Aging sucks

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Aging sucks

Post by seeahill »

So I'm walking across the street last night, full dark, light snowfall over ice, and I slip and fall on my ass. No problem, maybe smacked an elbow. A young man walking a dog hurrries out to the center of the street. "You OK, man?" Yep. "Well let me help you up." Which is didn't need but didn't want to be churlish. He helped me find a place to sit on the curb. "You Okay," he asks. Yep. "Don't need an ambulance?" Nope. "Okay, good luck."

And the young man walks off into the distance. 6'1", 210, my size back then. And it occurs to me that I am used to being the guy helping. I did it all the time and without a second thought.

Frankly, I was a bit embarrassed about the encounter, so embarrassed, in fact, that I have begun to wonder just what my payback is.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Re: Aging sucks

Post by nafod »

My FIL had similar happen, slipped on ice and about knocked himself out (former infantry paratrooper combat vet). People walked by without stopping to help.

Sucks getting old, glad someone was there for you.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Sorry that happened. I was in a pool locker room a few years back and did one of those wet floor slips where both feet go out, land flat on back, and my head whipped back. I stopped it before it hit the cement floor. It occurred to me that 10 years later that would’ve been a serious hospital trip. 10 years earlier I’d have landed better.

Ugh.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Use it or lose it. But then again, none of us can help the way we look, as 50 - 60 year old dudes. At the end we all die. I know of cases of young fit folk falling and getting damaged badly. At least the Good Samaritan offered help. You can only laugh about it.

Having said that looking old has its upside. Couple of years ago I fucked up my back and could hardly walk. So I walked with a stick for a few days. It's was quite nice: people opening doors for you, offering seats etc. I was contemplating keeping the stick after my back got better.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby »

Sangoma wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:12 am Use it or lose it. But then again, none of us can help the way we look, as 50 - 60 year old dudes. At the end we all die. I know of cases of young fit folk falling and getting damaged badly. At least the Good Samaritan offered help. You can only laugh about it.

Having said that looking old has its upside. Couple of years ago I fucked up my back and could hardly walk. So I walked with a stick for a few days. It's was quite nice: people opening doors for you, offering seats etc. I was contemplating keeping the stick after my back got better.
And you can either get a stick with a gun or a stick with a sword if you get attacked by vampires or wolves!
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

No offense, Tim, but that's why I do the training that I do. I know it's inevitable, but I plan on pushing back the hands of time as long as possible and remaining relatively strong, athletic, and flexible/mobile. I need to get back to training more regularly than I have been.

I'm glad you're okay!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

You should get a walker.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Really Big Strong Guy

Post by Really Big Strong Guy »

Getting old sucks. Part of life. Part of what we have to embrace.

I have been away for a while; got old, got heavy, got fat, got pissed at myself. Never stopped training. Never stopped competing, but I sincerely thought of giving it away because of dwindling performance at the apex of my sport. Still with the top group, but no longer at the head of it; however, I've had glimpses of my former self in that mode.

I don't know what's happened, but within the past 6 months something changed in me. I decided that lifting heavy was not of importance. I've always done my yoga, my mobility, my SMR, my weekly massages, my other recuperative crap (ems/ice/heat) - and I'm relegated to that fact those modalities are becoming the primary part of my training MO. I've also decided that being heavy and abundantly strong is not important. I've completely changed the way I eat and now all my training, save my event work which is my real focus, is performed while I'm fasting. Fuck for the first time in my life, I have will power when it comes to food. I'm serious about slimming down and my body is feeling better because of it.

Related to this, I was having a conversation with one of my two now adult children. She graduates with her B.A. next May; she will graduate summa as she's only gotten 2 Bs during her undergraduate. She was asking me about life, life goals, and what not. She is having trouble deciding what she wants to do and what she wants to be in life. She would make a wonderful litigator like her old man - intelligent, task oriented, goal oriented, passionate, suffers insomnia, loves the fight/competing. However, she has known so many other attorneys who have ended up alcoholics or addicted to harsher substances - so she is tainted on taking it up as a career. I respect that, it's not for everyone.

So I told her, "do what you love, but find a means to an end." She looked at me confused.

I then explained to her that I do enjoy the practice of law; it's a career that's been good to me, but I don't necessarily love it. She then asked me what do I love - she immediately thought my sport, which has been a nice second income despite my not peak performance the past few years. I told her no, it's not the sport. I like it. It's been good to me, but I don't necessarily love it.

I then told her that what I loved was "living for moments that brings me bliss." And what is blissful to you is part of the journey of life.

Still confused, she made me give examples. For me, bliss is pushing my body to it's limit physically, whatever that may be at that point in time. Maybe it's a yoga pose. Maybe it's a set of squats with a certain weight. Maybe it's a captains of crush gripper. Maybe it's walking up a hill. Maybe it's not eating that piece of pie that's so easily accessible. Maybe it's writing the perfect report/brief/email/text message. Maybe it's burying my head into the neck and shoulder of my awesome wife. Maybe it's seeing something I've never seen before. Maybe it's laughing and being joyous. Maybe it's embracing "the suck."

To me, it's those moments that I crave. It's those moments that I want. That's my end. That's what I want. Everything else is just the means to get there.

On a side note, before we had that conversation, I admitted to her that I can't wait until marijuana is legal in our state because I am getting tired of this insomnia. Then I informed her that I felt it was perfectly fine for an adult to "take the edge off" a couple days of the week - just not every day and don't ever become reliant upon it.

But back to Tim, it sucks getting old. Part of our journey. Embrace it. Love it. Give it the finger. It may be embarrassing; but we are who we are and we're still here breathing, so make the most of it. If you got hurt, please heal up fast. If your feelings got hurt, toughen up butter cup.

I swear I should have said "SQUIRREL" after the first sentence. :-k
The cool thing about training is that becoming more sexy is just a side effect........

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

You sound like a good dad. Timmah could have used one.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Topic author
seeahill

Post by seeahill »

Fat Cat wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:36 pm You should get a walker.
I need one with crampons.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

I think this "mishap" is really karma at work primarily because of, when not directly plagiarized, your crappy writing. There's some dude right now sitting in a shitty roach-infested apartment in nowhere USA writing his soul out creating some of the most wonderful words no one has ever read and your sorry ass is getting published on a regular basis. Tell me how this is fair? Alas, the world is a cruel place my snaggle-toothed friend and your slip and fall is but a warning!!

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

This is fantastic.
Really Big Strong Guy wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:04 pm Getting old sucks. Part of life. Part of what we have to embrace.

I have been away for a while; got old, got heavy, got fat, got pissed at myself. Never stopped training. Never stopped competing, but I sincerely thought of giving it away because of dwindling performance at the apex of my sport. Still with the top group, but no longer at the head of it; however, I've had glimpses of my former self in that mode.

I don't know what's happened, but within the past 6 months something changed in me. I decided that lifting heavy was not of importance. I've always done my yoga, my mobility, my SMR, my weekly massages, my other recuperative crap (ems/ice/heat) - and I'm relegated to that fact those modalities are becoming the primary part of my training MO. I've also decided that being heavy and abundantly strong is not important. I've completely changed the way I eat and now all my training, save my event work which is my real focus, is performed while I'm fasting. Fuck for the first time in my life, I have will power when it comes to food. I'm serious about slimming down and my body is feeling better because of it.

Related to this, I was having a conversation with one of my two now adult children. She graduates with her B.A. next May; she will graduate summa as she's only gotten 2 Bs during her undergraduate. She was asking me about life, life goals, and what not. She is having trouble deciding what she wants to do and what she wants to be in life. She would make a wonderful litigator like her old man - intelligent, task oriented, goal oriented, passionate, suffers insomnia, loves the fight/competing. However, she has known so many other attorneys who have ended up alcoholics or addicted to harsher substances - so she is tainted on taking it up as a career. I respect that, it's not for everyone.

So I told her, "do what you love, but find a means to an end." She looked at me confused.

I then explained to her that I do enjoy the practice of law; it's a career that's been good to me, but I don't necessarily love it. She then asked me what do I love - she immediately thought my sport, which has been a nice second income despite my not peak performance the past few years. I told her no, it's not the sport. I like it. It's been good to me, but I don't necessarily love it.

I then told her that what I loved was "living for moments that brings me bliss." And what is blissful to you is part of the journey of life.

Still confused, she made me give examples. For me, bliss is pushing my body to it's limit physically, whatever that may be at that point in time. Maybe it's a yoga pose. Maybe it's a set of squats with a certain weight. Maybe it's a captains of crush gripper. Maybe it's walking up a hill. Maybe it's not eating that piece of pie that's so easily accessible. Maybe it's writing the perfect report/brief/email/text message. Maybe it's burying my head into the neck and shoulder of my awesome wife. Maybe it's seeing something I've never seen before. Maybe it's laughing and being joyous. Maybe it's embracing "the suck."

To me, it's those moments that I crave. It's those moments that I want. That's my end. That's what I want. Everything else is just the means to get there.

On a side note, before we had that conversation, I admitted to her that I can't wait until marijuana is legal in our state because I am getting tired of this insomnia. Then I informed her that I felt it was perfectly fine for an adult to "take the edge off" a couple days of the week - just not every day and don't ever become reliant upon it.

But back to Tim, it sucks getting old. Part of our journey. Embrace it. Love it. Give it the finger. It may be embarrassing; but we are who we are and we're still here breathing, so make the most of it. If you got hurt, please heal up fast. If your feelings got hurt, toughen up butter cup.

I swear I should have said "SQUIRREL" after the first sentence. :-k

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

This is more fantastic. And Shape, I'm sorry your apartment sucks.
Shapecharge wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:02 pm I think this "mishap" is really karma at work primarily because of, when not directly plagiarized, your crappy writing. There's some dude right now sitting in a shitty roach-infested apartment in nowhere USA writing his soul out creating some of the most wonderful words no one has ever read and your sorry ass is getting published on a regular basis. Tell me how this is fair? Alas, the world is a cruel place my snaggle-toothed friend and your slip and fall is but a warning!!

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Dang it I didn't hide that very well.

Topic author
seeahill

Post by seeahill »

Shapecharge wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:42 pm Dang it I didn't hide that very well.
Poor writing skills.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

You should drink more and blame your falls on that.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Come to think of it, you could blame your poor writing on that too.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

seeahill wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:32 pmAnd the young man walks off into the distance. 6'1", 210, my size back then. And it occurs to me that I am used to being the guy helping. I did it all the time and without a second thought.

Frankly, I was a bit embarrassed about the encounter, so embarrassed, in fact, that I have begun to wonder just what my payback is.
Are you saying that you have stopped helping people who fall down? If you saw someone half your age who got their dick dumped in the dirt you wouldn't help?

What made you decide to stop helping people, Tim?
Don't like yourself too much.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

smart post r.b. strong guy

the various bits in this thread almost make this place worth visiting
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

seeahill wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:54 pm
Fat Cat wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:36 pm You should get a walker.
I need one with crampons.
You need one with tampons.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

Well, if you want my two cents, which you probably don't, pay attention.

What are my qualifications for giving advice? None really. At 46, however, I have dinged myself up pretty good and made a solid comeback this year following my own advice. I've also trained a lot of old people and masters lifters.

Anyway, don't accept pain as permanent. Some might be, but a lot can be mitigated if you pay attention to what is causing it. It can be tightness or weakness. The two are intrinsically linked. It can also be a wrong movement pattern that finally stopped working. I can't tell you how many middle aged and older folks I've fixed by strengthening their upper backs and getting them to use their posterior chain, ie train that ass, not your quads. *bolded because in older folks who primarily sit for work (desk work or driving/travelling) these weaknesses cause all kinds of problems and pain in the neck back shoulders, hips, and knees.

Warm up and stretch. We need more as we age, and most of us ignore it.

Volume is your friend, heavy is not. You can accomplish a lot with heavy-ish, not-heavy weights for higher reps. Sets of 8-15, never going to failure is kind of where its at. You can grunt a little, but if you start using momentum and/or swinging the weights to complete the reps, knock it off, its too heavy.

Don't commit to one form of an exercise. If you need to press, then press, but understand that can be with a bar, with dumbbells, with a neutral or pronated or rotating grip, it can be inclined or standing or seated. Squats can be as high as you want as long as you are getting your hips back and using your ass. Get those knees out and hold on to something if you need to. Figure out what works for you and don't worry about being strict. Think about the movement of the joint and not the limits of one exercise.

Machines are totally cool. We should definitely add in some standing or hanging exercises when we can for balance and core stability, but I got my ass handed to me by lying hamstring curls last Spring which tells me that deadlifts were NOT all I needed to do to strengthen my hamstrings.

Whenever I have athletes in the off season, I make them do volume based programs with a lot of bodybuilding type exercises to restore balance and overall strength of large and small muscles alike. I'd been ignoring this advice myself. Finally decided to commit to doing it and hired myself a bodybuilding coach for accountability. best decision ever. I'm committed to this for at least another year, but so far, has reversed debilitating knee and shoulder pain, restored a lot of strength, and the idea of jumping down off a step no longer makes me cringe.

And cardio is important. You don't have to do a lot of it, but you need to do it. 20-30 minutes 4 days a week will set you up nicely. It does work synergistically with the weight training for overall endurance. You won't be as tired, you will have a lot more gas in the tank, and your heart will be healthy. This can just be walking at a brisk pace or jogging on an elliptical. This means you can shovel your driveway without having a heart attack and keep up with the grandkids/nieces/nephews/dogs/cats/hamsters or whatever-small-creatures you enjoy spending time with.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Guys/Gal...uhh, Mak and I have kinda set the stage here for the "right" kind of advice and commentary and this super dogooder, thoughtful, heartfelt shit is really fucking up my mojo. It's making me feel something inside other than the dark void that guides my personal anarchy. I promise, scout's honor, although I was never a scout, that if you start an "I love Timmah" threat I will not shit in it. Well, sorta kinda says the void.

Really Big Strong Guy

Post by Really Big Strong Guy »

Shapecharge wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:53 pm Guys/Gal...uhh, Mak and I have kinda set the stage here for the "right" kind of advice and commentary and this super dogooder, thoughtful, heartfelt shit is really fucking up my mojo. It's making me feel something inside other than the dark void that guides my personal anarchy. I promise, scout's honor, although I was never a scout, that if you start an "I love Timmah" threat I will not shit in it. Well, sorta kinda says the void.
Understood. Tough love is the new not cool in today's pussy foot sensitive society. Perhaps, bluntness is needed to sustain those of us with voids. We all have them......but some of us shun them. Instead we find the flowers, sunshine and rainbows........yep,......pussy I am.

Timmah need support?
The cool thing about training is that becoming more sexy is just a side effect........

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

The heart of the matter has already been explored by the IGx poet laureate.
Hey guys...this is sort of an embarrassing confession, but I live a double life as a cross dressing, fossil fucker. I've been seeing this old coot for about three dates, and things are starting to heat up. The problem is that he has no idea that I'm a man...he didn't even think it was odd that I almost beat him at arm wrestling the other night. Anyways, he's made it pretty clear that he wants to take it to the next level, and while I really like nothing more than a Viagra fueled cock up my arse...I just REALLY don't feel it with this guy. I tried to scare him off by telling him that I have hepatitis c in an email, and I haven't heard back yet.

So, what do I do if he doesn't take the hint. He's been through a lot the last few years with cabins burning down and shit. Should I tell him that I has Teh AIDZ? Do I show him my cock? Or, just tell him that he's not my type?
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

Shape baby, I hear you. So, this is for all of you.
Attachments
f sensitivity.png
f sensitivity.png (280.42 KiB) Viewed 7233 times
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.