Jiujitsu Unleashed by Eddie Bravo

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Tom Furman
Corporal

Jiujitsu Unleashed by Eddie Bravo

Post by Tom Furman »

Buy the book. Eddie's innovations take his JJ to a level that can no longer be described as BJJ. It is 10th Planet JJ. He uses the Harness or Gable grip extensively with underhooks, half guard, rubber guard, twister, etc. His setups and sweeps are very applicable and innovative. This kid is a bit of a savante when it comes to movement. I like his philosophy. He didn't like Gi sparring and went to his instructor JJ Machado for advice. As you know Jean Jacques lacks fingers on his right hand. This causes him to deal with ALL grappling on that side of his body like their is NO gi. Bravo added this to his high school wrestling and included things he invented or rediscovered. His inventions happened because he failed and used his stumbling blocks as stepping stones.

I am looking forward to playing with this stuff. I am lazy with grappling since getting silat guys on the mat and leg locking them is not that hard. Compared to a blue belt,.....I suck donkey's however. I intend to play alot with Bravo's material.

Get the book and dog ear it, bring it to training, and drill, drill, drill. It will change your game and you will beat advanced people with basic clinching on the mat and Bravo's innovations. Remember, as a brown belt, Bravo tapped out Royler Gracie with a Triangle. He was WAY in over his head against Viera, Gracie, and Yoshida, but entered the tourney anyway. He ended up beating one of the most technical fighters on the planet.

Tom Furman

--Tom Furman
"Do you believe in Jesus?"
---Yes.
"Well, you're gonna meet him!"

Charles Bronson, Death Wish 2

judobrian

Post by judobrian »

So this is exclusively no-gi material?
Rain don't change the sun...

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

I think Bravo's stuff is only so-so. The goods are the half guard sweeps, like Old School, which I really like. The bad is the fancy twister type stuff. Once you know what to look for it is nothing, which is a criticism true of most of his "innovations". As far as his style being revolutionary, I completely disagree. It's evolutionary, perhaps. He won one major tournament, and props to him, but Royler has won dozens of world-class competitions, and was winning that match until the very end. JMO.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Topic author
Tom Furman
Corporal

Post by Tom Furman »

Evolutionary is better. I think the harness or Gable grip is very well handled. The twister is just flash, but then again, so is flying triangles and armbars. Not fearing halfguard but embracing it is nice as well. The rubber guard is Nino Schembri's if I am not mistaken, but Bravo exploits it well. I like his Twister side control too. I think that would take alot of coaching though.

Royler had countered several thousand triangles,...I think Bravo has some talent in setups and an innovative mind. Having Jean Jacques as an instructor has to make you incredible as well.

All of that being said,...I think Eddie Bravo is onto something. He will be fighting a challenge match down here. I hope I can see it.

Bravo does need some KB's and Dragging and plain old GPP.

--Tom
"Do you believe in Jesus?"
---Yes.
"Well, you're gonna meet him!"

Charles Bronson, Death Wish 2