Moving

Post by dingleberry »

Been renting since the divorce. Bought a house this week.

I hate moving.
nafod wrote:I do find I am spending more and more time in the bathroom in the morning, just staring at myself and wondering if I am pretty.

Boris

Re: Fuck Moving

Post by Boris »

Moving is the worst. I like where I am now, but I've stayed for years in shitholes just to avoid moving.

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

Oh, Yeah, I know that feeling. The last trip in from the truck felt so good.
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

A few years ago, I fell on hard times and moved seven times in under three years. By the end, I could fit everything in my Honda Civic. Well, except for all the stuff that was in a $300+ a month storage, but almost all of that belonged to my ex.
Now my fiancé and I have a good deal on an apartment in Brooklyn, so we're never moving again.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

dingleberry wrote:Been renting since the divorce. Bought a house this week.

I hate moving.
I used to be in the moving business. Used to be that a reputable mover charged 4 hours minimum portal to portal for a local move. If you're moving at a slow time, you might save yourself a ton of hassle by checking with a mover w/o breaking the bank. It might cost 2X the cost of doing it yourself but it could be worth it. Get references though, lots of 3rd rate movers around.

If you're moving long distance, the rules are different.

Even just the heavy stuff helps a lot and a good mover can load a ton of stuff fast. Hint, use good boxes with lids - no plastic bags. Don't know how old you are but I'm completely past the age where any friends will help.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

DrDonkeyLove wrote:
dingleberry wrote:Been renting since the divorce. Bought a house this week.

I hate moving.
I used to be in the moving business. Used to be that a reputable mover charged 4 hours minimum portal to portal for a local move. If you're moving at a slow time, you might save yourself a ton of hassle by checking with a mover w/o breaking the bank. It might cost 2X the cost of doing it yourself but it could be worth it. Get references though, lots of 3rd rate movers around.

If you're moving long distance, the rules are different.

Even just the heavy stuff helps a lot and a good mover can load a ton of stuff fast. Hint, use good boxes with lids - no plastic bags. Don't know how old you are but I'm completely past the age where any friends will help.
All of this.

Our penultimate move from one apartment to another was such a shitshow. We said "never again" and when we bought our house we hired a moving company. It was money well spent.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Steve Maxwell is a moving expert.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

When my dad was just a kid, he moved 6 times in the same town. His dad was a coal miner, and back then you had to live in company housing and shop at the company store if you worked for the company's coal mine. New job? New house.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

DrDonkeyLove wrote: Don't know how old you are but I'm completely past the age where any friends will help.
Same here, but replace will with can. All my social circle seems pathetically weak and out of shape. 1, 2 boxes and they would collapse on the floor in a pile of sweat, desperately sucking at their 48 ounce sodas. And we're all in our 40's, but somehow I'm the only one without a bad back. Of course they are mostly IT staff.
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

Topic author
dingleberry
Manpussy Apprentice

Post by dingleberry »

Hiring movers for the furniture. I already moved the garage shit myself to include the home gym.. My girlfriend has about six tons of shoes and clothes. She is on her own.

All my stuff fits in my truck and on my trailer.

I'm almost 50 and although I work for a fire department and could probably influence some of the younger studs to help, I hate asking for help.
nafod wrote:I do find I am spending more and more time in the bathroom in the morning, just staring at myself and wondering if I am pretty.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

If not for my wife, I could easily fit all I need in the trunk of my car:

- The MacBook I work from and where I have stored all my digital life.

- The external hard disk where I have a backup (there is one more stored on the cloud).

- My wallet, which contains a few notes, my debit and credit cards and my ID, social security card and driver's license.

- Some clothes.

- My iPhone.

Anything else I don't REALLY need and falls in the category of "nice to have" or "fuck moving, I'll just buy again anything I need".
You ever seen a cycling plumber who wrestles with small calves, forearms and neck? Didn't think so.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

We are looking at moving from our current location in about a year and I'm already dreading it. Better earning potential and schools are great but I really hate moving. If at all possible I will be using quality movers as much as possible. Fuck moving.

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

Dunn wrote:We are looking at moving from our current location in about a year and I'm already dreading it. Better earning potential and schools are great but I really hate moving. If at all possible I will be using quality movers as much as possible. Fuck moving.
Where are you headed?
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

The Ginger Beard Man wrote:
Dunn wrote:We are looking at moving from our current location in about a year and I'm already dreading it. Better earning potential and schools are great but I really hate moving. If at all possible I will be using quality movers as much as possible. Fuck moving.
Where are you headed?
Eye balling North Carolina.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Fucking nightmare. Even with a moving company that the corporate relocation folks used, my last move was a fucking get nightmare. I am still throwing fucking get shit away that I find do in boxes and we got fucked over for about 2k in broken shit

Here's a number: 74

That's the number of FUCKING QUILTS MY MOTHER HAS MADE AND GIVEN US IN THE LAST 15 YEARS

MY DOG has his own quilt, and my daughter has like 7

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

I hate the spell check on this galaxy s2 tablet I'm trying out

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Fucking nightmare. Even with a moving company that the corporate relocation folks used, my last move was a fucking get nightmare. I am still throwing fucking get shit away that I find do in boxes and we got fucked over for about 2k in broken shit

Here's a number: 74

That's the number of FUCKING QUILTS MY MOTHER HAS MADE AND GIVEN US IN THE LAST 15 YEARS

MY DOG has his own quilt, and my daughter has like 7

Pics or it didn't happen.
You ever seen a cycling plumber who wrestles with small calves, forearms and neck? Didn't think so.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Yeah...I was able to get a picture replaced, a bed, table, and couch repaired (the furniture repair guy was insanely good) but the rest of the stuff I didn't find until later.

Unless you want pics of the quilts...I can take those if you don't believe me.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Yeah...I was able to get a picture replaced, a bed, table, and couch repaired (the furniture repair guy was insanely good) but the rest of the stuff I didn't find until later.

Unless you want pics of the quilts...I can take those if you don't believe me.
If they are good, that sounds quite nice. Quilting is a dying folk art.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

My mom is a kick ass quilter.

No lie.

EXCEPT I HAVE SO MANY

judobrian

Post by judobrian »

Dunn, where at in NC, if you don't mind my asking?
Rain don't change the sun...

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Don't move to Asheville, where apparently low income hipsters go to cry about not making good money

judobrian

Post by judobrian »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Don't move to Asheville, where apparently low income hipsters go to cry about not making good money
This is truth. The excellent quality of the local breweries, while still quite good, has now been met or exceeded in less intentionally ironic portions of the state. Although Asheville remains a great place for a weekend trip.
Rain don't change the sun...

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

judobrian wrote:Dunn, where at in NC, if you don't mind my asking?
Charlotte or Raleigh-Durham area. Wife is visiting Charlotte for a conference in Oct and will check it out. Goal is to finish my RN and make the move, get my NP and basically settle in for the raising of the wee one and what not.