Hobbies and such

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Hobbies and such

Post by Dunn »

While I know that fitness tends to be the common denominator here, I was curious if any of you assholes had any other hobbies besides working out and reminiscing about your golden days here? I know some of you fags are probably all into things like macramé, scrapbooking, and tea set collecting.
Myself, I like woodworking with a special interest in wood lathe work, turning everything from bowls to my own Indian clubs.

So let's hear them. Show off of you feel so inclined.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Re: Hobbies and such

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Dunn wrote:While I know that fitness tends to be the common denominator here, I was curious if any of you assholes had any other hobbies besides working out and reminiscing about your golden days here? I know some of you fags are probably all into things like macramé, scrapbooking, and tea set collecting.
Myself, I like woodworking with a special interest in wood lathe work, turning everything from bowls to my own Indian clubs.

Which you were closer so I could give you my lathe...needs a good home.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Topic author
Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Dunn wrote:While I know that fitness tends to be the common denominator here, I was curious if any of you assholes had any other hobbies besides working out and reminiscing about your golden days here? I know some of you fags are probably all into things like macramé, scrapbooking, and tea set collecting.

Which you were closer so I could give you my lathe...needs a good home.
PM.....

milosz

Post by milosz »

I tend to cycle through shit and it subsides into the background then peeks back up -

I got really into cooking for a while then making my own bread, now I'm lazy and 99% of my cooking is roasting vegetables and grilling meat. Being single doesn't help that - cooking and baking are panty-droppers, no one to drop panties why bother?

I used to shoot quite a bit but ammo is godawful these days, even .22, and my only range option is indoor. Static targets are boring.

Photography is a standby, though it's not the same working digitally vs. the darkroom in college.

I have a really nice Fender Jaguar but I'm only capable of making atrocious noise every so often for stress relief.

Topic author
Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

Here's a sapele wood bowl I'm finishing up.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (111.31 KiB) Viewed 10206 times

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

Cooking. I have a long way to go, but I'm pretty good on the grill.

Kirk
Gunny

Post by Kirk »

I sold my tablesaw, jointer, planer, routers, lathe, etc, etc for a song a year or two ago. There was just not enough room for everything in my 1 car garage. I hope to get back to it when I retire. I didn't completely empty the garage though. There's a 16 Beta XTrainer 300, 00 Kawasaki KX250, 03 Kawasaki KDX220, 09 Kawasaki Versys, 08 Honda CBR1000RR and the tools to work on them still in the garage plus a tire changer and a couple little bikes (Yamaha TTR125E and Honda XR80R) in the shed. I go out dirt riding when I can (here's a little hill section I recorded using a cheap garmin action cam I just picked up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FEIres86PQ) and commute by motorcycle every day.

In the house I've got a few guitars and have been spending the last year trying to get back to where I can play ok. With some things I'm trying to actually do better than when I was a kid who played guitar several hours a day instead of doing homework. The current project is to get some decent alternate picking technique down. Once I've got that to a reasonable level I plan to move to getting my ear back together (maybe figuring out a song or two per day) and working on improvising solos over different changes. This is all for my own enjoyment as I don't really have an outlet for my playing any more.

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki »

Biggest one is home brewing. Beer, mead, cider, wines from kits. Some of the beers are from kits, some aren't.

Used to do a fair amount of kayaking around the Baltimore Harbor and parts of the Bay. Need to get back into that.
"The reason that 'guru' is such a popular word is because 'charlatan' is so hard to spell."
@GSElevator: Can we please stop calling them hipsters and go back to calling them pussies?
Blood eagles solve everything.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

I play guitar.

Very.

VERY.

Poorly.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

I make marshmallow rabbits

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

I got into woodworking about a year ago, mostly using hand tools. The nice thing about the hobby is that I don't always need a big chunk of time to do it. Even if I only have 10 minutes, I can go down to my basement and turn a piece of wood into smaller pieces of wood.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Boris

Post by Boris »

Unfortunately, the only hobby I do consistently that doesn't require an abundance of time and money is lifting.

I try to read as much as I can - never as much as I want.

Someday, I'd like to take up 3-gun, quilting, and ukulele. 3-gun is highly unlikely for me, but it sure looks fun.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Hobbies have kinda slid the last year as my son was born 7/2015. I just quit improv and sketch comedy as the hours don't mesh with parenting infants. I like kayaking & BBQ. Doing a weekend pistol course next month.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

I want to do some woodworking. Pre-kidlets I played mandolin and did some amateur instrument repair. Doing some very occasional shooting, reloading (I have some stuff in calibers you can't buy at WalMart) and light gunsmithing. I cook a lot, so I like to make our everyday meals actually tasty. Latest project is R&Ding classic cocktails for the wife and I after the kids are in bed. Gradually building a personal recipe book. The wife appreciates this one, except she complains she can't order them in restaurants because they're not as good.
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape »

Between work and the kid my time is pretty limited, alas. I haven't managed to keep up with a lot of my old hobbies.

I have been enjoying the formal study of rhetoric: Aristotle, Cicero, Puttenham, et al. I don't know if this is entirely a hobby, since it's partly for my work, but it's been fun.

Up until a few months ago I would've said computer gaming, but I haven't felt the pull for a while.

Fuck, I got boring.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Other than BJJ, GS, bicycling, running, etc I drink coffee, read, and listen to podcasts.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Destroying local trails on my mountain bike (this is an obsession really), general carpentry around the house (I really want to learn so much more...I'd like to start building furniture), landscaping and other similar projects around my yard (my next project is a fire pit), breaking out the chainsaw when possible and when it's needed, any projects in the house (I need to remodel my daughters bathroom), and any chance I get to put a wrench in my hand. I like cordless drills a lot too. Almost all of these activities include my cooler being full of beer and music playing.

Basically any reason to be outside and/or in the woods. I've also gotten back into a little fishing with my son and younger daughter.

I just recently got back into reading. I used to be very avid but got out of it. I have a ton of books on my reading list.

Trip

Post by Trip »

Trout fishing.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Boat building, I've built 5 kayaks and am starting on a sailboat. Also, getting back into R/C slope soaring.

Also, starting to flight instruct again, on the civilian side. Just got my military competency CFII rating. Get someone else to pay for my flying.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

nafod wrote:Boat building, I've built 5 kayaks and am starting on a sailboat.
What model sailboat? I started a strip baidarka but didn't finish it. CLC has some really cool ones.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

I cook, and do that fairly well, by all accounts of those who dine with me.

Busted out my bow for the first time in 3-4 years, with my left knee repaired, I will be able to hunt, and my buddy and I are setting blinds vs. stands on his property, to take care of my right knee (NFW can I do a tree stand, I can get up to one, but getting back down after several hours of sitting won't happen well). Deer are everywhere on his new property, so I am looking forward to that.

I bought a big set of DeWalt power tools earlier this year and want to learn how to build furniture, of all things. One of my other buddies is a motorcycle designer (formerly with Harley D, now with Indian/Polaris) and he's a flat out artist, not just with bikes, but with anything he puts his mind to, and has offered to help me.

I play Chess with my 7 y/o son, early, every morning, 7 days a week.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

That's awesome. I can't recall the town we used to go to on coastal NC (north of Wilmington, north of J-ville for that matter), but there was a boat building place there with an open door, and we'd always go and watch them work. Very impressive.

Really Big Strong Guy

Post by Really Big Strong Guy »

Other than my sport, I hunt. I also enjoy hiking. Family owns a good deal of property and since my mother passed a few years back, I spend every weekend with my father hunting - squirrel, coon, deer, and bear. Started bow hunting again last year. I am a miserable shot, much to my father's enjoyment. Sincerely enjoy muzzle load hunting.
The cool thing about training is that becoming more sexy is just a side effect........

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
What model sailboat? I started a strip baidarka but didn't finish it. CLC has some really cool ones.
Goat Island Skiff. Super simple to build, yet appears to sail well.
http://www.storerboatplans.com/GIS/GISplan.html

Picture of some dude sailing his.

As I make mistakes while building them, I keep reminding myself that they aren't works of art, they're boats. I've beaten the crap out of my main sea kayak, and multiple mods (added fins) and repairs on the surf kayak. The good news if you can build it you can fix it. These guys built the same design. Not seeing much surf.

Don’t believe everything you think.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Hats off and dicks out in admiration. You guys are some dynamic motherfuckers.

Shit. I'm hella boring. Huge respect for folks like Nafod that can keep the focus for long arc hobby stuff. The boat thing is on my list...but my list is long and life is short.

Basically, I compete and train in a strength sport usually one at a time and my side hustle is coaching folks doing the same.

So, at this point, I'll do some shooting with the kids, work on one of the too many trucks, noodle around on the Mountainbikes or one of the motorcycles, do some carpentry and woodworking (I like making gates and replicating old house trim/cove/base molding profiles on the table saw. I also learning to get decent at concrete countertops and I make about one atlas stone a month..find working with concrete super soothing....love that shit.

With my kids in that tween/teen busy stage, it's all I can do to keep up with whatever is fascinating them at the moment. Looking forward to winter when I can empty my cup in a new pursuit maybe. Maybe back to the velodrome or on the mats.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill