IT knuckleheads...Clinton emails on Wiener Laptop

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

IT knuckleheads...Clinton emails on Wiener Laptop

Post by nafod »

My theory is Abedin was an idiot for marrying an idiot. After that, she probably used something like Outlook that downloaded and cached her inbox off of the Clinton Basement Server System? It wouldn't drag all the shit over using just a webmail interface?

Or maybe the Wiener was reading Abedin's email? Knew her passwords? Wouldn't that be the shit?
Don’t believe everything you think.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: IT knuckleheads...Clinton emails on Wiener Laptop

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

nafod wrote:My theory is Abedin was an idiot for marrying an idiot. After that, she probably used something like Outlook that downloaded and cached her inbox off of the Clinton Basement Server System? It wouldn't drag all the shit over using just a webmail interface?
Webmail is hosted in the cloud. She likely had some kind of mail client like Outlook installed, which was pulling down email to that machine from the server.

It's probably not a Gmail/Hotmail/Yahoo account as those are usually web-based.

However, if it was pulling all her mail down, it would have been pulling the mail down the same way across all her devices. So it seems unlikely the FBI would find anything new, unless she had a personal account also hooked up to Outlook that was also being used for work. My dad does this at his office -- pulls one of his Gmail accounts down to Outlook so his mail is all in one place.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

nafod wrote:
Or maybe the Wiener was reading Abedin's email? Knew her passwords? Wouldn't that be the shit?
Nothing says "Carlos Danger" like a dick pic taken in front of classified information.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

From the website of someone who might know. I sure don't.

Drop down to the BOMBSHELL post.

http://market-ticker.org
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

johno wrote:From the website of someone who might know. I sure don't.

Doesn't make sense. Deleting email from server and all inboxes is trivial.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Pinky wrote:
nafod wrote:
Nothing says "Carlos Danger" like a dick pic taken in front of classified information.
Meh. A dick pic co-featuring a toddler is pretty much rock bottom. I hope GP is in his future.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
johno wrote:From the website of someone who might know. I sure don't.

Doesn't make sense. Deleting email from server and all inboxes is trivial.
But you'd have to do it.

I see this on my email, where I use IMAP and I have a desktop, a travel laptop, and I also use a webmail interface. If I have deleted emails from the desktop/IMAP server, when I log onto the laptop, I can watch them being deleted as they sync up. If I fire up the laptop sans network, they live until I delete locally or connect up.

But I move most emails out of my synced inbox and onto local store. I now use the web interface instead of Outlook to avoid all that syncing.

Again, the idea of deleting emails from any one spot and thinking they are actually gone? They are emails. Unless you sent them to yourself and they never left the server, they will live on forever.

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

They said on CNN of all places that the emails were new ones that hadnt been turned over.
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki »

The hot rumor for a few hours on Twitter about 3-4 weeks ago was that Anonymous had the 33,000 that got deleted and had turned them over to Wikileaks. The theory was they'd drop it on Guy Fawkes Day, which is tomorrow. Now the guy behind the website Johno quoted is doing a countdown of sorts on his Twitter feed.

Beyond what Johno had:

https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=231604
What is a DKIM key? It is a cryptographic signature. It does not prove that the person who claimed to have sent the email actually did so (someone could have hacked their account) but it does mean, with an extremely high degree of certainty, that the actual message displayed is what was sent because it is virtually impossible to tamper with a message and yet have the DKIM key validate.

Further, since the email provider owns the DKIM private key used to generate the signature you can't tamper with that ex-post-facto either.
Which Wikileaks is now putting stuff out like this and using it to confirm (EDIT) some of the emails.

https://www.wikileaks.org/DKIM-Verification.html
"The reason that 'guru' is such a popular word is because 'charlatan' is so hard to spell."
@GSElevator: Can we please stop calling them hipsters and go back to calling them pussies?
Blood eagles solve everything.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

I don't see how the Drip, Drip, Drip stops before Election Day. For the Smartest Woman in History, she sure botched this.

...sort of like Iraq, Egypt, Libya, Syria, et al...
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

I think Assange is dead. They wrapped up his network and then cut his internet and took him. He tweeted out the codes to empty space. Someone diff had the twitter account and refused to confirm authenticity. The leaks seem very mild compared to what was promised.

Yes I Have Balls

Post by Yes I Have Balls »

tough old man wrote:They said on CNN of all places that the emails were new ones that hadnt been turned over.
Of course without a court order, no one knows this.

Yes I Have Balls

Post by Yes I Have Balls »

I thought people here were smart enough not to trust emails stolen (and doctored?) by Russian and filtered through Wikileaks? I honestly thought there was enough skepticism/cynical curiosity not to just swallow what Putin gives you.

For many it seems, I underestimated your taste for Russian cock. Now that's privilege.

Edit: Also, anyone stupid enough to go to Wikileaks page deserves to have their computer hacked as well.

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Re: IT knucklehea ds...Clinton emails on Wiener Laptop

Post by tough old man »

Wiki was a hero to the libs a few years ago.
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Everything trotted out in this election is bullshit and theater. Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

tough old man wrote:Wiki was a hero to the libs a few years ago.
Here's where my opinion of wiki went south, and here is what I think is going on.

First, no way the Russians just hacked the democrats. They hacked the republicans too, because why on Earth wouldn't they? They got all that shit.

They are only releasing the dem damaging stuff. Why? They, the Russians and Julian Assange, want the repubs to win. A foreign government is directly manipulating our election.

What about the repub emails and stuff? That is for after the election, when they can blackmail the winner. Maybe a little arm twisting now.

Just imagine all the shit they've got on The Donald. He thinks he can suppress with non-disclosures and $$$ anything. See the story this morning about how Donald's suck buddy who owns The National Enquirer paid $150K to Donald's mistress for "lifetime exclusive rights to any story about fucking married men", with of course a financial penalty for violating it.

Heh. Russians won't give a fuck about that legal niceness. Donald is going to have to give them something else for their silence.

He already is (He says "we don't actually know it was Russian hackers - could be some fat guy in his bedroom" after being briefed by our Intel professionals)

It's the smart play.

So fuck the Russians for meddling, fuck wiki for selectively helping, and fuck the alt-right for slurping up the Russians' hacking spooge.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

nafod wrote: First, no way the Russians just hacked the democrats. They hacked the republicans too, because why on Earth wouldn't they? They got all that shit.
i'd been wondering about that.

i'm averse to conspiracy theories, but your account of how they'll have something to hold over the donald's head is intriguing. it seems odd that assange would be a pal to the russians.

i also saw the thing about the nat enquirer withholding the story about donald boinking the playboy model. does anyone care any more about the many locations to which donald's rogue dick has traveled?
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

The man in black
Staff Sergeant

Post by The man in black »

I was under the impression that Julian's motivation was to expose everything wrong with a single party and see where the votes land. Unfortunately he decided to do this during an election where each party hosted a candidate that could soundly be defeated by everyone except the opposing candidate.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

Nafod's Russian conspiracy strikes me as entirely possible, but it's also plausible that there really is less dirt in the Republican emails simply because they're not as organized as the Democrats. It's pretty clear that no party insiders anointed Trump from the beginning.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud »

Pinky wrote:Nafod's Russian conspiracy strikes me as entirely possible, but it's also plausible that there really is less dirt in the Republican emails simply because they're not as organized as the Democrats. It's pretty clear that no party insiders anointed Trump from the beginning.
Thus, perhaps they (Russkies) simply haven't had sufficient time.

It's also possible they'd love nothing more than to have Trump take office, then release stuff sufficient to get him impeached, throwing our political system into turmoil. (As if it weren't already.)

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

Pinky wrote:Nafod's Russian conspiracy strikes me as entirely possible, but it's also plausible that there really is less dirt in the Republican emails simply because they're not as organized as the Democrats. It's pretty clear that no party insiders anointed Trump from the beginning.
GOP Party big shots don't like Trump. They don't have ties with him. A lot of people think that the Party is going to do the Trump what they did to Goldwater in 1964.

How does Trump benefit the Russians? He changes his mind so damn much who knows what he's thinking? The man is a loose cannon. Would Russians want a loose cannon controlling our nukes? They would want a steadier hand, like Hillary's.
Don't like yourself too much.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Turned out as expected.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

by that do you mean it was rigged?
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.