Blood work - what to get?

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
milosz

Blood work - what to get?

Post by milosz »

My 23andme test confirmed what I already knew from family history - my mom's side has fucked me with a history of heart disease and Alzheimer's. Dad's side live forever barring freak accident. Saturated fat is bad, alcohol is bad - but it seems that there's a trade-off between fat intake and the heart disease/Alzheimer's. Anecdotally, my grandmother's Alzheimer's progressed rapidly after heart surgery and being put on a low-fat diet.

My HMO is shit and my PCP is only slightly better, so I'm just going to order my own blood test.

$189 at WellnessFX gets
Lipids including Lp(a) and ApoB (these two seem to be the most important)
CRP
TSH/Glucose/HbA1C (my father has Type 2 Diabetes but neither of his parents had issues with it so that's mostly lifestyle)
BUN/Creatinine, AST&ALT, Bilirubin, Albumin, Total Protein - these seem relatively unimportant
25-Hydroxy VitD, Calcium, Electrolytes, Bicarbonate

Testosterone is basically another $300 - I'm in my 30s and my dick still works like a champ so I don't see this as being worthwhile
Thyroid is $200 - I don't have any trouble losing weight when I eat even a little bit clean, not sure this is worth it.

I can piece together something via directlabs or mymedlabs that should come in a little cheaper (but not a ton) but I'm not sure if there's anything missing from the WellnessFX panel that I should get.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Re: Blood work - what to get?

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Low test won;t manifest as dick dysfunction or even reduced libido. (god how i wish) It won't even manifest necessary as physical weakness. I've hit lifetime PR's in teh gym with the test level of a 70 year old man...that said, get it checked not to understand what baseline is FOR YOU. These are wildly variable in both free and total test. Whoever is charging 300 for that is ripping you off. i routinely get T, total, Free and Est checked for 50 bux.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 »

When I was around 50 my thyroid went on me. Took a couple months after to find the right dosage etc for me and get leveled out. Doc said if we had had baseline numbers from back when I was feeling good - it might have been quicker to figure out. Same with testosterone. If you can afford it get a complete workout and save the results for when things go south on you when you get old and creaky. It can be well worth while.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

milosz wrote:My 23andme test confirmed what I already knew from family history - my mom's side has fucked me with a history of heart disease and Alzheimer's. Dad's side live forever barring freak accident. Saturated fat is bad, alcohol is bad - but it seems that there's a trade-off between fat intake and the heart disease/Alzheimer's. Anecdotally, my grandmother's Alzheimer's progressed rapidly after heart surgery and being put on a low-fat diet.

My HMO is shit and my PCP is only slightly better, so I'm just going to order my own blood test.

$189 at WellnessFX gets
CRP
TSH/Glucose/HbA1C (my father has Type 2 Diabetes but neither of his parents had issues with it so that's mostly lifestyle)
BUN/Creatinine, AST&ALT, Bilirubin, Albumin, Total Protein - these seem relatively unimportant

Testosterone is basically another $300 - I'm in my 30s and my dick still works like a champ so I don't see this as being worthwhile
Thyroid is $200 - I don't have any trouble losing weight when I eat even a little bit clean, not sure this is worth it.

I can piece together something via directlabs or mymedlabs that should come in a little cheaper (but not a ton) but I'm not sure if there's anything missing from the WellnessFX panel that I should get.
History and examination contribute close to 90% to a diagnosis, and blood tests about 10%. Consulting a good doctor would be money much better spent.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

I'm well over 50 and my doc always includes PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen?). It's good to have a baseline of that as you age. Stay away from anything with Benadryl (including Tylenol PM type stuff) prior to the test because it bumps up the number somehow.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud »

milosz wrote: My HMO is shit and my PCP is only slightly better, so I'm just going to order my own blood test.
That would suck. I can't imagine a plan that doesn't cover a good annual physical w/ bloodwork. Just tell your doc you feel tired and run down all the time and you want a good workup including thyroid, testosterone, estradiol, vit D, PSA, etc. Tell em you have a friend who was in a similar boat and his hormonal milieu was a mess and since correcting it he's feeling much better.

No way you should be paying out of pocket if you have a plan. Gotta be a squeaky wheel.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

There was a good piece on just checking out 'cash' prices for testing. In many places blood tests cost the insurance company, say, $120 and it passes, say, $40 onto you, per test, when the cash price at a place might be closer to $15 or less.

There are several places online that do very inexpensive blood tests as well

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Move to Canada.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

can i bring my guns?
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

dead man walking wrote:can i bring my guns?
Just don't tell anyone.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

milosz wrote:My 23andme test confirmed what I already knew from family history - my mom's side has fucked me with a history of heart disease and Alzheimer's. Dad's side live forever barring freak accident. Saturated fat is bad, alcohol is bad - but it seems that there's a trade-off between fat intake and the heart disease/Alzheimer's. Anecdotally, my grandmother's Alzheimer's progressed rapidly after heart surgery and being put on a low-fat diet.

$189 at WellnessFX gets
CRP

I'm at the same place, in that I feel pretty solid now and want to get a snapshot of what this looks like so I can better maintain as I age and the shift work continues to take its toll on me. Currently looking for a PCP that is in the know and willing to work with me rather than just ignore concerns, something my F-I-L is dealing with now.