Let's See How Much Traction This One Gets

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Let's See How Much Traction This One Gets

Post by Turdacious »

Author Natasha Tynes has ignited a firestorm on social media, where she criticized a black Metro employee for eating on the train and reported the woman to transit officials.

Tynes, a Jordanian-American writer and World Bank employee in Washington, tweeted a photo of the woman Friday, showing the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority employee in uniform, eating on the Red Line. Tynes tagged the WMATA account, reporting that when she confronted the woman for breaking Metro rules, the woman replied, “worry about yourself.”

“When you’re on your morning commute & see @wmata employee in UNIFORM eating on the train,” Tynes tweeted. “I thought we were not allowed to eat on the train. This is unacceptable. Hope @wmata responds."

The backlash was swift on Twitter, where people have been calling out the self-described “minority writer” for publicly shaming a black woman and trying to get her into trouble. Amid the uproar, Tynes apologized, saying she was “truly sorry” for the tweet, which she acknowledged had been deleted. By early Saturday morning, her Twitter account had also been set to private and her website appears to be unavailable.

In response to Tynes’s tweet, transit officials asked her for more information and thanked her “for catching this and helping us make sure all Metro employees are held accountable.” Tynes then provided further details, including the time, the train the employee was traveling on and direction that it was headed. Metro rules ban eating, drinking, smoking and littering on buses or trains and in stations. But it’s common to see riders violating the rule — particularly against drinking beverages [...]

In response to the incident, Rare Birds Books, a publishing house that was set to distribute Tynes’s upcoming novel, “They Called Me Wyatt,” has decided not to do so. The book is about a Jordanian student who is murdered and realizes that her “consciousness” has inhabited Wyatt, a 3-year-old boy with speech delays, according the synopsis.

Rare Birds Books said in a statement Friday that it had learned that the author “did something truly horrible today in tweeting a picture of a metro worker eating her breakfast on the train this morning and drawing attention to her employer. Black women face a constant barrage of this kind of inappropriate behavior directed toward them and a constant policing of their bodies.

“We think this is unacceptable and have no desire to be involved with anyone who thinks it’s acceptable to jeopardize a person’s safety and employment in this way.”

The company then urged Tynes’s publisher, California Coldblood, to cut ties with the author as well.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/transpor ... s-jeopardy
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: Let's See How Much Traction This One Gets

Post by Fat Cat »

:finga: Love watching the left eat itself. Fuck em all.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

Was she eating keto? That's the only relevant question.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Does being a Jordanian female trump being a Black female? Apparently not.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

We need a comprehensive taxonomic hierarchy of victimhood to really know how to feel about this. Like does black trump a-rab? Does tranny trump fag? How does this brave new world work?

Or perhaps we could just gas them all.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

[quote="Fat Cat" post_id=883350 time=1557787320 user_id=21
Or perhaps we could just gas them all.
[/quote]

Don't be a silly goose.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

This is fucked up on so many levels. Worthy of some weird Chuck Palahniuk short story.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

seeahill wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:44 am
Fat Cat wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:42 pm Or perhaps we could just gas them all.
Don't be a silly goose.
I will gas people if I want to and you can't stop me. [-X

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

johno wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:31 pm Does being a Jordanian female trump being a Black female? Apparently not.
A weird (to me) theme running through this is that Arabs either aren't People of Color (or she's a White Arab-- ala George Zimmerman being a White Hispanic).

Also that she's employed as a social media expert.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Other interesting aspect-- one of the reasons the union gave for the employee eating on the train was that there were rat problems in the underground employee break areas. The primary reason Metro gives for not allowing eating on the train is that it attracts rats.

And DC is one of the most rat infested cities in the US.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

I think what this boils down to is nobody likes a rat (you see what I did there...)
Don’t believe everything you think.

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

This story appears to have died a quick death. Shows what I know.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

I am fascinated to see how reporting/complaining etc. to the authorities has become a completely acceptable action. In the former USSR, where informing on "the enemies of the people" as fairly widespread, it was a mostly a morally forbidden activity, and most informers were recruited forcefully by the appropriate authorities, usually for the exchange of pardon for their own transgressions. There was also a social group of severely brainwashed people who reported members of their own family to the police - for political jokes, stealing from factories etc. However, in the eyes of the majority they were wankers.

I can't keep wondering how reporting got so prevalent and, more importantly, acceptable, in the Free World. In 2002 I spent a month in Saudi Arabia working as an anaesthetist. In my first week there I sat down at the computer in the operating theatre and checked my email. It was not allowed by the policy of the hospital, but of course I didn't give a fuck. To my surprise an American nurse said: "Get off the computer or I will report you". Sure, I got myself in trouble with authorities in USSR and South Africa a few times. For example, our neighbours reported me and my step brother to the police for making noise and spilling half a barrel of moonshine brew (the glass bottle with this pretty stinking stuff broke when I was moving it, and about 30 liters spilled to the floor, later to drip through the neighbours' ceiling. My elderly neighbour in Johannesburg called the fire brigade when I was burning papers in the yard. The smoke - lots of it - bothered her. IN both of these examples the complaint was to stop the inconvenience and discomfort created by me, and I get it. But the threat or reporting me for something not directly affecting the potential informer - that was new.

I would understand if this Jordanian woman reported that black girl if she herself got in trouble for eating on the train. But she did it because he ego got hurt, and most reporting I see is done for the same reason. My friend was visiting someone in the block of flats - got reported to the building manager for accepting guest parking for longer than two hours determined by the rules. Again, it's not because someone needed this parking spot, but because "it's against the rules". Fuck the rules! Do you need the parking spot? If not, what the fuck!?

I say keep your ego in check. Assert yourself in a grand way: achieve something. Sport, work, money, write a bestseller or what not, but don't get the measly satisfaction in a cheap revenge of telling on someone. I get fascinated by altercations on the rugby field: big guys usually smile and don't push back: they know their worth! It's the same in everyday life: those who know their value, are happy with their lives and are not anxious about what others thing about them don't respond to insults and don't get satisfaction by doing shit to others.

Namaste...

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

Sangoma wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:25 amI can't keep wondering how reporting got so prevalent and, more importantly, acceptable, in the Free World. In 2002 I spent a month in Saudi Arabia working as an anaesthetist. In my first week there I sat down at the computer in the operating theatre and checked my email. It was not allowed by the policy of the hospital, but of course I didn't give a fuck. To my surprise an American nurse said: "Get off the computer or I will report you".
I agree with your exasperation at these Stukachi. There are reasonable thresholds for complaint. If the behavior does not hurt you and will not potentially threaten you, leave it alone. If it offends you, deal with it.

As we say in English, "Mind your own business".
Don't like yourself too much.

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Natasha Tynes, an award-winning Jordanian American author who lost a book deal following claims of online racism, is suing her publishing house for $13 million. The lawsuit, filed in California on Friday, alleges that Rare Bird Books breached its contract and defamed her, causing “extreme emotional distress” and destroying her reputation. [A D.C. author shamed a Metro worker for eating on the train. Now her book deal is in jeopardy.] [...]

The lawsuit alleges that Rare Bird’s statement was defamatory. According to the complaint, Tynes “did not police a black woman’s body,” “did not engage in any act of racism” and “took no action that could have possibly jeopardized anybody’s safety,” except, perhaps, her own. After the tweet and the resulting uproar, Tynes was hospitalized for “an acute anxiety reaction and suicidal ideations,” the complaint says. She was placed on administrative leave by her employer, and the Goodreads book review website received a barrage of negative reviews for the not-yet-published novel. Tynes began receiving online threats, the lawsuit said, and she became the subject of racial slurs, including being called a “terrorist,” “a plane bomber,” “un-American” and “a radical Muslim,” while others called for her deportation. Court papers also said she temporarily returned to Jordan on May 21, fearing her family “would be the subject of violence, reprisals and harassment at the hands of a mob incited by Rare Bird if she remained in the United States.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/transpor ... a9195aa692

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

From 2016:
Video of an incident involving a black teenage girl and several members of Washington DC's metro transit police has authorities facing intense criticism and accusations of excessive force. According to the description of the video posted to YouTube on Tuesday:

(Name witheld)…was commuting home with her friends from Bell High School. She was walking to the metro gates with a bag of chips and lollipop then stopped by transit police because she had food. That's all the back story I was able to get from her and her friends. When filming started after they had already handcuffed her.

In the footage, which was shared by the Washington DC chapter of the Black Lives Matter Network, the unnamed teen is shown standing until a officer grasps her by the arm, and kicks her leg out from under her in an attempt to seat her on the ground. When she tries to stand again, the officer puts his hand on her shoulder and pushes her back down.
https://splinternews.com/dc-cops-violen ... 1793863032
FWIW, I've been to that metro station (Columbia Heights for those who know the area)-- it's never dull.

Video posted because it gets hilarious at 2:00.