do you get a flu shot?

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

do you get a flu shot?

Post by dead man walking »

i did not and wish i had. i'm five days into this thing, and it's still unpleasant.

i did check web md, et al to see whether my illness might be pneumonia. probably not. lung cancer. probably not. insofar as i can tell there is no adult-onset cystic fibrosis. so flu is the likely affliction.

did you get your shot?
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Re: do you get a flu shot?

Post by Kenny X »

I have never gotten a flu shot.

But this isn't one of those "I never get flu shots and I never get sick with the flu so nobody needs them" type of responses.

I got real lucky and dodged the bullet with the flu, this season. Mrs. Kenny X contracted it from school, all the kids are passing it around, and I was exposed here at home. Frankly, I'm amazed that I didn't come down with it, too. And I know this sounds like horse shit, but I honestly believe that one factor for my not getting the flu from her was my trying to have a positive mental attitude and keep her comfortable here while she was recovering. Being pregnant, and getting the flu, must suck. I was a total mother hen with her LOL And I think that keeping a positive attitude about it, drinking Vitamin D fortified OJ in the morning and then in the evening with my nightly maintenance dose of tequila, and trying to get at least 7 hours of sleep a night, and exercising, kept me safe.

All that said- next season I'm not fucking around. I'm getting the innoculation. 100% on board with flu shots for me from now on, to sho!

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

I get one every year because I'm required to. I have to mainline Airborne or I get sick though.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

I get one every year. Never a negative reaction. So far no flu. Cheap too.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

I get flue shots because I have a preschooler and I teach college students, who are almost as good at spreading disease as preschoolers. I get colds and sinus infections, but can't remember the last time I had the flu.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

I do. Last time i had the flu i literally thought i was going to die alone in my apartment. Lasted a week. That was 20 years ago and it still scares me.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

Turdacious wrote:I get one every year because I'm required to. I have to mainline Airborne or I get sick though.
That's what initially deterred me from getting the shot- that some folks actually get sick from it. I'm not worried about that now though. I figure it like this, I just turned 38 and it's better to make my immune system work for a living, by getting vaccinated, rather than just sit on its ass until The Big One comes along.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

syaigh wrote:I do. Last time i had the flu i literally thought i was going to die alone in my apartment. Lasted a week. That was 20 years ago and it still scares me.
Gee wiz guh!

Topic author
dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

syaigh wrote:I do. Last time i had the flu i literally thought i was going to die alone in my apartment. Lasted a week. That was 20 years ago and it still scares me.
i felt much better on the third day, so went outside and put in a couple of hours of work.

the next day i had whole-body doms.

this experience makes me wonder whether i should get myself a shingles vaccine. my sister-in-law got shingles. said it was horrible.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

dead man walking wrote:
i felt much better on the third day, so went outside and put in a couple of hours of work.

this experience makes me wonder whether i should get myself a shingles vaccine. my sister-in-law got shingles. said it was horrible.
Get it. Get the pneumonia one too.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

DrDonkeyLove wrote:
dead man walking wrote:

Shingles vaccine? That's a thing? And is there an age where you're too young for the shingles vaccine? My grand dad and dad had them and I want nothing to do with that shit.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Kenny X wrote:
DrDonkeyLove wrote:
dead man walking wrote:

Shingles vaccine? That's a thing? And is there an age where you're too young for the shingles vaccine? My grand dad and dad had them and I want nothing to do with that shit.
No.

Get it.

I've had Shingles on my head and neck, Meningitis and Pneumonia...all three I'd put in a similar category. It's so shitty you want to die, but you're so raggedy you can;t imaging actually pulling it off. Get the vaccine.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Never have because "I never get sick." Realized I spend a good portion of the winter sick due to my son bringing stuff home. Probably going to start.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Kenny X wrote:
DrDonkeyLove wrote:
dead man walking wrote:

60 for insurance to pay for it. Not sure when it really should happen. If you haven't had chicken pox, you're home free from what I hear.

Topic author
dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

here's what the internet says:
Shingles is caused by the varicella-zoster virus — the same virus that causes chickenpox. After you've had chickenpox, the virus lies inactive in nerve tissue near your spinal cord and brain. Years later, the virus may reactivate as shingles.
i had chickenpox as a kid, so i suppose i'm vulnerable.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Flu shot - No. It varies from year to year, based on nothing but my orneriness level.

Pneumonia shot - Yes. I think I can get the new upgrade this year. I'll check, but I will get it.

Shingles shot - Yes. Every person I've known who has had shingles said it was excruciating. And long-lasting. That scared me.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

Looks like the old boy Kenny X is gonna be getting some shots this week! Thanks guys!

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

johno wrote:Shingles shot - Yes. Every person I've known who has had shingles said it was excruciating. And long-lasting. That scared me.

I hit a bench and a squat PR with it on my head and in my eye....so not all downside.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Shingles 4 Gainz
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Boris

Post by Boris »

I get the flu shot most years. Can't say for 100% that it has kept me healthy, but I'm a sucker for shots.

I'll look into the shingles and pneumonia vaccines - I didn't know that getting them was so common. Thank you.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

johno wrote:Shingles 4 Gainz

I developed this theory doing 2-4 hour MTB races hung over...When you already feel like hammered dogshit, there's nothing you're body is capable of that will likely make you feel worse....might as well go hard, it hurts just as much to slow down.

Lots and lots of DL pr's by people on the verge of getting sick or with a slight fever. Not sure why and how it works but it does.

judobrian

Post by judobrian »

Flu shot. Every year, would even if it weren't required and free. I put people on life support every frickin' year that turn out to have the flu.

The "I get the flu when I get the flu shot" argument. No, you don't. The flu shot engenders an immune reaction, a distant early warning for your lymphocytes. Sometimes, in some people, that immune reaction is robust, and you feel like crud. When you get injected with dead virus, you don't get a zombie flu infection.

Shingles shot. Sometimes you get exposed to varicella (the virus that causes chicken pox and shingles) without knowing it, so just because you don't recall having chicken pox doesn't mean your nerve cells aren't harboring the virus (those traitors).

Pneumonia vaccine. Not perfect, but better and better coverage each iteration.
Rain don't change the sun...

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

Every year. A few years ago I missed it and damn if I didn't come down with the flu.
Tantum validus superstes