The Interwebs Are Watching Me (good thing I'm not naked)

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

The Interwebs Are Watching Me (good thing I'm not naked)

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Sitting w/my wife at Starbucks today and she said that she had to go to the market. I asked her to pick me up some meal bars. I forgot the name but described the wrapping to her. 20 minutes later she sent me a text asking about the bars. I texted back that the name might be Rx bar or something similar. Then I did a Yahoo search on Safari with my iPhone to make sure I got it correct.

My iPhone searches are supposed to be private but I see that "Do Not Track" was turned off on one update or another.

5 minutes ago I go on Facebook for the first time today and the second thing on my wall is an advertisement for RXBAR. One of the ones pictured was my favorite flavor (which my wife purchased today). I've never seen an advertisement from them ever before.

I don't know if Starbucks and/or Yahoo tracked my search or if my credit card, grocery, and Facebook share purchasing info but fuck me, this isn't a coincidence. I wonder what other meta data trails I'm leaving.

I'll bet in some ways, the internet knows me better than I know myself.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

SubClaw

Re: The Interwebs Are Watching Me (good thing I'm not naked)

Post by SubClaw »

Use DuckDuckGo as your main search engine.
You ever seen a cycling plumber who wrestles with small calves, forearms and neck? Didn't think so.

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew »

It's no coincidence that Shape's Facebook sidebar shows advertisements that most people will never be able to "unsee".

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

With the proliferation of social media and smartphones privacy is an oxymoron. I now regularly get cold marketing phone calls on my cellphone. My phone provider offers the service to block such calls... for a fee. They are probably the ones who sell client databases to the telemarketers.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

I'm 95% certain my phone is hot-mic'd for advertising purposes. I had a conversation with another person in a car who referenced a product I hadn't heard of and didn't search subsequently. It started showing up in Google ads shortly thereafter. 6 mos later it happened again
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Topic author
DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:I'm 95% certain my phone is hot-mic'd for advertising purposes. I had a conversation with another person in a car who referenced a product I hadn't heard of and didn't search subsequently. It started showing up in Google ads shortly thereafter. 6 mos later it happened again
A few months ago my wife went to Marshall's and saw a deal on dog beds. She didn't talk to anybody about it, she didn't web search or text about them, she didn't buy one, she just stopped in the aisle and looked at them for a bit. As soon as she came out of the store she started getting ads for dog beds.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

Sangoma wrote:With the proliferation of social media and smartphones privacy is an oxymoron. I now regularly get cold marketing phone calls on my cellphone. My phone provider offers the service to block such calls... for a fee. They are probably the ones who sell client databases to the telemarketers.
Any mobile phone (and I'm talking about the real ancient ones, the Nokias 3310 and even older models) is a real-time tracking device. Your operator's network needs to know where the fuck you are in any given moment so you can place and receive calls.

So anybody's privacy was already a joke waaaaaaay before the smartphone was even invented.
You ever seen a cycling plumber who wrestles with small calves, forearms and neck? Didn't think so.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Borrow your friend's phone, and do a quick 100 google searches for feminine hygiene products.
Don’t believe everything you think.

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 »

I have a free account on a financial site and today was looking at a comment I made yesterday on an article. Somehow they put a pic of my smiling, naked 1 y.o. grandson getting a bath as my profile pic. That had to come off my phone or my google email account.

kreator

Post by kreator »

I used to work in advertising and designed/sold some of the tech that does all this. It can be creepy to find out this stuff but it's pretty easy to combat it.
Clear your cookies and reset your apple ad ID before you log into any sites (Facebook or otherwise) on the same browser. Check the limit ad tracking button in ios.
Never allow an app to use your location unless you absolutely need it (google maps is an example).

A lot of companies have ways to share cookie data (like search engine) and once it gets tied to a login (like you login to Facebook) then you're kinda screwed since it's connected to a real name and they know you anywhere you login to FB

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

You wouldn't believe the amount of advertisements I get for fly fishing gear companies, not just on Facebook, but on websites which have nothing to do with fishing LOL the little ads in the ad panes just pop up with deals from Orvis, Allen, Sage... Yet another reason why I'm not allowed to surf the Net while drunk. It's so easy for them to pop deals up in my face and the next thing I know, Sober Kenny X is checking the mail, and discovering Drunk Kenny X bought him a brand new Allen Fly Fishing Atlas reel. And these days I can't afford any of that nonsense.

Boris

Post by Boris »

I did a google search about gas mileage about old Honda CRX's that got something like 50mpg.

Now I get spam about Hondas...

I love the internet, but I lived before the internet and I could live without it again - a lot of spam would be enough to make me severely curb my usage. I realize that won't make anyone shake in their boots - just sayin'.

Boris

Post by Boris »

Kind on the same topic (pain-in-the-ass-marketing): I've threatened to never donate blood again if the freaking donation center doesn't quit calling me....

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 »

If you ever decide to give to a charity- do it as anomalously as possible - those assholes will call back every single day wanting more money.

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 »

climber511 wrote:If you ever decide to give to a charity- do it as anomalously as possible - those assholes will call back every single day wanting more money.
I've regularly given modest donations to Police and Firefighters' charities and the boys in blue are now calling me from cities in several different states now. Calls from early morning to 9 p.m. at night even weekends.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

DrDonkeyLove wrote:
Grandpa's Spells wrote:I'm 95% certain my phone is hot-mic'd for advertising purposes. I had a conversation with another person in a car who referenced a product I hadn't heard of and didn't search subsequently. It started showing up in Google ads shortly thereafter. 6 mos later it happened again
A few months ago my wife went to Marshall's and saw a deal on dog beds. She didn't talk to anybody about it, she didn't web search or text about them, she didn't buy one, she just stopped in the aisle and looked at them for a bit. As soon as she came out of the store she started getting ads for dog beds.
Foursquare
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Facebook messenger does this (I think)
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

DikTracy6000 wrote:I have a free account on a financial site and today was looking at a comment I made yesterday on an article. Somehow they put a pic of my smiling, naked 1 y.o. grandson getting a bath as my profile pic. That had to come off my phone or my google email account.
That's really creepy. How do you think they knew which kid on your computer was your grandson?
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

kreator

Post by kreator »

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:
DrDonkeyLove wrote:
Foursquare
Turn off your GPS and location services for any and all applications unless you absolutely need it.
Some stores have installed beacons in strategically-valuable locations, which some apps on your phone will automatically check-in with. An app detecting a beacon in the dog bed aisle will have you checked in the box for "dog bed hand-raiser".

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

climber511 wrote:If you ever decide to give to a charity- do it as anomalously as possible - those assholes will call back every single day wanting more money.
That's why I never donate to this place.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.