Steve Maxwell on JRE

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

User avatar
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 21115
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:26 pm

Re: Steve Maxwell on JRE

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:27 pm

I've thought long and hard about shit like that. I hit my off switch 11 years ago.

User avatar
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 21115
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:26 pm

Re: Steve Maxwell on JRE

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:29 pm

Never learned to turn it back on.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 19089
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Re: Steve Maxwell on JRE

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:33 pm

Holland swears if I start BJJ my ego will go into remission and I won't care about anything but grabbing sweaty men in a purely recreational manner.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

User avatar
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 21115
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:26 pm

Re: Steve Maxwell on JRE

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:34 pm

I'm afraid it would evoke high school wrasslin' feelings and I'd spaz out

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 19089
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Re: Steve Maxwell on JRE

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:41 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I'm afraid it would evoke high school wrasslin' feelings and I'd spaz out
I'm 900% sure you're correct for both of us.

I do need to consider the fact the boy is closing in my height at 13 and will outweigh me by 17...and he already tries to slap chokes on me whenever he can.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

User avatar
Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major
Posts: 4722
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:13 am
Location: The Usual Gang of Idiots

Re: Steve Maxwell on JRE

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:16 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I've thought long and hard about shit like that. I hit my off switch 11 years ago.
I turned mine off when I got a real job out of college and started seeing the younger Cat 1/2 kids ride away from me. I realized I couldn't ride like I wanted given the time constraints of a full time job, and made the decision that I wasn't going to live the vagabond life some of my friends lived where they sort of worked, but only enough to fund the next race, weed, and Mexican food.

I for sure haven't been able to turn that competitive switch back on for much more than a few months at a time.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

User avatar
syaigh
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5693
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:29 am
Location: Surrounded by short irrational people

Re: Steve Maxwell on JRE

Post by syaigh » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:58 pm

If one is patient, greatness can be stalked for decades.

I just plan on outliving the competition. Im quite certain that if I avoid injury and survive long enough I'll be a world champion in something.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

User avatar
Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 14137
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:32 am
Location: GAWD'S Country
Contact:

Re: Steve Maxwell on JRE

Post by Holland Oates » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:29 pm

syaigh wrote:If one is patient, greatness can be stalked for decades.

I just plan on outliving the competition. Im quite certain that if I avoid injury and survive long enough I'll be a world champion in something.
Truthiness
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Ericc
Sgt. Major
Posts: 4470
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:51 am

Re: Steve Maxwell on JRE

Post by Ericc » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:39 pm

Threads gotten pretty interesting. I have to admit a fleeting competitiveness when I see an age group member just ahead or a few steps behind. Other than that I'm just going through the motions and pretending to be someone. Mostly I'm just enjoying the day. My training has reached the point where it serves to help me enjoy the day, longer, and more happily, through the most painful parts.

User avatar
SubClaw
Top
Posts: 1765
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:01 pm

Re: Steve Maxwell on JRE

Post by SubClaw » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:40 am

Blaidd Drwg wrote:Holland swears if I start BJJ my ego will go into remission and I won't care about anything but grabbing sweaty men in a purely recreational manner.
I disagree. The moment you start training BJJ you will enter an entire new realm to obsses yourself with. It's the perfect storm brewing: newbie gainz + appettite for destruction + self imposed ban on enjoyment of life.

You would probably make an excellent competitor, though.

User avatar
SubClaw
Top
Posts: 1765
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:01 pm

Re: Steve Maxwell on JRE

Post by SubClaw » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:41 am

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I'm afraid it would evoke high school wrasslin' feelings and I'd spaz out
Why don't you join an amateur rugby club?

User avatar
Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 6704
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Steve Maxwell on JRE

Post by Sangoma » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:02 am

I though the interview was quite good. Sure, certain things I won't agree with, but that's life. Even though they can be irritating as fuck, opinionated people are fun to listen to and make life more interesting. And to be fair Maxwell has more than something to show for his talk, being one of the first black belts in the US, the fact that has trained all his life and being in the shape the majority of his contemporaries (and younger) will be jealous of. One could do worse than isometrics, SuperSlow and (maybe even) astrology.
Image

User avatar
SubClaw
Top
Posts: 1765
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:01 pm

Re: Steve Maxwell on JRE

Post by SubClaw » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:07 am

Sangoma wrote:One could do worse than isometrics, SuperSlow and (maybe even) astrology.
Is he into SS now? Why?

User avatar
mike.b
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:58 am

Re: Steve Maxwell on JRE

Post by mike.b » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:18 am



This is a more recent interview with Steve.
He comes out a really cool cat. He's the only guy who I've paid for his products rather than steal them online him and Ross.

User avatar
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 21115
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:26 pm

Re: Steve Maxwell on JRE

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:02 pm

The last Rogan was like 2 days ago, you fucking mouthbreather. lulz.

Rugby? If I would have kept playing, I would have been one of those old dudes hobbing around the pitch held together by duct tape, baling wire, and evil. Instead, I quite before every joint was compromised. I am pretty sure I would be a quadraplegic if I did one more season.

User avatar
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 21115
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:26 pm

Re: Steve Maxwell on JRE

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:03 pm

And any London Real involves the interviewer deep throating his interviewee for like an hour on end. It's a terrible show.

User avatar
Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 6291
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:11 pm

Re: Steve Maxwell on JRE

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:47 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:And any London Real involves the interviewer deep throating his interviewee for like an hour on end. It's a terrible show.
Srsly...I wanna slap that faggot's head off of his shoulders.

User avatar
Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 6291
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:11 pm

Re: Steve Maxwell on JRE

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:49 pm

syaigh wrote:If one is patient, greatness can be stalked for decades.
Image

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 19089
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Re: Steve Maxwell on JRE

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:02 pm

Sangoma wrote:I though the interview was quite good. Sure, certain things I won't agree with, but that's life. Even though they can be irritating as fuck, opinionated people are fun to listen to and make life more interesting. And to be fair Maxwell has more than something to show for his talk, being one of the first black belts in the US, the fact that has trained all his life and being in the shape the majority of his contemporaries (and younger) will be jealous of. One could do worse than isometrics, SuperSlow and (maybe even) astrology.
You could do worse... But not by much.

In order - isometrics are a waste of time as a standalone modality. SMax is still so delusional as to equate a pump and soreness with a great workout. Rubbish.

Super slow, again, roundly debunked, has applications as part* of a larger hypertrophy system and in rehab, as a general RX it's nonsense.

Also Spartans? Circus performers and fake wrestling? Wisdom of the ancients that was lost? GTFO

Remember, just because you're at a point in life where all you need do is mobility and some push-ups does not mean your methods are sound for everyone else. There's a place for a some of this...always integrated into a larger whole. Always in context. The way it's continually presented 90% of this shit belongs on the junk pile of history comrade.

Astrology? GFY. Spreading magical thinking is far worse than functional isos and those are mostly shit.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

User avatar
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 10902
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:08 pm

Re: Steve Maxwell on JRE

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:33 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Sangoma wrote:I though the interview was quite good. Sure, certain things I won't agree with, but that's life. Even though they can be irritating as fuck, opinionated people are fun to listen to and make life more interesting. And to be fair Maxwell has more than something to show for his talk, being one of the first black belts in the US, the fact that has trained all his life and being in the shape the majority of his contemporaries (and younger) will be jealous of. One could do worse than isometrics, SuperSlow and (maybe even) astrology.
You could do worse... But not by much.

In order - isometrics are a waste of time as a standalone modality. SMax is still so delusional as to equate a pump and soreness with a great workout. Rubbish.

Super slow, again, roundly debunked, has applications as part* of a larger hypertrophy system and in rehab, as a general RX it's nonsense.

Also Spartans? Circus performers and fake wrestling? Wisdom of the ancients that was lost? GTFO

Remember, just because you're at a point in life where all you need do is mobility and some push-ups does not mean your methods are sound for everyone else. There's a place for a some of this...always integrated into a larger whole. Always in context. The way it's continually presented 90% of this shit belongs on the junk pile of history comrade.

Astrology? GFY. Spreading magical thinking is far worse than functional isos and those are mostly shit.
Fuck's sake, man.
Image
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 19089
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Re: Steve Maxwell on JRE

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:41 pm

Contribute or jog on slut. Smet raised it.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

User avatar
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 21115
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:26 pm

Re: Steve Maxwell on JRE

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:41 pm

We could do posts on astrology and push ups every day. Hahahana

milosz
Top
Posts: 1876
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 10:40 pm

Re: Steve Maxwell on JRE

Post by milosz » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:44 pm

"Man, back off the Greeks. They invented civilization."
"Yeah? Ass-fucking, too."

User avatar
Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 6291
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:11 pm

Re: Steve Maxwell on JRE

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:06 pm

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Sangoma wrote:I though the interview was quite good. Sure, certain things I won't agree with, but that's life. Even though they can be irritating as fuck, opinionated people are fun to listen to and make life more interesting. And to be fair Maxwell has more than something to show for his talk, being one of the first black belts in the US, the fact that has trained all his life and being in the shape the majority of his contemporaries (and younger) will be jealous of. One could do worse than isometrics, SuperSlow and (maybe even) astrology.
You could do worse... But not by much.

In order - isometrics are a waste of time as a standalone modality. SMax is still so delusional as to equate a pump and soreness with a great workout. Rubbish.

Super slow, again, roundly debunked, has applications as part* of a larger hypertrophy system and in rehab, as a general RX it's nonsense.

Also Spartans? Circus performers and fake wrestling? Wisdom of the ancients that was lost? GTFO

Remember, just because you're at a point in life where all you need do is mobility and some push-ups does not mean your methods are sound for everyone else. There's a place for a some of this...always integrated into a larger whole. Always in context. The way it's continually presented 90% of this shit belongs on the junk pile of history comrade.

Astrology? GFY. Spreading magical thinking is far worse than functional isos and those are mostly shit.
Fuck's sake, man.
Image
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

User avatar
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 10902
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:08 pm

Re: Steve Maxwell on JRE

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:26 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:Contribute or jog on slut. Smet raised it.
Sure.

Since there's no one right way to train people, especially non-athletes with ambiguous goals, a smart trainer of these people will recognize his own biases and try mitigate them, while always realizing they're there.

Steve comes from a grappling background, and along with the fads he was exposed to over a very long career, those inform his methodology. They are going to be fundamentally different than somebody who spent a lot of time as a gymnast, or a T&F athlete, or a powerlifter. Since the client isn't any of these things, but many of them may be checking the boxes he is looking to check (healthier, stronger, leaner), you may have people from all these backgrounds training non-athlete normals or putting out products.

Since he's working with people who are not self-directed and love training for it's own sake (or they wouldn't need him) it also has to be fun. That may mean some novelty or shtick.

If he's getting his clients reasonable results that are relevant to their goals, and isn't advocating dangerous shit likely to injure them, he's doing his job.

You may think you have a more optimal methodology. Nobody cares.

As for wacky beliefs, nobody cares. People have almost stopped worshiping coaches, particularly those working with non-athlete adults. I didn't care if my dentist believes in The Secret. He's still a good dentist.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Post Reply