Trump's Acceptance Speech...

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
johno
Sergeant Commanding

Trump's Acceptance Speech...

Post by johno »

...was very good. Who knew he could complete a coherent thought?

He did a good job contrasting himself to Hillary re: the Border & Sanctuary Cities, trade, law enforcement, school choice (how that's federal, I don't know), regulation & taxes, and the Middle East.

If he hadn't just done a disastrous interview with the NYTimes, I might have been swayed. Among other problems, he has a disturbing affection for strongman dictators.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Re: Trump's Acceptance Speech...

Post by Turdacious »

Who would have ever thought that Hillary would be the Republican in the race?
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

Turdacious wrote:Who would have ever thought that Hillary would be the Republican in the race?
The only Republicans who should consider Hillary one of their own are those who miss Dick Cheney. Hillary is Dick Cheney.

Meanwhile, two two-term Republican Governors are running together on the Libertarian ticket.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

"I alone can fix it."

the pumpkin-colored megalomaniac does his best imitation of [insert your favorite authoritarian demagogue here].
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

dead man walking wrote:"I alone can fix it."

the pumpkin-colored megalomaniac does his best imitation of [insert your favorite authoritarian demagogue here].

Obama's acceptance speech here. Not all that different from Trump's.
The One wrote:...this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal; this was the moment when we ended a war and secured our nation and restored our image as the last, best hope on Earth. This was the moment - this was the time - when we came together to remake this great nation so that it may always reflect our very best selves, and our highest ideals. Thank you, God Bless you, and may God Bless the United States of America.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Pinky wrote:
Turdacious wrote:Who would have ever thought that Hillary would be the Republican in the race?
The only Republicans who should consider Hillary one of their own are those who miss Dick Cheney. Hillary is Dick Cheney.

Meanwhile, two two-term Republican Governors are running together on the Libertarian ticket.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

Hilary = never met a war she didn't like. Funny how all the people who crushed Bush for Iraq are ready to vote for a candidate who supported that war, plus two more wars since then involving countries who didn't attack us, and wants to continue to instigate Russia via NATO. Hilarious.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

Not bad. Not bad at all.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Boris

Post by Boris »

Improve insurance, student loans, roads, bridges, airports, bridges, TSA, steel mills, coal mining, military, border/immigration control, trade, and trade agreements. All while adding millions of jobs and reducing taxes and regulation.

It's almost like the problems all solve themselves! It's a vicious cycle of winning!

Boris

Post by Boris »

dead man walking wrote:"I alone can fix it."

I think it was "No one knows the system better than me. And that is why I alone can fix it."

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Incredibly dark, which is very out of place in a country where the problems he's describing have improved dramatically over the "good old days."

My main concern was that he might be persuasive to people not already on the bus. I don't think that was the case here. He's going hard after the same group he's been going after. I wouldn't be surprised to see no bounce or a negative one.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Topic author
johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

He could get a bounce with people like me, who like a candidate with a little self-restraint and discipline. (But not a Hillarybot.)
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Herv100 wrote:Hilary = never met a war she didn't like. Funny how all the people who crushed Bush for Iraq are ready to vote for a candidate who supported that war, plus two more wars since then involving countries who didn't attack us, and wants to continue to instigate Russia via NATO. Hilarious.
I'm not sure I'm understanding your argument. That's a reason for a liberal to oppose her, not a Republican who likely voted for Bush twice.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Herv100 wrote:Hilary = never met a war she didn't like. Funny how all the people who crushed Bush for Iraq are ready to vote for a candidate who supported that war, plus two more wars since then involving countries who didn't attack us, and wants to continue to instigate Russia via NATO. Hilarious.
I'm not sure I'm understanding your argument. That's a reason for a liberal to oppose her, not a Republican who likely voted for Bush twice.

You understand his argument better than you think you do.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

Turdacious wrote:
Pinky wrote:

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

I liked it a lot. Criticism of it in the initial 90 minutes was primarily "Trump says mean things" until the "dark" narrative took hold.

Ivanka also has a real future in politics if she wants it.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Pinky wrote:
Grandpa's Spells wrote:

You understand his argument better than you think you do.
And it's not just foreign policy. He's protectionist; she's not. Her religious beliefs are more consistent with the Republican line than his are.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Protobuilder wrote:I liked it a lot. Criticism of it in the initial 90 minutes was primarily "Trump says mean things" until the "dark" narrative took hold.

Ivanka also has a real future in politics if she wants it.
Love or hate The Donald, he has to get credit for one thing - creating a universally known brand. For all of his love of us little people and his unfathomable love for all things Amurikkkan, maybe future Trumps in politics is part of his long game. Trump = One of America's first families for generations, think Bush, Roosevelt, Rockefeller & Kennedy families. Fits his profile.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Yes I Have Balls

Post by Yes I Have Balls »

And of course the biggest difference between 1968 and today, you could easily win a presidential election by only appealing to whitey.

Yes I Have Balls

johno wrote:...was very good. Who knew he could complete a coherent thought?
And today he's back harping on Ted Cruz's dad and JFK, telling people that Lewandowski is "fighting hard for me" while working for CNN and letting a white supremacist address the crowd. *Shrug*

I mean, how certain are we that one of you aren't really Donald Trump? samsies

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Yes I Have Balls wrote:And of course the biggest difference between 1968 and today, you could easily win a presidential election by only appealing to whitey.
One thing we do know is that the Donald was around when the modern playbook was written. http://www.salon.com/2011/06/07/anthony_weiner_1991/

Yes I Have Balls

Turdacious wrote:
Yes I Have Balls wrote:And of course the biggest difference between 1968 and today, you could easily win a presidential election by only appealing to whitey.
One thing we do know is that the Donald was around when the modern playbook was written. http://www.salon.com/2011/06/07/anthony_weiner_1991/
IMO, Trump is much more Buchanan but without the religion. Man that's awful. Buchanan was a better person than Trump......smdh

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

Trump is a train wreck. His only selling point is that he's not Hillary.

Her only selling point is that she's not Trump.

Yes I Have Balls

Which would you rather? Instigate Russia in a face to face fight, or allow them to fuck you in the ass?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/22/us/po ... rview.html

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
I didn't quote him but was responding to Pinky who said Hilary = Cheney. Wasn't making an argument, just a statement that the anti-war/anti military industrial complex sentiment has disappeared from the most left's list of key voting issues.