Wash Post tries to lull us about Deep State

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
JimZipCode

Wash Post tries to lull us about Deep State

Post by JimZipCode »

“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Re: Wash Post tries to lull us about Deep State

Post by Turdacious »

There are certainly issues with an entrenched bureaucracy, but that doesn't mean that the proposals to reform it are any good.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Turdacious wrote:There are certainly issues with an entrenched bureaucracy, but that doesn't mean that the proposals to reform it are any good.
There are issues with outsourcing to contractors too. Snowden was a contractor, and it looks like the CIA leak was a contractor.

Messy business.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

A decent, non-specific, read on teh topic:
For at least three decades, politicians and the public have called for “civil service reform” without a strategic view of what that might look like. Some see it as increasing accountability, others see it as streamlining and empowering employees, while yet others see it as making it easier to fire poor performers.

But little seems to happen. There have been dozens of studies and reports over the past three decades. However, there has not been a major overhaul since 1978, and many piecemeal legislative efforts, such as performance pay and streamlining the classification system, have been derailed.
http://www.govexec.com/excellence/promi ... rm/135855/

Take the serially FUBAR VHA-- would firing criminally negligent managers actually improve the organization's overall poor performance?
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

nafod wrote:
Turdacious wrote:There are certainly issues with an entrenched bureaucracy, but that doesn't mean that the proposals to reform it are any good.
There are issues with outsourcing to contractors too. Snowden was a contractor, and it looks like the CIA leak was a contractor.

Messy business.
I know multiple contractors who have been fired for being too efficient.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

The need for civil service reform is obvious to anyone who's spent time in the DC area, as are the reasons it doesn't happen (politics + Federal employees' union).

But going from there to this "Deep State" horseshit is laughable. The entrenched interests stopping reform of Federal agencies aren't secretly trying to run the government. They're not-so-secretly trying to avoid doing any work while still receiving one or two pay raises per year.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

The whole fucking schtick about super spies, super soldiers, super spec ops is flat out fiction, and so is this super fucking competent "deep state" bureaucracy mythology.

Fuck, it's been said before, but I wish there was a super competent deep state secret government pulling the strings.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:The whole fucking schtick about super spies, super soldiers, super spec ops is flat out fiction, and so is this super fucking competent "deep state" bureaucracy mythology.

Fuck, it's been said before, but I wish there was a super competent deep state secret government pulling the strings.
It would be a huge relief for everyone that there was some secret cabal of hyper-competent illuminated-ones running the world, as opposed to the venal, barely articulate assclowns we see on TV.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

WildGorillaMan wrote:
Shafpocalypse Now wrote:The whole fucking schtick about super spies, super soldiers, super spec ops is flat out fiction, and so is this super fucking competent "deep state" bureaucracy mythology.

It would be a huge relief for everyone that there was some secret cabal of hyper-competent illuminated-ones running the world, as opposed to the venal, barely articulate assclowns we see on TV.
That's a mirror you are staring at, my friend. :-"
Don’t believe everything you think.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

WildGorillaMan wrote:

doesn't the tri-lateral commision run the world?
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

dead man walking wrote: doesn't the tri-lateral commision run the world?
Clearly you mean the Bilderburgers.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:
dead man walking wrote: doesn't the tri-lateral commision run the world?
Clearly you mean the Bilderburgers.
They've always been an underrated restaurant chain.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Sassenach
ironslinger

Post by Sassenach »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:
This is what people don't get about the government and public policy in general - it's fucking complicated and hard to get it right. There's no deep-state trying to foment a quiet coup - it's just a bunch of career public policy and public service people trying to do (and keep) their goddamn jobs and keep the toddler we elected from tumbling the whole thing over with an ill-thought out twitter tantrum.

This is a good listen:
http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/02/20/tru ... reaucracy/
Kazuya Mishima wrote:they can pry the bacon from my cold dead hand.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

A culture of paranoia is consuming the Trump administration, with staffers increasingly preoccupied with perceived enemies—inside their own government. In interviews, nearly a dozen White House aides and federal agency staffers described a litany of suspicions: that rival factions in the administration are trying to embarrass them, that civil servants opposed to President Donald Trump are trying to undermine him, and even that a “deep state” of career military and intelligence officials is out to destroy them.
https://secure.politico.com/story/2017/ ... oia-236069