Trumpling the Truth

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Re: Trumpling the Truth

Post by bennyonesix »

Herv100 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:07 am Nafod: "This is how we deal with Nazis... Except when we pay them to overthrow Ukraine"

Or to maintain order in South America (Pinochet) or be a bulwark against communism in Africa (Rhodesia and South Africa) or MENA (gaddafi and saddam and Israel).

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

What do you democrats make of this "tear down the monuments!" stuff?

I think you'll never win another election if this keeps up.

Then again, it's nice to finally show people that the goal is to eliminate history and remake society entirely.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

TerryB wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:41 am What do you democrats make of this "tear down the monuments!" stuff?

I think you'll never win another election if this keeps up.

Then again, it's nice to finally show people that the goal is to eliminate history and remake society entirely.
The GOP screwed up when it allowed the Nazis and white supremacists under the big tent. Getting them out, or at least back in the basement, is job one. Then get back to back to work.

There may be hope for those of you who played 'just the tip' with Milo, but I don't know.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

TerryB wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:41 am What do you democrats make of this "tear down the monuments!" stuff?
Confederate monuments are dumb and everybody knows it. We don't have Hitler and OBL statues to remember our history. The statues were put up during Reconstruction and the civil rights era by backward-looking racists looking to put black folks back in their alleged place.

Since you now have Trump and Nazis supporting the statues, two historically unpopular political entities, this is a new punching bag that further derails the GOP agenda.

Zero elected Republicans will defend this on TV. That wouldn't be the case if this is a huge losing issue for Democrats.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:19 am
Confederate monuments are dumb and everybody knows it. We don't have Hitler and OBL statues to remember our history. The statues were put up during Reconstruction and the civil rights era by backward-looking racists looking to put black folks back in their alleged place.

Since you now have Trump and Nazis supporting the statues, two historically unpopular political entities, this is a new punching bag that further derails the GOP agenda.

Zero elected Republicans will defend this on TV. That wouldn't be the case if this is a huge losing issue for Democrats.
I'm taking a break from this subject but I'll offer a last rant.

The story for generations has been a war of brother against brother that was followed by a long and difficult coming together that strengthened us as a nation.

Civil war monuments are not exclusively southern. The largest monument in my Yankee city (and it's the center of our main square) is dedicated to the civil war. The mammoth Soldiers and Sailors monument in Indianapolis has much to do with the civil war. Small towns across the American north and south have little monuments and obelisks commemorating the bravery of locals in the Civil War.

If people on the wrong side of slavery and civil rights can't have statues, Jefferson, Washington, and many others need to lose their monuments. Jefferson is believed to have had a child with his slave Sally Hemings and a slave is not free to consent to sex. Why is slave holding Lee who seceded from the US unworthy while slave holding rapist Jefferson who seceded from England is worthy?

There are huge statues of Lee and Meade facing each other across the Gettysburg field of battle. To be consistent Antifa should be out there defacing Lee's statue tonight.

Just 2 days ago a Chicago pastor asked Rahm Emanuel to remove the names of Washington and Jackson from city parks in neighborhoods that are now black. He thinks it's inappropriate and offensive.

They lack the ring of "What do we want, dead cops. When do we want them, now", but I wonder if Antifa and its SJW allies would condemn the gentle conciliatory spirit of the speaker of these words.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

I grew up in Virginia, visited all of the battlefields, had a confederate flag beach towel, and was in a fraternity in college that was a southern frat with pictures of Bobby Lee over the fireplace. At the same time, we'd have jacked up any nazis or KKK type folks. It was mostly just lost cause myth and good drinking songs. We had a Mexican in our frat, and we had an annual "migrant farm workers" party in his name while he was there. Seven years. There's probably a Lee magnet on my fridge.

I figure if the citizens of Charlottesville don't want the statue in their open public spaces, and have voiced that opinion democratically through the council via vote, then that is their decision to make. Same for Baltimore, Durham, etc. Outsiders can STFU, on both sides.

Having the nazis associated with the confederate flag and statues really threw a turd in the punch bowl.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Does the ACLU support free speech or subsidize extreme speech?
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-acl ... story.html
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

The problem with Lee, Davis and other Confederate statues is not that they celebrate people who owned slaves, as many of our founding fathers did. The problem is that the celebrate people who waged a bloody war against our country in order to preserve slavery.

The claim that the statues are simply preserving our history is not consistent with the fact that Civil War monuments are disproportionately Confederate.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

looks to me as though many of these nazis, klansmen, et al are not high achievers. they'd be better off supporting progressives, who policies will do more for them than the heartless capitalism of the owner class.

but they're trapped by their bigotry into screwing themselves. think of all those barefoot southern boys getting their asses shot so bobby lee could whip his slaves.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

I get Confederate monuments in the former Confederate states. I even kind of get Confederate monuments in Maryland (a slave state on the Union side). I don't get Confederate monuments in any other Union states, especially in progressive bastions, and why they've survived so long.
Once again, a plaque honoring Jefferson Davis, the president of the Confederacy, has been removed from the park at Horton Plaza.

The sudden move Wednesday morning by the city of San Diego came nearly 71 years after it was taken down the first time — shortly after the plaque was installed amid considerable civic controversy.

Back then, the impetus came from a group of Union Army veterans who, backed by a series of front-page newspaper articles, petitioned the City Council to get rid of the monument in the heart of downtown San Diego.

This time, it was another petition drive and a flurry of social media activity, texts from a state assemblywoman and a quick order by the mayor. It was over and done before most people knew what happened.
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/new ... story.html

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

I think we can all agree that Infrastructure Week went great.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

His next Chief of Staff will be General Pershing

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

nafod wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:06 pm I grew up in Virginia, visited all of the battlefields, had a confederate flag beach towel, and was in a fraternity in college that was a southern frat with pictures of Bobby Lee over the fireplace. At the same time, we'd have jacked up any nazis or KKK type folks. It was mostly just lost cause myth and good drinking songs. We had a Mexican in our frat, and we had an annual "migrant farm workers" party in his name while he was there. Seven years. There's probably a Lee magnet on my fridge.

I figure if the citizens of Charlottesville don't want the statue in their open public spaces, and have voiced that opinion democratically through the council via vote, then that is their decision to make. Same for Baltimore, Durham, etc. Outsiders can STFU, on both sides.

Having the nazis associated with the confederate flag and statues really threw a turd in the punch bowl.
Lolo just lolololololo.

You are legacy tidewater cavalier fgt aren't you?

Or were you too dumb for the fam to get you into Mr. Jefferson's College?

Dumb as a box of rocks bred out scion spastically aping your smarter fellows in nat sec and state.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

dead man walking wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:16 pm looks to me as though many of these nazis, klansmen, et al are not high achievers. they'd be better off supporting progressives, who policies will do more for them than the heartless capitalism of the owner class.

but they're trapped by their bigotry into screwing themselves. think of all those barefoot southern boys getting their asses shot so bobby lee could whip his slaves.
Think of all those yankee hicks and kingdom rednecks and bog irish and krauts the Secret Six and delusional psychotic
Abe threw into the meatgrinder to preserve the union (as if this is definitionally a good thing) and to bathe the sins of the nation in blood.

Dying for delusional degenerate Pilgrim scions is better than what the CSA fought for?

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Turdacious wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:48 pm I get Confederate monuments in the former Confederate states. I even kind of get Confederate monuments in Maryland (a slave state on the Union side). I don't get Confederate monuments in any other Union states, especially in progressive bastions, and why they've survived so long.
Once again, a plaque honoring Jefferson Davis, the president of the Confederacy, has been removed from the park at Horton Plaza.

The sudden move Wednesday morning by the city of San Diego came nearly 71 years after it was taken down the first time — shortly after the plaque was installed amid considerable civic controversy.

Back then, the impetus came from a group of Union Army veterans who, backed by a series of front-page newspaper articles, petitioned the City Council to get rid of the monument in the heart of downtown San Diego.

This time, it was another petition drive and a flurry of social media activity, texts from a state assemblywoman and a quick order by the mayor. It was over and done before most people knew what happened.
Great work San Diego but it's time to look in the mirror and start doing penance for your own sins. California's evil mission system culturally and physically destroyed many innocent aboriginal peoples. Those of Hispanic descent or the Roman Catholic faith may object but the missions essentially honor genocide and they've got to go.
Dark terrible secrets
Junipero Serra was no saint

I'm really starting to enjoy finding and cleansing evil. It's refreshing like a gin & tonic on a summer day.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

bennyonesix wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:44 pm You are legacy tidewater cavalier fgt aren't you?
Uhhh, hardly. Navy enlisted brat whose dad had his last duty station in VA. Before that it was RI, good Yankee territory.

Wish my dad could have given me a $1,000,000 seed money and a legacy acceptance to an Ivy school.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

DrDonkeyLove wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:50 pm
Turdacious wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:48 pm I get Confederate monuments in the former Confederate states. I even kind of get Confederate monuments in Maryland (a slave state on the Union side). I don't get Confederate monuments in any other Union states, especially in progressive bastions, and why they've survived so long.

Great work San Diego but it's time to look in the mirror and start doing penance for your own sins. California's evil mission system culturally and physically destroyed many innocent aboriginal peoples. Those of Hispanic descent or the Roman Catholic faith may object but the missions essentially honor genocide and they've got to go.
Dark terrible secrets
Junipero Serra was no saint

I'm really starting to enjoy finding and cleansing evil. It's refreshing like a gin & tonic on a summer day.
Just don't expect Cali to cop to their actual Naziesque history:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alex-ster ... 31287.html

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:46 pm I think we can all agree that Infrastructure Week went great.
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Turdacious wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:35 am
The GOP screwed up when it allowed the Nazis and white supremacists under the big tent.
When did they do that? And please don't cite headlines to prove your point.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

TerryB wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:42 am
The GOP screwed up when it allowed the Nazis and white supremacists under the big tent.
At a national level? 2016. They need to go back to the basement, with some Baby Ruth bars.

Go soothe your prolapsed asshole; get an HIV test if he went raw.

Yes, I'm drunk

Post by Yes, I'm drunk »

“An anti-Semite used to mean a man who hated Jews. Now it means a man who is hated by Jews.”

― Joseph Sobran

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

nafod wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:45 pm
bennyonesix wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:44 pm You are legacy tidewater cavalier fgt aren't you?
Uhhh, hardly. Navy enlisted brat whose dad had his last duty station in VA. Before that it was RI, good Yankee territory.

Wish my dad could have given me a $1,000,000 seed money and a legacy acceptance to an Ivy school.
Uhh Chelsea has earned everything she's ever been given tyvm.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

Turdacious wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:31 am
At a national level? 2016. They need to go back to the basement, with some Baby Ruth bars.

Tendentious bullshit. Do you ever not mislead?

Define Nazi.

Define White Supremacist.

You won't because just like room temp iq nafod your re-definition of those terms relies on you keeping your redefinition secret from your audience.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

bennyonesix wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:42 pm
Turdacious wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:31 am

Tendentious bullshit. Do you ever not mislead?

Define Nazi.

Define White Supremacist.

You won't because just like room temp iq nafod your re-definition of those terms relies on you keeping your redefinition secret from your audience.