Covid news

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Covid news

Post by Sangoma »

The real reason for the thread is to check if I can actually post. The topic is interesting nevertheless. There is virtually no covid in Australia, and even as the clinician I have not come across a single patient.

How are things covid wise in the US of A? I know the stats, more or less, which doesn't tell the full story. A friend of mine is an anaesthetist in California, and his impression of the epidemic is different from that in the media. So, dear American friends, how do things feel on the ground? Lockdowns? Masks? Boosters?

Topic author
Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Covid news

Post by Sangoma »

By the way, after I hit the "submit" button I got the message "Tried to redirect to potentially insecure url." What's up?

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Covid news

Post by baffled »

Sangoma wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:28 am The real reason for the thread is to check if I can actually post. The topic is interesting nevertheless. There is virtually no covid in Australia, and even as the clinician I have not come across a single patient.

How are things covid wise in the US of A? I know the stats, more or less, which doesn't tell the full story. A friend of mine is an anaesthetist in California, and his impression of the epidemic is different from that in the media. So, dear American friends, how do things feel on the ground? Lockdowns? Masks? Boosters?
I'm in one of the more conservative counties in California and I see about 50/50 masked to not.

Most people I know are vaxxed. I have yet to see anyone flip out over people being too close or confronting someone else for not masking up. Just over the county line a family friend was part of like 5 people who all were more or less calling each other retarded over masks. It was at a crafts store or something I think
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Covid news

Post by Fat Cat »

Sangoma wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:28 am even as the clinician I have not come across a single patient.
Improper use of the definite article, Slav detected.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Covid news

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

In Texas. You have a minority of scared people, most everyone else is going about their life at this point.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Covid news

Post by baffled »

I will note that you'll see a lot of people masking alone on walks, in their cars etc, but nobody ever hassles anyone. Everyone pretty much just leaves each other alone up here.

Our sheriff put out a release at the beginning that they wouldn't be doing any covid enforcement ie, masks or lockdown stuff. Local police chief followed inside of a day. By last fall 2020, masks were 50/50 and then ticked down, and now back up a bit.
- Buck Brannaman

Topic author
Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Covid news

Post by Sangoma »

Fat Cat wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:55 pm
Sangoma wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:28 am even as the clinician I have not come across a single patient.
Improper use of the definite article, Slav detected.
Guilty. Fuck. Ze fuck.

Bennyonesix1

Covid news

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

What is wrong with your brain?

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Covid news

Post by Fat Cat »

baffled wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:19 am I will note that you'll see a lot of people masking alone on walks, in their cars etc,
That's the one that kills me. Driving, alone, masked. I think some people just like to be punished. My state is full of rule-following Asian-Americans and EVERYONE wears masks in public places. It has made fuck all difference, of coarse, but there you are.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Covid news

Post by tough old man »

I havent followed the mask mandate. Only when required at work. Fuck it, deliver my groceries and Ill shop Amazon. I will stay on my kayak fishing and everyone else can FO.
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

motherjuggs&speed

Covid news

Post by motherjuggs&speed »

Fat Cat wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:35 pm
I think some people just like to be punished.
I think this accounts for a lot of the problems we have. People blame the sadists and tyrants but a lot of the horrors wouldn't happen without people's willingness to keep getting done. This includes me. It took me a long time to understand my own complicity.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Covid news

Post by baffled »

baffled wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:19 am I will note that you'll see a lot of people masking alone on walks, in their cars etc,
That's the one that kills me. Driving, alone, masked. I think some people just like to be punished. My state is full of rule-following Asian-Americans and EVERYONE wears masks in public places. It has made fuck all difference, of coarse, but there you are.
As an update, I stopped by the Walmart neighborhood store and probably 80% of people were masked. Lots of people kept them on all the way to their cars from what I could tell.

I don't get it.
- Buck Brannaman

Ronald RayGun

Covid news

Post by Ronald RayGun »

Here in stunning Central Oregon, people firmly don't give a fuck. I love them.
"Sorry I didn't save the world, my friend. I was too busy building mine again" - Kendrick Lamar

Topic author
Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Covid news

Post by Sangoma »

I am now considering moving to Central Oregon.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Covid news

Post by nafod »

Sangoma wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:28 am How are things covid wise in the US of A? I know the stats, more or less, which doesn't tell the full story. A friend of mine is an anaesthetist in California, and his impression of the epidemic is different from that in the media. So, dear American friends, how do things feel on the ground? Lockdowns? Masks? Boosters?
For the first time in the entire shitshow of a pandemic, and in fact for the first time for any reason ever, our local hospital ER shut down for any new patients for almost 24 hours. We're in the middle of another surge of stupidity as the hospital fills with unvaccinated martyrs and smart people have to take an hour-long ambulance ride to get seen. No elective surgeries (like getting a tumor removed) until after Christmas.
baffled wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:55 am
As an update, I stopped by the Walmart neighborhood store and probably 80% of people were masked. Lots of people kept them on all the way to their cars from what I could tell.

I don't get it.
So you don't have to carry it or put it in your pocket, I assume.

Tired of wearing it myself, but at certain times I find that breathing with it on brings my awareness onto the breathing, and it can be meditative, especially in a meeting I don't want to be at.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Covid news

Post by Fat Cat »

Sangoma wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:29 am By the way, after I hit the "submit" button I got the message "Tried to redirect to potentially insecure url." What's up?
I get that and 'Ajax" errors all the time.

Bennyonesix1

Covid news

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

This girl with a banging body and beautiful eyes at the coffee place who wears sweatshirts without a bra was not wearing a mask today and I was sad.

Topic author
Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Covid news

Post by Sangoma »

Excess deaths

Interesting table.

motherjuggs&speed

Covid news

Post by motherjuggs&speed »

I'm not buying it.

1) The economist isn't what it once was. It's now owned by banks. It's also very much about pushing the current narrative. The Economist will always be in favor of more government, which leads us to

2) The article you linked is propaganda in favor of house arrest and travel restrictions. It asserts over and over that lockdowns are good and the thing that prevents deaths. It also deliberately omits the many problems with determining whether a given death is Covid related. The authors are at pains to emphasize they're only counting excess deaths, but: How many people have died who wouldn't have without the lockdown? From all causes. Suicide, untreated conditions, etc. -- what is that number?

I should include my bias, if you want to call it that. Even if Covid were like the Black Plague it would be better to let it run it's course than to impose these draconian measures. Society will never recover, and we're going to see a depression that will last longer than and be worse than the Depression.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Covid news

Post by nafod »

motherjuggs&speed wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:05 am Even if Covid were like the Black Plague it would be better to let it run it's course
Even after the vaccine came out, because of the Delta variants way increased contagiousness we’ve killed an extra (preventable) few hundred thousand. Our local hospital is at its limit, even though we have over half of the people here vaccinated, including the most vulnerable. They closed off the freaking ER to all people for a period.

Pause to consider if Delta had hit and we had no vaccines, and we followed your prescription of letting it run its course, no restrictions, no masks, no nothing (I presume you mean).

We dodged a pretty big bullet by getting the vaccine before Delta showed up. Ho-ly shit did we dodge a bullet.

A close run thing
Don’t believe everything you think.

Topic author
Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Covid news

Post by Sangoma »

motherjuggs&speed wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:05 am I'm not buying it.

1) The economist isn't what it once was. It's now owned by banks. It's also very much about pushing the current narrative. The Economist will always be in favor of more government, which leads us to

2) The article you linked is propaganda in favor of house arrest and travel restrictions. It asserts over and over that lockdowns are good and the thing that prevents deaths. It also deliberately omits the many problems with determining whether a given death is Covid related. The authors are at pains to emphasize they're only counting excess deaths, but: How many people have died who wouldn't have without the lockdown? From all causes. Suicide, untreated conditions, etc. -- what is that number?
I am guessing every media outlet has to follow the accepted narrative. But I think the table is a hidden message of sorts. Excess mortality in most countries even at their peaks of the pandemic is pretty modest in most instances. It is also interesting to go through it to see the effects of various degrees of lockdowns on the numbers, which, in short, is less than impressive.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Covid news

Post by Fat Cat »

nafod wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:38 pm we’ve killed an extra (preventable) few hundred thousand
You can't actually be that retarded and still hold a job. "We" did not kill a motherfucking thing. Just admit that you know nothing and that all of your conclusions were utter garbage and then remain silent for the rest of your life. Consider:

- People over 74 are more than half of those who died. The average age of mortality from all causes is lower than the average age of death from 'rona.

- People under 50 are just 6.7% of all those who died.

- The only people who should be getting vaccinated are those with risk factors, and those over 65. And anyone who wants it. But 99.999% of the rest of the people would be better off getting infected and recovering naturally.

Source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/119 ... by-age-us/

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Covid news

Thu OMNUCRUN is cummin' oh fuhkin no. lets lockdown and cringe some more.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Covid news

Post by Fat Cat »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:53 pm Thu OMNUCRUN is cummin' oh fuhkin no. lets lockdown and cringe some more.

I can't help but think of Unicron whenever I hear that goddamn word.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Covid news

Around here we have a lot of immigrants. They are fucking terrified and wear masks in their car. Meanwhile I saw three guys kissing each other at the same time in East Downtown Houston last Saturday