My death redux, because I need a new refrigerator and stove.

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

My death redux, because I need a new refrigerator and stove.

Post by seeahill »

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Re: My death redux, because I need a new refrigerator and stove.

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Best written posthumous autobiographical story of all time.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Topic author
seeahill

Post by seeahill »

Thanks, Doc.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

That was great, right up until I fell asleep. Kind of petite mort? :rolleyes:

Kidding, thanks for linking to it. Had to comment on this:
Sometimes I wake up at my desk and realize that I’ve been working for three hours. But it feels like it was 30 minutes. I think I went somewhere for a while and consulted the Great Story Arc. ...

I am not alone in this thought. In his 1990 book Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience, the Hungarian psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi was the first to put a name to the states that painters, craftsmen, athletes, and physicians, among others, all experience while working. He described flow as “being completely involved in an activity for its own sake. The ego falls away. Time flies. Every action, movement, and thought follows inevitably from the previous one, like playing jazz. Your whole being is involved, and you’re using your skills to the utmost.”
There's another kind of school of thought that says this drive to make a story out of our lives, to stick a narrative to it, is absolutely core to us, but also leads to a lot of grief. As our story goes off the rails, who we thought we are...we aren't.

Much of what is great about "flow" is setting aside that narrative and just being, living in the moment. But your in the moment "flow" comes from writing the narrative that you are also escaping...while writing the narrative. Creating your reality and giving it (a new?) meaning? World building? An odd thought.
Don’t believe everything you think.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

seeahill is a talent. we're fortunate he posts here.

narrative is a tricky thing. it creates a truth, but it also can alter or disguise the truth. it can make plausible something that isn't entirely "true." people far less accomplished than seeahill regularly imagine narratives about themselves and others to justify and explain their lives.

by the way, can you actually have "died," if you're still alive today?
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

I am reminded of a Cary Grant quote something like "I pretended to be the man I wanted to be, until in the end, I became him."
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

Topic author
seeahill

Post by seeahill »

nafod wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:03 pm That was great, right up until I fell asleep. Kind of petite mort? :rolleye

Much of what is great about "flow" is setting aside that narrative and just being, living in the moment. But your in the moment "flow" comes from writing the narrative that you are also escaping...while writing the narrative. Creating your reality and giving it (a new?) meaning? World building? An odd thought.
I'd say you're overthinking all that. Don't think about the "narrative" and don't outline. Tell a story. If it evokes emotion in the reader, it has meaning.
dead man walking wrote: seeahill is a talent. we're fortunate he posts here.

This from a guy whose handle is dead man walking?
Schlegel wrote: I am reminded of a Cary Grant quote something like "I pretended to be the man I wanted to be, until in the end, I became him."
Which reminds me of the Kurt Vonnegut quote in Mother Night: We are who we pretend to be.

Meanwhile, as the only undead writer I know, I am working on a TV series about myself. The Writing Dead.

Topic author
seeahill

Post by seeahill »

nafod wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:03 pm That was great, right up until I fell asleep. Kind of petite mort? :rolleye

I'd say you're overthinking all that. Don't think about the "narrative" and don't outline. Tell a story. If it evokes emotion in the reader, it has meaning.
dead man walking wrote:
This from a guy whose handle is dead man walking?
Schlegel wrote: I am reminded of a Cary Grant quote something like "I pretended to be the man I wanted to be, until in the end, I became him."
Which reminds me of the Kurt Vonnegut quote in Mother Night: We are who we pretend to be.

Meanwhile, as the only undead writer I know, I am working on a TV series about myself. The Writing Dead.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

Interesting and all. Reads like a guy rubbernecking his own car crash. Interesting. And definitely engaging.

What I would find more interesting would be foresight. Where are you going at your age with all the adventures you've had? Are there any more worth pursuing? Or will it be more like having a good dog sitting at your feet while you sip good spirits in front of a roaring fire that is not your cabin?

Or do you just keep going?

I have quite a few "older" friends. The happy ones are still vigorously pursuing their passions and lifes work. Its really fucking inspiring.

*by older i mean really old, 80s and more.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Topic author
seeahill

Post by seeahill »

syaigh wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:25 am

What I would find more interesting would be foresight. Where are you going at your age with all the adventures you've had?

That one's easy. I never did this classic trip for two reasons: it was relatively easy and very well known. (And great writers have written well about this trip; I felt I had nothing more to add.) But when I sorta retired, I looked at a trip like this. I really wanted to do it and I wouldn't have to write about it. Hey, It's the kind of thing I love. And I'm good at it.
I did it.

But no, despite the consequences, I regarded it was a pleasure trip. Something I could finally do in retirement.

Dying on the trip was a fluke. You can't imagine the pressure I was under to write about it. (And the escalating pay scale every time I refused.)

Are there any more worth pursuing? Or will it be more like having a good dog sitting at your feet while you sip good spirits in front of a roaring fire that is not your cabin?

The dog at my feet is what I foresee. But, as I may have suggested above, I need a little adrenaline push in my life. I don't want to beat my chest about it, but that's the way I am.

Or do you just keep going?

Long as I can.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Seahill, could you send me your email address? Mine is [email protected]. I tried to pm you, but for some reason my message is still sitting in the outbox.

Topic author
seeahill

Post by seeahill »

Sangoma wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:14 am Seahill, could you send me your email address? Mine is [email protected]. I tried to pm you, but for some reason my message is still sitting in the outbox.
Done. Check your email

If you want to use pm, be sure you have my handle right. It's seeahill. If you looked at a hill, you'd seeahill.